Photos of my partial sheet of foundation in deep frames -experiment - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Photos of my partial sheet of foundation in deep frames -experiment

well said warmbees! I have noticed the same thing about every ones armpits,lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I wanted to see how the whole partial sheet of foundation works. So I plan on doing it this year with swarms. If I can ever get a call this year. Should yield some interesting results.

Doing half sheets of rite cell foundation.
    20150301_183927_zpswqud8h8w.jpg

Adding more wax to foundation.
    20150301_184815_zpsrjomfa7e.jpg

Kudos goes to my wife for cleaning up my mess

I just cut out a bunch of drone comb from the sides of some of mine today! It's great for keeping the mite populations down!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBex View Post
    I wanted to see how the whole partial sheet of foundation works. So I plan on doing it this year with swarms. If I can ever get a call this year. Should yield some interesting results.

Doing half sheets of rite cell foundation.
    20150301_183927_zpswqud8h8w.jpg

Adding more wax to foundation.
    20150301_184815_zpsrjomfa7e.jpg

Kudos goes to my wife for cleaning up my mess

Adding wooden dowels.
    20150305_175252_zpsydiu4oih.jpg

20150305_175244_zpsptjzzsqn.jpg

Got a call for a swarm today. Swarm was bigger than a basketball probably over 6 pounds of bees. Filled a NUC up with no frames in it, after I added frames had to put second NUC on top just so they wouldn't be pouring out the front.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBex View Post
    Adding wooden dowels.
    20150305_175252_zpsydiu4oih.jpg

20150305_175244_zpsptjzzsqn.jpg

Got a call for a swarm today. Swarm was bigger than a basketball probably over 6 pounds of bees. Filled a NUC up with no frames in it, after I added frames had to put second NUC on top just so they wouldn't be pouring out the front.
    Someday Spring will arrive here, -6 this AM; I too am going to try Lauris idea. Hope it works well for us. ��
    Proverbs 16:24

This is awesome work, Lauri! Thanks for the ideas!
    Zone 7B - central Arkansas. 8fr meds. 6 hives. 5 years. Still a beginner.

I'm using this method this year with all new starts. Why are we putting the dowels in the bottom? To keep the comb straight in a line with the foundation?

Quote Originally Posted by Scpossum View Post
    I'm using this method this year with all new starts. Why are we putting the dowels in the bottom? To keep the comb straight in a line with the foundation?
    I only put the dowels on the top, to keep the foundation from shifting around and I added some wax on the dowels to help draw straight comb.

Went into the swarm today and seen some pretty straight combs on the partial sheets.

Last edited by ChrisBex; 03-21-2015 at 07:47 PM.

I tried several frames of the 1/3 sheet of Rite cell last summer. I guess my bees are unruly. They made an absolute mess from it. Very, very few of those frames have a "solid" comb from side to side. Most of them are split into 3 unique sections of comb, starting at the frame sides and stopping at the Rite Cell.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    I do feel the new frames were a big part of that. But my management, local circumstances and genetics here is also a big factor.

I didn't have any swarms last year ether. Over 100 hives then. I Thought I didn't have any swarms, and it was confirmed this spring when I discovered one 2012 marked queen after another in the big hives. There is no mistaking that. All my queens are marked so I know exactly the age & lineage of the queen.

These frames helped to avoid backfilling in brood cells. Anything that helps avoid the swarming impulse is a benefit. And although I have a lot of smaller & medium sized colonies, I have a lot 3-6 deeps or larger that were a little heavier going into the flow than I wanted.
    My main flow is over now. Inspections look great. They are well suited to go into our late summer dearth. It hasn't rained here for ages and everything is burning up.

Still, my swarm traps sit empty in my yard.

Instead of this:

I get this, where they are only backfilling the drone cells. With a fair amount of large cells available, they always choose them first when backfilling:

If the partial frames have space for 1/3 to 1/2 large cell, but the frames are alternated with solid sheets, that gives you around 20% drone comb/fall feed storage possible in the brood area. Excellent for good early queen rearing and then-overwintering successfully.

How are you using the partial frames in the hive that helps stop swarming? Do you have 10 partial frames in each brood box or do you alternate them 50/50? Do you checkerboard with partial frames?

Really fascinating! I am a new bee and have a lot to learn. I "liked" your fb page and am looking forward to learning more, thanks for sharing your innovations and ideas. I am using starter strips of foundation now, and am going to try your method of having the partial piece down the middle instead of across the top of the frame. Thanks!

So you get larger cells where the strip is and small where it isn't (except drone cells)? I tried a horizontal lange I built with 33 deep frames foundationless. They did a great job with the comb but I learned the hard way not to mess with comb when cold. I don't like completely foundationless because too fragile. I may try your idea with next hive. Will 1/2 strip frames hold up in an extractor?

Yes, you will get what the bees want at the time. I believe Lauri was putting some of these frames in the brood nest when they were hell bent on expansion. That will give you worker brood. If you put them in the supers like I did they will draw bigger cells for honey storage. If they are placed on the outside of the brood nest you might get drone cells. One advantage is if they were placed in the supers they could tear these cells down next year and use them for brood because that part of the comb is foundationless.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    One advantage is if they were placed in the supers they could tear these cells down next year and use them for brood because that part of the comb is foundationless.
    Bees tear down large areas of the existing cells on a frame and rebuild them? Under what circumstances does this happen?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Bees tear down large areas of the existing cells on a frame and rebuild them? Under what circumstances does this happen?
    don't let facts get in the way of his story

I was wondering how folks that tried this type of frame came out. I should have some time this weekend to answer questions and give more tips on useage if anyone needs more help.

Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Hey Lauri I asked you earlier if you had tried it with wax, you said you hadn't, well I did and had the same results. I didn't get a lot of it in, and have some in second boxes on late nucs now, but they are working it very nice. I will be pulling the last of my honey once they finish drying this last run of sumac, I have a few of those frames scattered amongst the foundationless, I will try and post a picture for you. Cool Idea. Thanks for sharing. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

Hi Lauri, I tried a few frames in an undrawn super and interspersed some in a drawn super. I don't think I had the correct timing regarding a heavy flow. Our autumn flow should be starting soon so I hope that will encourage the wax. I also have a small super with undrawn wax foundation that I am hoping will be drawn for some cut comb; I am not sure if it should have been done in the Spring. Thank you for offering a follow-up.
    Proverbs 16:24

Laurie,
    Thanks for sharing this idea. I tried it and love the way it worked out for me. The bees made sections of drone comb where they wanted it and I got some cut comb honey. A lot less bur comb below the frames. Some of the comb they had drawn out for drones got filled with honey instead. Interesting to see the large cells filled with honey. Not to mention I saved a little money on foundation.

I tried this method in my new hives, mostly with success. I definitely recommend putting in the popsicle sticks. I just left most of my frames with the partial foundation and no guide on the side. The bees sometimes would center the comb on one side of the split in the frame. It ends up working out eventually, but they'd do better with a center guide.

Nicely built, though not fully connected at the bottoms. Still strong enough for inspections so far:

This frame had only about a 3" wide strip of foundation down the middle. Still building nicely.

-Squirrel 2x8 Frame Langs USDA Zone 6a

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast