Shallow super actual weight

Default Shallow super actual weight

3 supers weighed after removal:
    1 = 44.3 pounds
    1 = 46.8 pounds
    1 = 47.1 pounds

All three were full of honey, the lighter weight super had 10 frames, the others had 9. I will weigh them empty later tonight and post the empty weight for comparison. The colony that this came from still has a deep with 6 frames of honey that I can pull if I choose. I decided not to because there are 7 frames in the bottom brood chamber that need to be culled. I may cull them this fall or perhaps wait until next spring. Either way, there is still 60 pounds of honey left on the colony. We need about 40 pounds at this time of year. Fall goldenrod should fill up both deeps so they will go into winter with about 90 pounds of honey.

This colony is exceptional in quite a few ways. This is how I ranked them on a scale of 1 to 10 for each trait.

Gentleness - 10, they are extremely easy to work. Zero stings while removing honey, zero agitated bees, the only flying bees were from the bee blower.

Mite tolerance - 9, they are from my strain of bees that have not been treated in 10 years. I checked carefully as I removed honey and found 1 mite in a drone cell.

Propolis - 7, They use a fair amount of propolis, nowhere near as much as caucasians, but a tad more than a good strain of Italian.

Honey production - 9, They produced about 120 pounds of harvestable honey above winter requirements.

Hive Beetles - 6, They had about 150 beetles in the top of the colony where bees could not get to them.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Shallow super actual weight

I need to get some of that strain over here in GA! Maybe one day. I am glad that your bees are doing so well!
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    3 supers weighed after removal:
    1 = 44.3 pounds
    1 = 46.8 pounds
    1 = 47.1 pounds
    According to those numbers it would be better to have 10 frames instead of 9 per box.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    According to those numbers it would be better to have 10 frames instead of 9 per box.
    What kind of math is that?

the lighter weight super had 10 frames, the others had 9.
    1 super = 44.3 pounds / 10 frames = 4.43 lbs per frame
    1 super = 46.8 pounds / 9 frames = 5.2 lbs per frame
    1 super = 47.1 pounds / 9 frames = 5.23 lbs per frame

Seems like the supers with 9 frames had considerably more honey per frame!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    What kind of math is that?
    I am not going to teach you third grade arithmetic Rader.
    Brian Cardinal

Thats fine Ace, I learned simple division in 2nd grade!

But how could more honey per frame [in the 9 frame supers] not be better that the less robust results in the 10 frame supers? Isn't 5.2 lbs per frame better than 4.4?

... note that I 'showed my work' in post #4. Remember that from math classes?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks for this post Fusion Power. Were all of your frames 100% drawn/filled? I have a few supers that the girls refuse to 100% fill the outside frames.

Steve

Ace, 9 frame supers weigh just a tad more than 10 frame supers. I'll take that 2 pound advantage any day. Less equipment required!

Steve, yes they were filled all the way to the outside wall. This colony was exceptionally good at packing the frames full to the max. This is a trait associated with exceptionally fast wax building. Once the bees went into the supers this spring, they never slowed down until the flow ended 2 months later.

I should have included a note that they never showed the slightest sign of swarming preparation. All I did was stack supers on as fast as they needed them. They drew wax in 2 shallows and one deep and still made 120 pounds of honey.

Sorry folks, I didn't get them extracted last night, but will work on them this afternoon. I still have 6 more colonies with honey to remove.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    Ace, 9 frame supers weigh just a tad more than 10 frame supers.
    Yup, I am the one that is brain dead. I was looking at the numbers as per frame not per box. Rough day yesterday. Picked 35 pounds of blueberries and then had to process it all. Too much sugar licking the spoon but oooh so good.
    Brian Cardinal

The average empty wet super weight is 17 pounds 4 ounces with 9 frames, 18 pounds even with 10 frames. I suspect my extractor is leaving about 1 to 2 pounds of honey in the frames. This puts me right at 30 pounds of honey extracted per 9 frame super and 26 to 27 pounds per 10 frame super.

Fusion_Power, by "shallow super" do you mean a true shallow or are you referring to medium? We just harvested 90 pounds of honey (net weight in jars) from 25 medium frames this weekend.

5 11/16 shallow super S-2. I've checked per frame yield several times over the years. A shallow frame where 9 frames are in a super will yield just a tad over 3 pounds of honey. That works out to 10 quarts of honey from each shallow super.