Freak Corn

Thread: Freak Corn

Default Freak Corn

The company I work for did property inspections last Thursday and Friday. I couldn't help noticing the freak stalks of corn. Is this the result of GMO or is this normal and I have never noticed it? corn grew well this year. If you look at a 100 acre field most of the corn is 8 ft tall and then say in every 1/2 acre there might be 3 or four stalks that are as much as 12 ft tall, most are only 10. Could these be odballs that grow from last seasons corn? I wouldn't think so because if you look at the bean fields the odball stalks that grew from last years corn is only about 4 ft tall.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Freak Corn

could they be the refuge plants that are being planted to maintain nongmo insects and diseases?

Quote Originally Posted by quietman View Post
    could they be the refuge plants that are being planted to maintain nongmo insects and diseases?
    Refuge plants? Where have you seen corn 12 ft tall? I never have until now.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Refuge plants? Where have you seen corn 12 ft tall? I never have until now.
    thats what corn used to look like before they started modifying their DNA.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    If you look at a 100 acre field most of the corn is 8 ft tall and then say in every 1/2 acre there might be 3 or four stalks that are as much as 12 ft tall, most are only 10. Could these be odballs that grow from last seasons corn? I wouldn't think so because if you look at the bean fields the odball stalks that grew from last years corn is only about 4 ft tall.
    No, last years corn (or volunteer corn) is shorter and not very impressive looking at all. I have seen what you are referring to on occasion. I assume it to be some sort of irregularity in the hybridization process. I have never taken the time to seek one out but my guess is that most of the energy has gone into growth instead of grain. In addition to high production, corn is selected for other things like standibility, ease of harvest, and drought tolerance (extended pollination times) just to name a few. Overly tall corn might only be good for those who are planning on chopping the crop and are looking for more overall tonage. It isn't usually compatible with any of the qualities most corn producers are looking for.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

It probably doesn't weigh more than the corn next to it because it is stalky with the leaves far apart. I didn't go into the field to see if it had any ears. Overall most of the corn I have seen was shorter but I lived in the Lake George area instead of the Mohawk Valley region. That might make a difference but I have never seen a corn field like is around us now. I have never noticed this freak corn before.
    Brian Cardinal

I just got back from another excursion. This was down route 8 to Cooperstown where as before it was down 12 to Norwich. Totally different corn. Not one sticking up in 200 acres it was like a golden carpet. These were definitely two different types of corns. The one down 8 most definitely was GMO (Pioneer). The dairy farm is the biggest I have seen in NY. It stretches for miles.
    Brian Cardinal