SHB populations low this year? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: SHB populations low this year?

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    A dangerous assumption if you saw an shb larva. Evidently....at least one has successfully laid eggs in the brood nest.
    And what would be your re-course Dan? Thanks. G
    it may have been a wax moth too. I dont know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

noticeably fewer this year compared to precious years, perhaps the long cold winter knocked them back.

Quote Originally Posted by biggraham610 View Post
    And what would be your re-course Dan? Thanks. G
    it may have been a wax moth too. I dont know.
    I suspect that there are often a few larva hatching out in a hive, but as long as the hive is strong they clean them up without any real problems before you even notice them. I could be wrong, but I just don't see how the bees can prevent a few eggs from being laid here and there. I know I have seen the few odd larva in oil trays in otherwise healthy hives.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

A healthy, queenright colony of bees is tremendously aggressive at keeping nest invaders out of the brood nest. Under ordinary conditions shb will lay their eggs in capped brood cells or cells containing pollen. I would say that the opportunity for a female shb to lay eggs in such a vigorous hive is low. I cannot ever recall seeing a single shb larvae. I either see zero, a few or hundreds depending on the condition of the colony. On those occasions when I see a few, it is only a matter of time before there are hundreds.
    Let's hope it was a wax moth larva.
    All only my opinion.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Thanks David and Dan. The Colony is from a split it is in a single deep with a medium on top. It is busting at the seams. But, refusing to draw comb in the medium. I was considering removing the medium but am still holding out hope they will draw when the flow picks back up. i know wax moth and shb larvae look similar, but I was under the impression that a strong colony could defend against both. I will keep a close eye on that colony as well as the rest. Any thoughts on the medium? Remove or Leave? Thanks. G

Default Re: SHB populations low this year?/Controlling methods suggestions, please/

Exactly. I see lots of them in my area too. Just a few days ago popped-up the top cover, and I saw a few dozens corralled by the bees on the cover from inside. And, it's a strong hive. I don't see damages by them yet. I have never seen damages in previous years as well in strong colonies. I don't treat at all. I see much more shb than varoa. What really works to reduce their numbers? Any suggestions, please? No poisons, please.

Default Re: SHB populations low this year?/Controlling methods suggestions, please/

I've seen a few SHB in both my hives. No damage yet but both are pretty strong hives. Have screened bottom with oil trap at the bottom lots are dead. Few running around on the inner cover, not treated with check mite or anything just SBH oil trap seems to work well as bees chase down and they fall in.

I have seen much less SHB this year. I believe its due to a wetter, colder winter and changes in the way our local cucumber and melon crops are managed (in their native africa SHB are only an occasional pest of the western honey bee, but are a pest of the melon crops). Also, we had a good spring and hives built up strong, fast. On the other hand, I've seen wax moths in several hives and in a couple of stored supers. Its always something! If I have to pick, I'd pick the moths.

If they are sparse where you are, it is probably because they all came to Texas. I have fought them down in my hives, but they are a real problem here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12