varroa lifespan - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: varroa lifespan

Default Re: varroa lifespan

Did not realise that Slow Drone but nice one! You are a dark horse or should I say bee I hope to achieve that someday too... Not sure I have any suggestions to experiment with, I am more of a 'if it isn't broken , don't fix it' type and it sounds like you are doing just fine!

Is there any info on what the mites are doing in this extended lifespan during winter? in a dormancy or living as normal just not reproducing?
    season 2 - 6 hives and counting!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Robbin View Post
    Seeing as we are on the subject of mites falling off bees, what makes them fall off when they are treated with OAV?
    It is thought that the OA destroys the cuticle and mites feet literally fall off.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

The mites are in a phoretic stage in the winter. Best way to put it is to say they migrate from host to host. They can't reproduce with out brood present. That's why I think mid winter would be more effective to attack varroa with something. Yes I believe in the if it isn't broke don't fix it philosophy also, but I do study how to fix something in case it does break.

Slow Drone, it sounds to me like you just volunteered to do the study. This all sounds reasonable but you can imagine all sorts of complication. In other words, somebody needs to try it.

Do you have enough hives to treat some this way, leave the others alone? I don't, but surely some do.

Add to my complication that one of my hives just produced zero mites on a sugar roll yesterday. That's a fluke ... probably should have produced 2 but one standard deviation is +/- 1.4. They dropped 14 into the tray with the help of some sugar dusting over 6 days. They would hardly be interesting subjects.

Phoebee I do have the resources for most studies without question. The question would be what is most needed to study? I feel most testing for varroa populations are greatly flawed you can default to formulas for probabilities and statistics and still draw the same conclusions without killing one bee, but even that in it's self would be flawed. Give me an idea I'll test it but there will still be argument with the results, only human nature. I believe that during the mites phoretic stage is when they are most vulnerable that's when you would probably see more live mites fall naturally or provoked by sugar dusting as an example. There is also a difference in the color between male and female mites when others know how to tell which is which that's another step in the right direction. There is also other types of varroa, not all are a death sentence for honeybees only one type is V.destructor that's the one to conquer. Give me an idea as to what you think needs to be studied how it should be studied in a manner that would be of a benefit to those who treat and to those who don't and I'll run with it.

Oh, and they are a favorite food of ants too.

I would like to see you test thermal treatment for Varroa destructor. Use The Mighty Mite Killer (Beehive Thermal Industries), The Victor (Greenbeehives.com), Apiguard, and a control group. Use each as directed. Take a mite count 20 days later. Thanks in advance.

As far as the mites life cycle is concerned My understanding is that the male never comes out of the cell it was born in so I can not see how one can differentiate from the colors of the fallen mites as to male or female. I believe there is a difference in color between mature and immature mites but that is for females.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123