Oxalix Acid with Screened Bottom Board

Default Oxalix Acid with Screened Bottom Board

Yo' Guys, I'm planning to try Oxalic Acid Vapor for mite suppression. Must one block off the SBB for this treatment to be effective? If so, what methods do y'all use?
    Regardz, Dave H.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Oxalix Acid with Screened Bottom Board

Yes, the SBB must be closed.

My SBBs have a slide-in Cloroplast sheet for catching mites and sealing off the bottom. Maybe slide in piece of sheet metal through the front entrance?
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Heat rises, vaporization of the Oxalix Acid should cause it to rise throughout the hive. The plastic slide in sheet should be sufficent I would think. I plan to treat this way this year also.

I slide in a sheet of roof flashing the size of my screen bottom board on top of the screen. Underneath the bottom board screen I use a piece of plastic to get the mite drop. I plug up the back and front of hive with rags to get more vapor into the hive. My slatted rack gives me the right height to slide my varrox on top of flashing into the hive. Let it smoke for 3 minutes. After 12 minutes I pull out the vaporizer and metal flashing. Go to the next hive and do the same thing

Just make sure your sliding tray is in underneath the SBB and you should be fine. Have an old tshirt to block the entrance to keep vapors inside for 3 mins then on to the next hive.