Odd activity

Thread: Odd activity

Default Odd activity

This may or may not be odd, i went to the hives today to do my weekly check up, when I got out of the truck the hum was extremely loud, i park about 20 yards from the hives. Looking at the hives the was a lot of bees flying and on the sides of the boxes. I walked back to the truck to get my smoker started and put on my veil and hundreds of bees in the air approximately 30 yards from the hives. I went on and got everything ready and went in to the hives, most of the bees had settled down and there were very few out front of the boxes now. When I went back to the truck all the bees that were in the air had gone, not sure if they were swarming or what just appeared odd to me. It has been raining here and very overcast on and off for the last 24 to 48 hours and it is expected to continue into tomorrow. Any ideas on what was going on. I looked around and could not find a swarm anywhere.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Odd activity

Mating flight for a virgin queen perhaps?

Orientation or cleansing flights, maybe?
    Donny

bees doing bee stuff .

We had two steady days of rain this past week and my bees did the same thing. I think after a couple of days in the hive they all seem to come out at the same time and just fill the air. Kind of cool to watch. This time of there are a lot of new bees each day and orientation flights get backed up when their cooped up in the hive.

Mine did the same after the rain let up today. Bees everywhere and after a bit they settled down.

I'd probably take a cleansing flight after being cooped up too.

I have a hive that does that around 4pm about every other day or so. I'm thinking orientation flights.