Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2-1 Sugar Syrup

31K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  rweaver7777 
#1 · (Edited)
If a 1-1 recipe for sugar syrup calls for 1 4lb bag of sugar and 3 qts. of water, wouldn't 2-1 call for 2 bags (4lb bags) of sugar to the same 3 qts. of water? Or am I completely missing something?

Thanks!

#4 ·
1 pint sugar is close to a pound.
1 pint of water is close to a pound.

Mixing sugar water at 2:1 makes the sugar crystallize in the water, I've found, it's hard for the sugar to stay in the liquid mix ( I don't heat my mix, I just use hot tap water). I mix my syrup at 5lbs sugar in a one gallon jug and fill with water to the top. That gives me about a 5:3 mix which stays mixed more readily than mixing true 2:1 syrup.

#5 ·
Sugar comes in all sorts of size bags. I've seen 1 pound, 4 pound, 5 pound, 10 pound, 20 pound, 25 pound and fifty pound. I don't see how you can say a recipe is a "bag of sugar"...

I've never had much luck getting 2:1 to dissolve, but that may be because of the hardness of the water around here. I can get 5:3 to dissolve and not crystallize very quickly if I boil the water and then add the sugar. That's 10 pounds of sugar to 6 pints of water. Or 20 pounds of sugar to 12 pints of water.

2:1 would be 20 pounds of sugar to 10 pints of water.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#ratios

#8 ·
Sugar comes in all sorts of size bags.

2:1 would be 20 pounds of sugar to 10 pints of water.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#ratios
Southwing, I read Mr. Bush's article here and followed it step by step, and came out with a perfect ratio of syrup today. Feed 40lb to the bees today, they took every bit of it within 12 hours.

1 pint of water to 2lb of sugar to get a 2:1. Bring water to boil, turn heat completely off, stir while slowly adding in sugar to dissolve.

If you purchase the common grocery store bag of sugar (ex: 4lb), then add 2 pints of water with the 4lb bag of sugar to get 2:1 ratio.

#7 · (Edited)
Your ratio is mine and my bees can't taste the difference I guess. As long as I get the water hot after mixing the two together it seems to stay in solution long enough to be gulped down right now. I also dump a 25 pound bag of sugar or three tens in two gallons of water and call that close enough. As long as you get them up in weight before it cools off too much you are fine.

#10 ·
Is it REALLY that important to get the mixture exact? I doubt the bees care as long as they can take it in. I simply put ballpark amounts of sugar and hot water into a bucket, stir, let settle, wait a couple of hours, stir, and let settle. It ends up being a saturated solution and that's what the bees get. The bees haven't complained so far.

#11 ·
Easy to make it in bulk at 1 gallon at a time. Syrup will be more than a gallon but assume you start with 1 gallon of water. 16 cups in a gallon of water. So to have two to one bee feed, you need 32 cups of sugar for 16 cups of water. Buy the 50 pound bags of sugar at costco they are $20 with tax included. Heat water and add 16 cups sugar then keep adding the other so it all dissolves evenly. If you have a top hive feeder that holds a gallon each side, it's pretty easy.

#12 ·
I use one 5 lb. bag of sugar, which is about 10 cups, to 5 cups of water (and so on and so forth). I don't have trouble with it dissolving as long as I shake it well and shake it right before I pour it. I use a gallon plastic container with a cap so it's shakeable. I don't heat the water.

It's fun to almost fill the container with dry sugar until you think - the water isn't going to fit in there! Then you pour the water in, the air bubbles escape and it dissolves, and you find you have extra room after all.

#13 ·
8 ounces of water weighs 8 ounces, and 8 ounces of sugar weighs 7.055 ounces

So if you mix two sugar volumes to one water volume, ie 16oz sugar to 8oz water then get

14.11oz/8oz which is 5.29:3 or 1.76:1.

So it is a little stronger than 5:3 but not as strong as 2:1. Hence, it will be a little easier to mix and slower to crystalize.

An easy way to mix sugar syrup to get the above mixture, is to fill a container to whatever volume you want, put a mark or note a mark on the container, add hot water to bring syrup mixture level up to the line. Result is 5.29:3 or 1.76:1.

#21 ·
LMAO!! yeah I feel the same way at times.

I guess this was to help the bees find the syrup in an in-frame feeder?
They dont need any help finding sugar syrup. Some add items to the syrup to bring the PH level up to where its more in tune with what honey is. It can set off robbing at times if the feeder isnt sitting perfectly on the box below or if the scent is getting into the air somehow. With or without, the bees will suc it down if they want it.

#22 · (Edited)
"If a 1-1 recipe for sugar syrup calls for 1 4lb bag of sugar and 3 qts. of water, wouldn't 2-1 call for 2 bags (4lb bags) of sugar to the same 3 qts. of water?"

The assumption of doubling the sugar for 2-to-1 syrup is correct, but the starting recipe is in error - 4lbs sugar to 3 quarts water is not 1-to-1 syrup. Rather, 1-to-1 syrup is 4 lbs sugar to 4 pints water (i.e., 2 quarts of water). Then, 2-to-1 syrup is 8 lbs sugar to 4 pints water.

I make 1-to-1 syrup by mixing one 25 lb bag of sugar to 3 gallons of water. I pour hot tapwater into the sugar and mix using a paint paddle/drill. The sugar dissolves in just a minute or two. This makes close to 5 gallons of 1-to-1 syrup.

I make 2-to-1 syrup by mixing two 25 lb bags of sugar to 3 gallons of water. I boil the water on the stove and then pour into the sugar. Again, I mix with a paint paddle/drill. The sugar dissolves in about 5 minutes. This makes close to 7 gallons of 2-to-1 syrup.

These volumes are convenient for servicing my dozen-odd hives. The above recipes are not scientifically precise, but are close enough to achieve the intended purpose. Any more precision is a waste of time.

The point of the ratios is not for flavor, or that the bees know mixing ratios, etc. A ratio close to 1-to-1 is good for stimulating wax production, and a ratio close to 2-to-1 minimizes how much water the bees must remove for winter stores. Some beeks successfully use a ratio halfway between 1-to-1 and 2-to-1 for everything.

#26 ·
Per my mentor, per tests he was privy to, the bees will take the sugar water with up to 29 TBSP of vinegar per gallon. He did not recommend that much. I have used approximately 4 TBSP per gallon all year .... To keep it from spoiling ..... Bees consume lots of it with no apparent problems. I am using white vinegar, but I do not think it matters.

#27 ·
These sugar water threads crack me up. I feel that everyone is over thinking it, you don't even need to use cups, ounces, pounds or anything else. Just one part sugar to one part water = 1:1 and two parts sugar to one part water = 2:1. One could use any type of volume for this. For instance I mix mine 2 baseball caps full of sugar to one baseball cap of water and feed it, works great!

On a serious note when I mix 2:1 I use very hot tap water and mix then let it set for a few hours mixing occasionally. If some sugar settles to the bottom that is fine it just means that the water is holding as much sugar as it possibly can. I then pour the syrup into my feeder and place it. It is super thick and the bees love it.:thumbsup:

#28 ·
I finally came upon a mix that doesn't require me to weigh sugar or move it between containers and spill it. I have a 5 gallon aluminum pot. Put 2 gallons of water in it (8 guart measuring cups worth), boil it, turn the heat off, and pour an entire 25# bag of sugar in it. This is the size that bulk sugar is sold around here at restaurant supply houses, and Costco and Kroger has it to. I stir until dissolved (about 3 mins) but it would probably dissolve anyway. Add additives such as vinegar, HBH and Amino-B to the now more or less 4-gallon batch. Stir before bottling in old 1/2 gallon OJ bottles. I pretty much go through 3 bottles every 2-3 days with my 3 hives I'm feeding (nucs moved to hives this year).

Makes 5:3 or close (ok, for those OCD types, it's 5:3.75). 1:1 (or 5:5) is 8.3 pounds/gallon, 2:1 (or 5:2.5) is 16.3 pounds per gallon, and the mix is 1/2 between them. It's pretty worth it to me to not have to measure sugar and get it all over everything in the process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.