YES!!!!

Thread: YES!!!!

Default YES!!!!

I've bee a beek 5 whole months now. I needed to check for eggs, larva & or capped brood today in my first ever split. Yes to larva & capped brood, but my vision just does not enable me to see eggs through the netting. Oh well!

While I was suited up I decided to check the progress on a weak colony that's been struggling, or so it appears. It looks to be gaining ground and looking better. I spotted the queen there....first time I've ever been able to identify a queen within a colony also. YES!! She seemed, to me at least, to be a real beauty......large, lite colored and doing her job. I'm confident that I might actually have some bee yet next spring.

.....like James Brown sang, "I feel good.....!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: YES!!!!

Congratulations on finding the queen! I still get excited every time I find one! It's almost like a where's Waldo, but Waldo keeps moving! I love when Michael Palmer describes them as turning on their cloaking device. LOL
    Donny

way to go tim.

for me to see eggs i have to use my bifocals and the sun has to be shining. i've recently added a small maglite with a focusable beam to my tool bin. big help.

Awsome!

Being 58 years old and having the eyesight of a 58 yr old I often have trouble seeing eggs.
    What works for me is a small LED flashlight. I've tried the mag light but it didn't work as well.
    The LED causes the eggs to give off a luminous glow. Like a blacklight does to white clothes.

The LED lights only seem to work good when the battery is good. When they start to get weak the eggs stop glowing.

I carry one in my jacket and can always find eggs if they're there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    I've bee a beek 5 whole months now. I needed to check for eggs, larva & or capped brood today in my first ever split. Yes to larva & capped brood, but my vision just does not enable me to see eggs through the netting. Oh well!

While I was suited up I decided to check the progress on a weak colony that's been struggling, or so it appears. It looks to be gaining ground and looking better. I spotted the queen there....first time I've ever been able to identify a queen within a colony also. YES!! She seemed, to me at least, to be a real beauty......large, lite colored and doing her job. I'm confident that I might actually have some bee yet next spring.

.....like James Brown sang, "I feel good.....!"
    COOL! I am in my third year of bee-keeping. The first 2 years I never could spot an egg. This year with the light right (mid-morning on a clear day) I have been able to see eggs (oh and also young uncapped brood which I had trouble seeing before). I think it will come for you in time.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    Being 58 years old and having the eyesight of a 58 yr old I often have trouble seeing eggs.
    What works for me is a small LED flashlight. I've tried the mag light but it didn't work as well.
    The LED causes the eggs to give off a luminous glow. Like a blacklight does to white clothes.

The LED lights only seem to work good when the battery is good. When they start to get weak the eggs stop glowing.

I carry one in my jacket and can always find eggs if they're there.
    I'll give the LED a try, Wolfer, but my eye's are 8 or 9 years older than yours though.
    Last edited by Tim KS; 08-09-2014 at 06:27 AM.

Congrats!
    Magnivisor Deluxe with LED light built in. Have a search and see if this might also work. I picked one up last year and have been very pleased with the results.