Video Movie- "More Than Honey"

Default Video Movie- "More Than Honey"

I am not sure if this video has been posted on the forum previously. I did a search but could not find that it had been posted.

http://www.theage.com.au/tv/Award-Wi...y-5000300.html

The following information about the movie came from the Honeybee Research Centre (CIBER) based at the University of Western Australia. The movie maker's son-in-law is head scientist at the latter research organisation.

("More than Honey": A movie about honey bees:- Over the last 7 years we were involved in the making of a theatrical movie, directed by Swiss movie maker Markus Imhoof. The movie provides fascinating insights into the biology of the honeybee and the relationships between mankind and bees and points out the importance of bees for our food production. The film also pictures a journey that searches for the possible reasons and consequences of the global decline in bee populations.
    CIBER provided the scientific advisory for the film, and some of our research is featured as well. The film has so far been screened in more than 23 different countries and won a number of prices such as the Academy awards for best documentary in both Switzerland and Germany.)

At this stage Australia is the only country in the world without varroa mite. Personally, I found the management style of the big American beekeeper, a bit confronting. As he said, his grandfather would not have approved to what he is now doing with the bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Video Movie- "More Than Honey"

Tried to go and watch it but it's not authorized for the US yet.
    Thomas Bartram

Check Netflix. It was available on Netflix. Maybe it still is. You have to choose which language to hear it in.

Two thumbs up on this movie. There are some little things, but mostly a fine movie.
    Mark Berninghausen

You can view the movie on Netflix. It's pretty good, worth watching I'd say. They also have the other movie silence of the bees on netflix.

Saw it on Netflix. Not bad, but it did present large commercial operations in a particularly unfavorable light. My biggest gripe is that they perpetuated the myth about Chinese having to hand-pollinate pears because there are no bees. The hand-pollination is true, but it's a deliberate, business decision, not because there aren't any bees.

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Bees View Post
    You can view the movie on Netflix. It's pretty good, worth watching I'd say. They also have the other movie silence of the bees on netflix.
    I think you mean the "vanishing of the bees". The silence is lambs.

Quote Originally Posted by indypartridge View Post
    Saw it on Netflix. Not bad, but it did present large commercial operations in a particularly unfavorable light. My biggest gripe is that they perpetuated the myth about Chinese having to hand-pollinate pears because there are no bees. The hand-pollination is true, but it's a deliberate, business decision, not because there aren't any bees.
    Essentially there are no bees or they wouldn't be hand-pollinating. I get what you are saying, just like in almolds if they didn't truck them in.

Quote Originally Posted by indypartridge View Post
    My biggest gripe is that they perpetuated the myth about Chinese having to hand-pollinate pears because there are no bees. The hand-pollination is true, but it's a deliberate, business decision, not because there aren't any bees.
    According to what they stated in the movie, the Chinese had a problem with birds and got rid of them, then the insects took over and they poisoned them and did so at the cost of all the bees. IMO I'd say they poisoned the place so bad that bees won't live when they do bring them there and it forces them to hand pollinate. I mean, would you really want to buy pollen from some place and crawl up in a tree with a little swab and pollinate if you knew that bees would still live fine if brought in?

I know I wouldn't.. Just saying maybe it's not such a "MYTH"...
    Thomas Bartram

Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    According to what they stated in the movie, the Chinese had a problem with birds and got rid of them, then the insects took over and they poisoned them and did so at the cost of all the bees. IMO I'd say they poisoned the place so bad that bees won't live when they do bring them there and it forces them to hand pollinate. I mean, would you really want to buy pollen from some place and crawl up in a tree with a little swab and pollinate if you knew that bees would still live fine if brought in?

I know I wouldn't.. Just saying maybe it's not such a "MYTH"...
    Ithink what indy was trying to say is the chinese have chose not to bring in bees instead they choose to hand pollinate. Perhaps labor cheaper than bees... Much like almonds the ecology is sterile

I remember something about a certain type of cucurbit in the us...they require a moth for pollination,well there is not enough moths or none at all for large scale pollination so the farm must hand pollinate. They never spoke of bees...something to do with when the flower opens.perhaps at night. Cant remember the specifics

I see what you're saying burns.. Makes sense too..
    Thomas Bartram

I've read that it's more economical for the Chinese farmers to hand pollinate some of their crops. Farmers discovered that the people pollinated crops resulted in more produce in many instances. There's a short window of time to effectively pollinate a lot of things there and if the weather is cool or rainy the bees don't do as good job as the people who are getting paid.
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards

The hand pollination is necessary because of the decision to grow a (very profitable) pear variety that does not bloom when the other types of pears bloom. Since this pear requires cross-fertilization, pollen must be collected when the other pears bloom, saved, then used to hand pollinate this exceptional pear.

Regardless of pesticides, bee can’t cross-pollinate if only one variety of pear is blooming.

What I got, and this was a while ago, was that the pears had to be pollinated w/ a certain other kind of pollen in order for those trees to produce edible fruit. They bought packages of pollen to use on those trees and went to the city to buy them.

I have one pear tree and don't get edible fruit. It takes two different kinds of pear trees to produce edible pears, from what I have heard.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    Tried to go and watch it but it's not authorized for the US yet.
    Get yourself a proxy server, I use HMA because we're always being blocked from viewing American content.
    https://www.hidemyass.com/
    Colino
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

That opening sequence is astounding!
    Colino
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

Quote Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
    I think you mean the "vanishing of the bees".
    Silence of the Bees is a PBS documentary from 2007.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN05ykoTVhk

Wayne