Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Using honey for Brine?

28K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Andy_K 
#1 ·
#6 ·
We have been killing the salmon this year! Just smoked some up yesterday and ate some before writing this.
I think my recipe for brine was 1.5C salt and 1/2C brown sugar to a gallon of water, So Andy do you think ½ C honey?

#9 ·
d

Ditto on the post smoke brushing with honey, that sweetness on your top pallet combined with salt on the tongue is pure heaven when you take a bite. I smoke a few hundred pounds of salmon a year. I skip the water and have moved to a dry brine mix - 1 cup of non iodized salt, 1 cup of white sugar, 1 cup of brown sugar and a few spices.

#8 ·
Hi minz,
I do a half cup honey in the brine in addition to the other stuff.
Long soak in glass casarole containers (not sure if that's the correct name for those but I always stay away from any metal container).
After the soak I drip dry on racks and use a fan the help glaze the meat until it's dry to the touch, meaning no sticky stuff (or at least minimal) on your hands while handling.
I built my brine recipe by looking at a bunch of recipes on the fishing forums that I visit,then tweaked it to my liking.
We just use our fruit trees for wood but I had to use almond once and like that as well. I think my favorite is apricot.
I also like lots of apple juice,honey and liquified brown sugar in my hand squirter.
I can't help myself to not squirt the meat almost every time during inspections.
I can't rely on the thermometer so I also use a lazer temp gun ($32 at Home Depot or harbors freight tools)
I like just chill,hang out and go slow so for me it's an all day cook.
My preference is to have the salmon just a notch dryer than slightly tacky with no salty taste.

#11 ·
I totally agree with the the sweetness and salty taste nailing the top of your pallet.
It's just a good thing.
I fish and hunt underwater.
I made a sauce that we use on rock scallops that rocks.
Sweet,salty and slightly spicy.
Sauté to your taste.
Shallots
Red onions
Green onions (add at the end)
1 teaspoon of finely minced habanero
Couple (2-3)table spoons of brown sugar
A few large squirts or table spoons of honey
About a half dozen pieces of them red hot cinnamon candy things
Keep warm then add as wanted to some quickly flash fried large rock scallops
Only flash fry your scallops 20-30 seconds per side.
Cast iron pan works best.
You can't undercook your scallops but over cooking them is way to easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.