I've got 1600 lbs of honey, now what? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: I've got 1600 lbs of honey, now what?

Be patient if you want to bottle it and sell it you can build up a customer base. I give a small bottle to people now and then and tell them the first bottle is free. Many come back and buy a qt. or two. When people start sneezing in the spring everybody else could be sold out and people want local honey. It's an easy sell then. As has already been said people are impressed by the packaging also. So get nice jars and labels. I'm just a hobbyist and have sold over 1200 # since the end of June and I'm about out so I would like to have your 1600# for spring. Last year I sold quit a bit at Christmas to people who gave it as gifts. But I won't have that this year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

we've had some luck selling to local CSA's who put it in their summer/fall deliveries, or offer it as an option to their members. most stores here carry several peoples honey, and there are three beekeepers at my farmers market. we all do alright.

I had 500 pounds to sell this year and my wife took a picture and put it on her facebook page. It's been moving steadily since.

2014 Homestead Honey Offering.jpg
    11 yrs. 25 Hives T Zone 7a

I read a few people saying things like, you should have got your customer base before hand. Seriously, I doubt anybody that starts keeping has done that. I just started beeking this year and split them and am not going to steal from them this year. I might not steal from them next year either. I am trying to build them up so I have a great harvest first time and make it worth it. Then I will build the customer base. Why get the customer base first and then if you disappoint, you are finished. Make a good product and when you get that right, then let the customers flock.

Our farmers market is full also, but I just talked to one of the vegetable venders and he said I could put honey on one of his tables cause people asking for honey all the time. I offered him a dollar a bottle and he said he did not need the money. So you might just ask around instead of paying the price for a spot at the market anyway. Also he offered his land for a few of my hives, he has pumpkin, cotton, okra, cantelope, alfalfa, watermelon so may do you some real good at the farmers market.. just my 2 cents
    Nate Henderson
    "I hate being stung out of ignorance, but it sure happens a lot"

I dont understand why anyone would sell at a farmer's market when you can just set up a road-side stand. I put up signs, a canopy, and set the jars on a table. It's a good way to spend a nice September day.

Craigslist work wonders too.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    I dont understand why anyone would sell at a farmer's market when you can just set up a road-side stand. I put up signs, a canopy, and set the jars on a table. It's a good way to spend a nice September day.

Craigslist work wonders too.
    I guess works fine if you are retired or just old. But if you have a business to run or kids to chase, sitting on the side of road just not a priority.
    Nate Henderson
    "I hate being stung out of ignorance, but it sure happens a lot"

Many road side stands are unmanned. Just a lockbox to put cash in. You have a product that doesn't spoil too quickly so what is your panic?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Bee Daddy View Post
    I had 500 pounds to sell this year and my wife took a picture and put it on her facebook page. It's been moving steadily since.

2014 Homestead Honey Offering.jpg
    That's what I did, and it was all gone within 36 hours, with people begging for more. Too bad mine is all gone...otherwise I'd put up another photo around the holidays and market it as easy and unique Christmas gifts.
    made it to the second year with three hives, zone 6b

Quote Originally Posted by nater37 View Post
    I guess works fine if you are retired or just old. But if you have a business to run or kids to chase, sitting on the side of road just not a priority.
    Yeah but either way you do it, if you have 1600 pounds of honey is going to take some time away from your family.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    Yeah but either way you do it, if you have 1600 pounds of honey is going to take some time away from your family.
    I thought that's why people started beekeeping :-)
    Iím really not that serious

Subscribe to Bee Culture. It has average retail and wholesale prices for various regions every month. That will give you a price guide.
    After that, the name of the game is "HUSTLE"

Thumbs Up Re: I've got 1600 lbs of honey, now what?

Quote Originally Posted by keqwow View Post
    I've got 1600 lbs of honey so far this year, and I go to the "Marketing" section of this forum and there are only 10 threads in the entire forum.
    keqwow, go to your 'Settings', then 'General Settings', then, 'Default Thread Age Cut Off'. When you get there, adjust the cutoff date (make it longer) for the threads displayed in your browser. HTH
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Find a kid that needs a little direction, a little cash and set him/her up in business. I'm sure there are things you could teach, wisdom to share it might be a great opportunity for a kid in your area. You buy the supplies bottles, labels maybe a tent etc. They bottle and sell keeping $1.00 per bottle. Once the right kid sees a couple $75.00 afternoons you won't be able to make enough honey.

* The math doesn't work if you have to support the kid in every other way (he's your son). Trust me on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    You buy the supplies bottles, labels maybe a tent etc. They bottle and sell keeping $1.00 per bottle. Once the right kid sees a couple $75.00 afternoons you won't be able to make enough honey.
    You might also be in serious trouble if the kid is not your own.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

The quick and easy thing to do would be to sell it to meaderys or distillers who make honey liqueor. They'll buy it by the barrel. We have several of those around here that used to only use local honey but now have to buy from out-of-state because the demand is so high for their product. It also makes it harder to buy local honey around here.
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards

UHHH, do you really not know what to do with 1,600 lbs of honey
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

A couple of things that I have done. A Magnetic sign that I put on the back of my work van. [ have lost two in two years] :-( I Keep a little bit of honey in my vehicles. So when I get ask it is sold. I do a festival that they pay me show up. And talk about beekeeping. This is in a farming area of the festival. This year I brought a observation hive. Last year a died out that was in a tree. I feel a phone # is important! Craig list face book. Talk to people. I am just a sideliner but selling at lease 3000 lb year
    David

I sell my honey @ 8.95 8oz glass jars ....10 to 17.95 1 lb glass jars ...... 15.95 to 21.95 for 2 lb glass jars and so on. Price is depending on what kind of honey and how much of that kind I have.
    I also carry 3 lb, 4 lb, 5 lb glass jars and 1 gallon, 2 gallon and 5 gallon pails.

Also have comb honey. 16.95 Last year it was selling at 48 dollars a pound online so I took mine to 24.95... this year It will be 14.95 to 16.95.
    Last edited by Eaglerock; 11-01-2014 at 02:05 PM.
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Bottle that stuff and get to work. Once your name and reputation are out there, word spreads like wildfire. I would die to have 1200 lbs. of honey. My 2 hives made 76 lbs. this season and I was sold out within 15 days. No advertisement at all. $8/lb. All of my friends and family knew I was getting into beekeeping and after months of bugging me for honey, I finally had a harvest. Most people bought one bottle and came running back for 3-6 more. I will admit, I was mostly lucky with the weather this year here in KS. We had tons of wildflower blooms and super sweet honey. I'm telling you, once you do a bit of networking, your sales will surely take off. Take the time to do some good labeling with a high quality logo, very clean bottles, and a good attitude and you will go far. In case you're wondering... yes, I am expanding my operation next year. lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast