How much honey should I leave for my bees for winter?

Default How much honey should I leave for my bees for winter?

I am new to beekeeping and this is my first winter. I am not quite sure how much honey to leave them. I have 2 honey supers (both are full) and 2 brood boxes (they are full also). Should I extract the honey supers and leave the brood boxes or should I leave all the boxes? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How much honey should I leave for my bees for winter?

welcome newbe!

that's very remarkable growth for your two first year colonies. how much to leave has everything to do with where you are located and what strain of bees you have.

if what is on the hives is stored syrup i would say leave it. if it is real honey and beekeepers around you using similar bees tell you that you have surplus then harvest it.

If you are using 2 deep brood boxes I would leave it for bees especially if you fed syrup in the spring. The bees will need a full hive of stores for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    welcome newbe!

that's very remarkable growth for your two first year colonies. how much to leave has everything to do with where you are located and what strain of bees you have.

if what is on the hives is stored syrup i would say leave it. if it is real honey and beekeepers around you using similar bees tell you that you have surplus then harvest it.

I am in the black hills of South Dakota and it gets pretty cold. All the stores are pure honey. A month ago I harvested 2 1/2 gallons of honey and they already filled it up. Also I started my bees a little late. I started my bees in the beginning of July. Thanks for replying and for your help .

wow! that could only happen with good bees and a good location. congrats newbe.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    wow! that could only happen with good bees and a good location. congrats newbe.

I'd leave it all for the bees, better to leave them too much than for them to starve over winter, especially if you live in a cold part of the country. Besides, come spring the bees will eat through the stores quickly and you could probably make a few splits next spring.

That's great for 1st yr to have 2 full supers on each hive and 2 deeps full!

So in two and a half months the bees established their hives, gave you 2.5 gallons of honey, and now have more to give? Did you start with packages, nucs, or full hives?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbe View Post
    I am in the black hills of South Dakota and it gets pretty cold. All the stores are pure honey. A month ago I harvested 2 1/2 gallons of honey and they already filled it up. Also I started my bees a little late. I started my bees in the beginning of July. Thanks for replying and for your help .

Quote Originally Posted by e-spice View Post
    So in two and a half months the bees established their hives, gave you 2.5 gallons of honey, and now have more to give? Did you start with packages, nucs, or full hives?
    I started with split from a local beekeeper. My type of bees are Carniolan. I was told that this was the only way I could start that late in the year. Thanks .