Removing a baby skunk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Removing a baby skunk

Except for the way my wife did it is there a way of removing a skunk from a chicken coop with out getting peppered three times?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Removing a baby skunk

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Except for the way my wife did it is there a way of removing a skunk from a chicken coop with out getting peppered three times?
    oh definitely, my wife would have sent me in.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

She did and then I asked how do you expect me to get him out? Oh, she said he is just a baby so she stepped in and used her psychology talking nice to the little baby with a little prodding. Then she got it in the face. There was a box in the way so I was able to remove the box that it was hiding behind without getting hit. So together we both go in with rakes and brooms in hand setting up a small barrier to the coop door and try to coax the thing out. It is right by the opening and it decides to crawl under the sheet barrier. So my wife grabs it and gets nailed again but manages to get it out the coop door. This means it is now in a covered chicken run and it is trying to get under the page fence to get under the coop. Right about now my wife is TO and PO and grabs the tail, yanks it out from under the fence which it didn't come easy and gives it a 20 ft fling in the air. That was the final spray and now my wife knows that a baby skunk can spray multiple times. My wife told the skunk when it looked back for a second after hitting the ground that "if you come back you will get the wood chuck swimming lesson". Now the house smells like a skunk because she didn't want to take her cloths off outside. It is funny watching people opening the lid of the dumpster that they shouldn't be using.
    Brian Cardinal

Whisper 40 gr. of lead in it's ear.

My neighbor baits a havahart trap. When the skunk goes in and gets trapped, he throws a large towel over the trap, then drops the trap in a garbage can filled with water.

We have already done this once. It worked well when the skunk was on the outside of the coop but this time it wouldn't come out and we weren't sure if the chickens would go in or the skunk would eat all the eggs. (I don't think it could eat them all).

Whisper 40 gr. of lead in it's ear.
    Discharging a firearm within the city limits and a whole bunch of witnesses could create more of a problem then the skunk. My wife got a visit from the police just burying dog poop in the back yard once. I do have a co2 air pistol but I have a feeling this would not be effective. I might try it outside the coop but not inside the coop.
    Brian Cardinal

I do have a co2 air pistol but I have a feeling this would not be effective. I might try it outside the coop but not inside the coop.
    If your neighbors are that close, then I suggest a 27 gr. (short) whisper. That probably wouldn't make much more noise than your co2 popping.

My granddad taught us to approach it from the head, toss an opaque tarp over it to cover it, and let it hide for a minute or two.
    Then, if you want it to remain alive, you grab it while wrapping the tarp around it tightly; folding the ends to form a package. After you find a place to release it, you tie a rope on one corner of the tarp, lay it on the ground, stand back and pull the rope; releasing the folded tarp and setting the critter free.
    If you want to exterminate it, lay boards or rocks on the tarp edge, slip a hose under the tarp and attach the other en to the exhaust on a vehicle; wait about 15 minutes, and then discard the dispatched skunk.
    No one famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    If your neighbors are that close, then I suggest a 27 gr. (short) whisper.
    I am not a gun enthusiast so I don't know if you can buy this or you have to make it yourself. I also don't know what caliber we are speaking as to what type of gun it is. I told my wife that a 22 has to be registered in NY and she thinks it doesn't. We won't mention if one is in our possession.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Whisperer View Post
    My granddad taught us to approach it from the head, toss an opaque tarp over it to cover it, and let it hide for a minute or two.
    Because of the obstacles that were in the coop this was not possible but I will remember this technique.
    Brian Cardinal

A good sharp rap to the head with a stout stick would work on a baby.

You could call the pest removal folks:

http://www.wildlife-removal.com/city/NY-Utica.htm
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

I am not a gun enthusiast so I don't know if you can buy this or you have to make it yourself. I also don't know what caliber we are speaking as to what type of gun it is. I told my wife that a 22 has to be registered in NY and she thinks it doesn't. We won't mention if one is in our possession.
    I am speaking of a .22 cal rifle or handgun either of which will shoot a 27 gr. .22 short. I forgot that you are behind the iron curtain in the state of NY....my condolences. I guess I need to be more aware of where the questions are coming from.

no problem buying a rifle or shot gun in N.Y. pistols are another matter completely. but if you have never used one, I'm not sure inside a coup with your wife running around is a good idea.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Discharging a firearm within the city limits and a whole bunch of witnesses could create more of a problem then the skunk. My wife got a visit from the police just burying dog poop in the back yard once. I do have a co2 air pistol but I have a feeling this would not be effective. I might try it outside the coop but not inside the coop.
    If you can't pop a cap in a pest, you need to move. Fold a tarp over a baited havahart trap, it'll look like a nice safe den. When trapped, just pick it up and release somewhere, or give swimming lessons. Your choice.

don't you own a dog? once you teach it not to kill the chickens it works pretty well. just don't have a pet door so you can decide when it gets to come back in the house.

I am speaking of a .22 cal rifle or handgun either of which will shoot a 27 gr. .22 short. I forgot that you are behind the iron curtain in the state of NY....my condolences. I guess I need to be more aware of where the questions are coming from.
    So it's okay to discharge a firearm in KC,KS?
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    So it's okay to discharge a firearm in KC,KS?

It must be....the police do it all the time. But then, I don't live in any metro area.

All I'm saying is that a .22 short will make less noise than hammering a nail. And if you have chickens, coops & skunks, you're not living downtown, so tell the neighbor to mind his own business.

It must be....the police do it all the time.
    Yeah, that's relevant to the question asked.
    Mark Berninghausen

you're not living downtown, so tell the neighbor to mind his own business.
    I am living downtown and I don't have any neighbors but we do have 10,000 cars pass by every day and 200-300 customers in and out the storage facility every day all day long and through the night. It is illegal to store guns and ammo in a storage bin so if you walk down the isles with a long gun in your hand you will get noticed. Have you ever witnessed an ATF sting. It is quite the show.

Justin the dog did alert us that there was something in the coop. I gave her thanks and she was happy for that. The dogs (pl) don't miss much.
    Brian Cardinal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast