Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What is raw honey?

Tags
raw honey
42K views 246 replies 36 participants last post by  rwurster 
#1 · (Edited)
I read some where in the this forum about the concept "raw honey" without further explnation. What does that concept mean? Does it mean that unheated honey? My mentor in beekeeping Olof from Sweden told me that they heat honey in the USA much higher than what is allowed in Sweden (they do not heat honey in Sweden, they whip it into creamy honey).

#2 ·
My definition of raw honey is unheated honey not subject to filtration to remove pollen and propolis particles in the honey. My honey is strained only. Now I warm honey to slightly over 100 degrees to reliquify crystalized honey but I do not consider that heating.

#11 ·
Now I warm honey to slightly over 100 degrees to reliquify crystalized honey but I do not consider that heating.
How do you warm honey w/out applying heat? Seems like you are parsing words to fit your own definition. Why don't you simply say that you consider honey raw if it has not been heated above a temperature that negatively effects that honey, say 100 degrees.

#3 ·
There is no legal definition of "raw" honey in the United States. Many people would interpret raw honey to mean minimal (if any) heating and the honey is essentially unfiltered, but is likely more strained to remove at least bee parts and chunks of wax.

I make a distinction between filtering and straining because some forms of filtering may be used to remove some or all pollen grains from honey. Strainers are relatively coarse and are not likely to affect any pollen in honey. Also, as bees maintain at least the brood nest area of their hive at 94 degrees Fahrenheit, it is reasonable that even raw honey could be warmed to at least that temperature for bottling, in my opinion.

#4 ·
There is no "legal" definition for "raw honey". In theory it means it has not been heated. In practice I think an honest definition is that it was never any hotter than it would get in the hive, which in a super is probably about 95 F or slightly above. The concerns people have are flavor and enzymes. Heating destroys both. The way the Europeans measure heating is by measuring HMF (Hydroxy Methyl Furfural aka 5-(Hydroxymethyl)furfufural) in the honey. If it is high then the honey was heated too much.

#244 ·
The way the Europeans measure heating is by measuring HMF (Hydroxy Methyl Furfural aka 5-(Hydroxymethyl)furfufural) in the honey. If it is high then the honey was heated too much.
In Europe if the HMF is above 40 units of measure , the honey can not be legally sold to consumers.

#6 ·
What is whipped honey? If it is just mixed to be seeded with the small crystal structure required to end up creamy, It certainly hasn't had anything done to it to make it NOT raw.

What we don't need are guvmint regulations defining all these nuances, something some people seem to demand.

#7 ·
What is whipped honey? If it is just mixed to be seeded with the small crystal structure required to end up creamy, It certainly hasn't had anything done to it to make it NOT raw.
I wouldn't call whipped honey raw honey because following changes that occur while whipping the honey:

1 - mixed with air = oxidation

2 - seeded with small crystals = change of state (liquid to solid)

3 - Creamy = change of texture

#20 ·
The comb is not honey so I have no problem with the definition of raw honey being honey that is extracted and packaged without the beekeeper adding heat. I don't consider a temperature value as a threshold for honey because you can pump a lot of heat in using a bottling tank (or whatever) without the majority of the honey reaching some threshold temperature. If that be the case the most sensible system would be to measure HMF as Michael suggested. The Europeans are always one step ahead of us.

#21 ·
I consider "Raw" Honey to be counter to pasteurized and ultra filtered. As far as honey being pasteurized you wil have to look up how it is done and the temperatures necessary. To many people simply say honey is heated and the enzymes are destroyed. this leads to confusion over what heated means. This is not an accurate description. Honey is heated to a minimum temperature for a minimum period of time. this destroys the enzymes. so it is not heated that is the problem necessarily but the altering of the honey. Once altered I no longer consider it "Raw". For some there is actually a medical differentiation so it is not simply a subjective issue. I know a couple of people that need to eat unpasteurized honey for medical reasons. there body does not correctly produce the enzymes necessary and they get it substituted in part through the honey. They never find the supply reliable though.

#24 ·
It frustrates me that there is no agreed upon definition of raw honey. There seem to be some that go with as it comes from the extractor - http://www.reallyrawhoney.com - me, I "lightly strain" (another undefined term!) and do not heat at all. Could I call my honey raw and get away with it? Probably.

I hate the idea of misleading the public, even though I probably am by using "lightly strained." The term organic is used all the time with meanings that are closer to the intent of CNG then USDA Organic.

#27 ·
The US Honey board defines it as "Raw Honey: Honey as it exists in the beehive or as obtained by extraction, settling or straining without adding heat."

EU does not appear to allow "raw honey" labeling.
It is comb, chunk, drained, extracted, pressed, filtered honey or baker's. No raw that I can find.

"love" it how they defined honey is only from Apis mellifera, and no other. I wonder what they call the A. cerana stuff? Bee barf?

#39 ·
Such definitions are not helpful.

If I have a barrel (or jar) of honey that is at 80F and it cools down to 60F in the evening, there is no way the honey can go above 60F without adding get heat somehow....in your warming get room, your car, the sun, your pocket, in your cabinet with a light underneath.....heat is being added....the honey is being heated.

#28 ·
The reason there is no definition of Raw honey is that Raw honey does not exist. It is a term born form the consumers awareness of how honey is adulterated in the market place and there concern to avoid the "Fakes". I mention something to this effect to my customers and then tell them my honey is unaltered. It is extracted strained and bottled just as it was made by the bees. I have not added corn syrup to it I have not pasteurized it and I have not collected it from the far corners of the earth and blended it.

I find that most have no idea what sort of things could be wrong with honey but they know there are often things wrong. I have a few that are very concerned about getting pure honey. I simply tell them they can trust me or I can provide honey in the comb. I have actually had a couple of takers on the comb offering.

#31 ·
The reason there is no definition of Raw honey is that Raw honey does not exist. It is a term born form the consumers awareness of how honey is adulterated in the market place and there concern to avoid the "Fakes". I mention something to this effect to my customers and then tell them my honey is unaltered. It is extracted strained and bottled just as it was made by the bees. I have not added corn syrup to it I have not pasteurized it and I have not collected it from the far corners of the earth and blended it.
Exactly! Be honest with your customers about your process if they ask and let them decide. If you warm your honey, explain what temperature and why. If you filter/strain it explain how. A lot of my customers want crystal clear liquid honey that is "raw" without realizing that this is impossible to keep year round without apply heat. Other's want a crystallized product that has been coursely strained with bits of wax, etc that has floated to the top.

"Raw honey" is part of the public's push back against impersonal and unscrupulous commercial agriculture practices in general. It could easily be grouped in with "organic" and anti-GMO sentiment. People want to be more connected to their food.

#29 ·
A consumer misunderstanding on how honey is produced and what the term "raw" means? Perhaps? Does anyone sell cooked honey? Or does everyone who heats their honey sell cooked honey. "Oh, that honey is cooked. You don't want that, you want this raw honey."

#35 ·
> What is there in honey that can be effected in a pasteurization way?

Even the National Honey Board recognizes that pasteurization physically changes honey.

Pasteurization also affects yeast cells which considerably reduces the possibility of fermentation.

http://www.honey.com/images/downloads/shelflife.pdf
The only reasonable interpretation of "affects" in that quote is that the yeast cells are killed. If you value the role of active yeast cells in "natural" honey, then pasteurization results in a lower value product.

#54 ·
> What is there in honey that can be effected in a pasteurization way?

Even the National Honey Board recognizes that pasteurization physically changes honey.

The only reasonable interpretation of "affects" in that quote is that the yeast cells are killed. If you value the role of active yeast cells in "natural" honey, then pasteurization results in a lower value product.
Okay, thanks, I see what is meant by pasteurization of honey. The killing of yeast cells.

#36 ·
I guess than according to the US National Honey Board pressure filtering is also makes it non-raw as it removes something from honey that occurs naturally in it.

From the following paragraph in your referenced document, my emphasis:
Filtering under pressure enhances the clear brilliant color of honey and removes some potential crystallization nuclei such as undissolved glucose crystals, air bubbles, pollen grains or any other large particles.

#43 ·
Can't help you out there, Dean. Convince the wordsmiths to change the definition of raw. In its natural state, honey is stored in wax, not glass or plastic. One must employ a process to get the honey out of the comb and into a container.

#44 ·
Pasteurization has a very specific temp and definition...heating to 160F is not pastureizing.

I've never run across honey that had actually been pasturized, but learned that some medical conditions require no viable yeast or mold organosms/spores...which is one reason why hospitals and meals on wheels type kitchens rarely use honey...they must buy pasturized honey.

I doubt any beekeeper or packer on beesource actually pasturized their honey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.