Stupid question: how many beekeepers are scared of bees? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Stupid question: how many beekeepers are scared of bees?

Not scared of them, but have been stung in the face before its not very fun when they do that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Kayaked class 5 white water, surfed 12 foot pipeline , ran off a 10000 foot peak with a hang glider , 32 and 10 boxing record and have to breath deep and focus to deal with the bees! My wife said you've been stung what's the big deal ? I said it's the buzz ! Trying ear plugs soon! Lol

I've had 11 stings and 3 of them to my head. Nothing worse than hearing a bee buzzing in my hair knowing I'll most likely be stung! I'm sure if my neighbors see me I would look like a crazy woman batting at my head trying to smash the bee running for the house! Decided to smarten up and put my hair in a pony tail and put on a baseball cap! Has kept them out of my hair but then I got stung in the face. After that sting, sting #11 my husband asked me if I was going to quit beekeeping. I said NO, I just need to get smarter! lol. My bees are somewhat aggressive right now so if I go near the hive I now put on or carry one of my grandkids bee hats. Easy on, Easy off! I have to remind myself they are wild bees NOT my pets! Love them, but a little leary too.
    Last edited by suzyq; 08-15-2014 at 12:30 AM.

suzyq, there is this thing that has been around for centuries which keeps bees from stinging beekeepers on the face and head. It's called a veil. Get one.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    suzyq, there is this thing that has been around for centuries which keeps bees from stinging beekeepers on the face and head. It's called a veil. Get one.
    G..................

suzyq, there are veils for 5 year old grandsons too. Get him one so he will enjoy beekeeping longer.
    Mark Berninghausen

> I just need to get smarter!

Yes. Get a veil...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I'm not totally clueless I have a veil and fully suit up when I go into the hive. My grandson also has a full bee suit when he's here with me into the hive and a bee hat as well. I would not put him in harms way. I was 30 feet away from the hive in my back yard when I got stung in the head. Am I suppose to walk around my own yard constantly wearing a veil? Not going to happen. I do carry my grandsons veil if I am going to look at the hive about 4 feet away so I can quick throw it on if I feel threatened. Didn't have to do that before. Bee stings have slowed down to a trickle. I have learned some

I am only scared of the back end of the bees, especially from the bees that are mad at me. I agree that they do try to get even with you as you are innocently strolling in the yard. Actually, I am quite brave in my suit of white armor.

I just spent an hour or two in close company with a nuc in a small observation hive. They'd been closed up in that trap since Wednesday at the county fair. The fair closed today and I brought them home for a break. I was sitting on a bench a few feet from them, wearing shorts and a short-sleeved shirt, watching them stagger out all crosslegged and miserable, and try to get airborne for cleansing flights.

This was kind of a bootleg operation in our city place where we don't keep bees, and I didn't want to draw attention by having my bee suit on.

I had some in my hair, some landing on me. Mostly I was part of the orientation scenery. I was most nervous when reaching in with a sports bottle of syrup to replenish a couple of trays I'd put out for them. That earned a few bumps. I won't say I was not nervous from time to time, but I was not stung and managed not to swat at them.

i'm always amazed at my own emotional roller coaster. i love sticking my (veiled) face into those hives. but still get the panicked heebie jeebies when they start taking particular notice.

i've met some reluctant-spouse type beekeepers who supported the cause, but didn't care for the bees.
    matthew p greer
    architect beekeeper

Quote Originally Posted by mpgreer View Post
    i'm always amazed at my own emotional roller coaster. i love sticking my (veiled) face into those hives. but still get the panicked heebie jeebies when they start taking particular notice.
    I can relate to this one. I can't wait (but do) to check out a hive the next time and have no fear when everything's well and they ignore me, but when they start buzzing my face bumping the veil I have to force myself to not to start getting panicky sometimes.

I am only humbled. Got a queen off this group that had wild bred with african drones.
    When I went into the hive to find the queen and requeen, I got covered an inch deep over every square inch of my suit, veil, gloves, and boots. I could not see out of my veil.
    Slowly, and deliberately I brushed & shook every frame onto a sheet on the ground, leading to the entrance. Put the hive back together with a queen excluder on the entrance, and walked away. Found the queen later on the screen inner cover.

I have done many things in my life on the edge, but that was right up there with cave diving.
    I will never be the same, but have no fear of girls, only respect and admiration.

I've started wearing just a cheapie jacket/veil combo (and shorts!) when feeding syrup, as I only open the hive for 60 seconds or so.

But if I'm going to do any real work I wear my full suit with gaiters and boots. And belt and suspenders and velcro.
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

suzyq
    I've had 11 stings and 3 of them to my head. Nothing worse than hearing a bee buzzing in my hair knowing I'll most likely be stung!

you think that sounds bad ,, try a bee setting on your hearing aid ,, and buzzing ,, I have the aid that is inside the ear .. you think they are loud in your hair ,,

As stated earlier I am very respectful of them.
    Late yesterday afternoon, I had popped one of the hives open to do some things. I had only lightly smoked them and had been in there a few minutes when I actually looked down at the frames sitting in the box and on both sides of every frame, lined up from one end to another, all the lil bee heads were poking up and just looking at me. that was a lil wierd and I just had to tell them out loud that I would be out of their hair in just one more minute and please be patient!! LOL (never thought I would actually be talking to my bees!)
    3 hives/2 nucs

Last year, my first summer with bees, I was a bit intimidated by them. All day long I boss around 1500lb cows and horses, but the bees...well, they do what they want! lol
    This year I feel so much more confident. I know what I am doing when I go in to inspect a hive, or to catch a swarm, or pull off honey. Being one of those "special" people who enjoy large local reactions to bee stings, I make efforts to not get stung. Full suit whenever I am opening up the hives. I really have good girls though, very nonaggressive, so I don't wear anything special when I am just passing by or taking a look at the entrances.

I was just watching a TV commercial for a new Rx drug. "may cause pain, swelling, itching, difficulty breathing, nervousness, sweating, and anxiousness."

"Huh", I said to my wife. "Sounds like beekeeping."

Like Santa Caras, I never thought I would ever hear myself talking to bees, but I am guilty of it. But I rode horses a hundred years and talked to them. I even find myself talking to my cat. I guess it is not such a strange phenomena.

to me they are my pets ,, and I will allways think of them that way ,,, any one that knows me will ask how the girls are ,,, if some one hears us talking about bees and says anything ,, they will tell them """ his pets """

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast