running single brood chambers for winter - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: running single brood chambers for winter

Ben, send an email to Daniel Ficza of Honey Dew Apiaries in PEI. He lived in Hantsport before moving to the Island a few years ago, and he runs singles over winter in PEI. I saw pics of some of his stuff at our AGM a few years ago. He took pictures just at the beginning of March to take to the AGM and his singles were jammed. He's a really decent guy to talk to.
    http://thelocaltravelerns.com/2013/0...anoe-cove-pei/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, I was talking to him at the Maritime Bee Tour in NB last weekend and Boyd , I think there is a way to do singles outside, I just want all the information I can get.
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

I'm running doubles and singles in quebec (Lat. 45) with similar winter losses (average 15%). Simply the single, if the colony is big, get short on food around mid march. Anyway, I always start candys and subs around the end of the first week of march. This not always necessary, but it calm me down. I prefer doubles because it's more secure. Surprisingly, the colonies in double and singles are not very different in spring, simply, I invert the doubles at a time and add a box to the single generally same time.
    I will also say that singles are more easy at the time to clean the bottom board or remove the dead-outs.

i think im going to try a few hives in Skaneateles NY this coming season in singles and see how they do.
    I have noticed in the last couple years that the survival on my large hives is very good (100% this year albeit we are only talking about 15 hives) but the overwintering nucs 4/4 didnt winter as well.
    I guess i could always split the difference and leave the single brood chamber hives with a medium super of honey on top of them to make sure they have enough feed for the winters.
    I wrap with tar paper and foam insulation and have all my hives pushed together for winter and it seems to work quite well when the bloody wind isnt pushing hives off their stands!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12