Shafted on Shipping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shafted on Shipping

Why does ever Bee Supply stick it to you on shipping?
    I know some companys offer free shipping once you spend so much...I might add the shipping is not really free since they jack there prices up on everthing else.

But For Heavens sake if you only need one item, say a small jar of honey b healthy or some fumigilin. They stick you with 20.00 bucks for shipping a small package!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Shafted on Shipping

Is it that you were shafted by the bee supply store or was everyone shafted by the shipping company?

I would think that the cost for the shipping that you pay is the price that the shipping company charges... Am I wrong?
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by 22DPac View Post

I would think that the cost for the shipping that you pay is the price that the shipping company charges... Am I wrong?
    Rarely. Most mail order suppliers build some income into their shipping charges. Some, little to none, others a hefty profit.

We had a similar thread about a week ago. The answer: Shop around.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...uot-ripped-off

Wayne

I understand you it could have been sent USPS priority for under $5. Don't think the other $15 is an exceptable service charge.
    Dan

It usually works like this..... offer the lowest prices around, then shipping is $15-$20 or grows with each additional item pretty much offsetting any savings and thus providing the bulk of the income on the sale.

Think about what you will need for the next few months, [ it is not hard to come up with a $100.00 order]. and make your own HBH or go pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by labradorfarms View Post
    Why does ever Bee Supply stick it to you on shipping?
    But For Heavens sake if you only need one item, say a small jar of honey b healthy or some fumigilin. They stick you with 20.00 bucks for shipping a small package!!!
    When I've needed something small and the frt was outrageous, I CALLED them, they were more than willing to put what I wanted (at that time) in a small envelope and just mail it for a fraction of what the frt quote.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    I understand you it could have been sent USPS priority for under $5. Don't think the other $15 is an exceptable service charge.
    Exceptable? How can you except it? It isn't a charge which can be excepted. What would it cost you to go get it?
    Mark Berninghausen

I'm fortunate to live about an hour away from a Dadant store, so I rarely have to worry about this. But on occasions where I knew I was going to need something before I would have a chance to get down there, I've ordered from Amazon before. You can't find everything there, but you can find a lot. Keep that in your back pocket when you need something, and maybe check there first.

Shipping and HANDLING charge...it is the handling that is the killer. Must be some pretty valuable hands.
    20 hives, 10 years, T and TF, All local stock

I charge C$20.00/hr for Handling. Don't you?
    Mark Berninghausen

Didn't we just go down this road with another thread about a bee brush a week or so ago?? Does this really need to be hashed out again. Ugggg.

A not so long explanation

They have us by the short hairs....at 30 mpg we can go about 170 miles round trip for $20.

I'll pay the 20 not to deal with traffic

Steve

Every viable business needs to make profits to remain viable over the long term.

Some may be better than others in managing their cash flow. We as consumers usually have choice and we have no one to blame but ourselves if we drive good businesses out of the market by our choices. Cheapest is not always best nor is it always viable. Customer service, product quality and product availability all come with a price tag.

Just my 2 cents...different strokes for different folks
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I agree, but I would just rather that they are up front about the costs rather than padding it with add on, handling, processing, fees etc. When I sell a jar of honey I don't tell them it is $5 and then when they get ready to pay say, well that will be another $1 for the jar, and 50 cents for me driving it over and another quarter for me to hand it to you, and another dime if you want a bag........
    20 hives, 10 years, T and TF, All local stock

As noted in the thread I linked to: Betterbee.com

Wayne

> well that will be another $1 for the jar, and 50 cents for me driving it over and another quarter for me to hand it to you, and another dime if you want a bag........

Not every customer needs every service that a merchant might offer. When the merchant breaks out extra service from the base price of the product, then the product can be priced lower for those that don't need the extra service. I much prefer NOT to pay for something I don't need.

For instance, Aldi (grocery store) does charge separately for bags (if the customer doesn't bring their own bags). There must be a lot of people that like this concept as Aldi is quite successful and expanding in the US.

FYI, Aldi also requires a $0.25 (a quarter coin) deposit if you want to use a shopping cart. You get the quarter returned when you bring the cart back to the dispensing machine.

IMHO this is a somewhat similar to Amazon's shipping/delivery policy, where you can pay various different prices for various different delivery times. I ALWAYS use the free delivery, but that is the slowest option, takes patience and requires planning ahead.

Anytime one is comparing prices across different merchants, it pays to take the time to calculate and compare the delivered price before placing an order.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I am blessed to live close to a bee supply company and buy most of my supplies from them. There are a few items/reasons I shop other compaines. The charges with most are more than I would like. But, the big difference is the service. While I don't need tracking it is nice if I am being charged so much. It is also nice to get e mails when orders are shipped.

I recently bought some seeds from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine. I made this purchase online Saturday afternoon. I got an e mail when the order was shipped and when it would arrive. The order arrived yesterday. My order was $17.50 and the regular shipping was $6.75. Great service at a good price.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Steve zone 5 WI View Post
    A not so long explanation

They have us by the short hairs....at 30 mpg we can go about 170 miles round trip for $20.

I'll pay the 20 not to deal with traffic

Steve
    Pray tell me what vehicle you are able to expense only $20 for 170 miles? At 12 cents a mile for gas, tires, and insurance with a few oil changes thrown in every 100k miles your are sitting pretty darn sweet.. Not sure even a Prius on steroids powered by the sun could achieve the goals you have achieved. Interested in a little consulting business on the side. We could save the world billions with your accounting! If we pocket 1% we could buy our own shipping company!!!

This brings up a question that I have had about bee supply stores. Who are their target customers? I mean out of necessity don't most commercial beeks build all of their own equipment? Is it mainly the hobbyists that keeps them afloat?
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast