SHB populations low this year?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SHB populations low this year?

Very few SHB in my yard compared to last 2 years - especially noticeable when we extracted honey over the last few days. Very very few came in with the supers. However I did use honey robber and a fume board for the first time this year. I wonder if that pushed them out?
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: SHB populations low this year?

I'm seeing nothing for hive beetles this year also. Last year I saw them everywhere including areas nowhere near any hives. I usually see a few when I make up nucs but I'm just not seeing any, really breaks my heart

I'll share.

If you asked this question 2 weeks ago I would have agreed. I was only seeing maybe one per hive and maybe two in the bottom oil trap.
    Checked the trays Monday and I stopped counting after 30 of those nasty SOB's per hive.
    Don't let your guard down, they're lurking somewhere!

I'm not seeing them this year, either.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

I've seen one or two this year, far fewer than last year, which was my first.
    Pete. New 2013, 12 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

Yep...not so many....but enough.
    I've pulled a couple of slimed hives this week. Most likely went queenless and I failed to notice. Even in the slimed hives, with thousands of shb larvae, there were only a few shb. It only takes one....I'm thinkin'.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    Very few SHB in my yard compared to last 2 years -
    Super low SHB here too, a bumper honey crop, great success with queen mating, and nearly 100% winter survival. i think that cold winter of 2013/2014 ROCKED fro the bees!
    karla

I rarely see SHB but my beek friends that live 5 miles away have had record numbers. I haven't trapped or treated. Go figure.
    South Florida, 9 hives, TF, foundation free, slatted racks, bottom entrances, zone 10b

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    Super low SHB here too, a bumper honey crop, great success with queen mating, and nearly 100% winter survival. i think that cold winter of 2013/2014 ROCKED fro the bees!
    I've had the same experience here. I know it was a brutal winter, but I think that may have wiped out most of the SHB larvae in the ground with a frost line in excess of 2' deep. Haven't seen one yet this year. I know they will be back, but it's been nice having a break from the nasty varmints.
    To everything there is a season....

I think that Mike may be right. Were I live we have hard clay soil, and with weeks of freezing weather with some days highs in the single digits I think it killed a lot of larvae. I did have a few that overwintered with one hive, but I haven't seen any in that hive at all in the last few months. The only hives I have seen with them in it were a couple nucs that I picked up from NC. Those hives are strong and are keeping them in check it seems.

We extracted 8 frames of honey yesterday. So far this year, I have not even seen one shb.
    Charlie
    9 hives - 10 years (also had 7 hives in early 1970's) T as needed - zone 6

Seen Only a couple all season, thank goodness I havent had to battle them yet. Second year, I expect I will at some point, glad that point is not now. G

Not seen any this year either. Colonies seem far less agressive too. Not complaining. Keeping the oil trays full of oil tho, just in case.
    Fines are taxes for doing wrong. Taxes are fines for doing right.

How did ya`ll get so lucky?..it wasn't bad until this heat really hit,my colonies with screened bottom boards have them but not bad at all, but my solid bottom boards are not so lucky,ive declared war on those with two beetle blasters per deep and took some advice from Don the fat beeman and made some acid traps,i just don't like having to pop my deeps once a week to replace oil traps,id rather leave the girls alone as much as possible,Time to order more SBBs

Somewhere on here I read that you shouldn't have a compost bin anywhere near the beehives. I had one last year and I had lots of SHB. I don't have one this year and I just saw my first beetle this weekend.
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards

Lots and Lots and Lots......My biggest pest(and really only...they say that Varroa is in every hive but it's the SHB that is prevalent!) As for a compost bin.........I live in the middle of one in Florida forest.....decaying vegetation everywhere. Havent done the Checkmite yet but sure it's coming. In the meanwhile..oil trays under the SBB, oil traps up in the frames, and my hive tool for SHB mush.

I was doing an inspection yesterday and saw a bee cart a larvae off of the frame I was holding. The box is packed with bees, Im assuming they are keeping them in check. It was quite a sight, that worm was wiggling like mad, I was going to crush it but the bee held on and off she went before I could get the satisfaction. G

Quote Originally Posted by biggraham610 View Post
    Im assuming they are keeping them in check.
    A dangerous assumption if you saw an shb larva. Evidently....at least one has successfully laid eggs in the brood nest.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I found a few in both my huge, strong hives yesterday when I went out to pop the tops and see how the hives were doing as far as capping....but none in the nucs. How strange.

It did look like perhaps the bees had corralled the SHBs to the inner cover and my moving it let them loose. Ugh.

My hives sit on carpet, and we have heavy clay soil, but the pests are here anyway. Time to bust out the traps.

Still no varroa. I check every 3 weeks and haven't seen one yet.
    made it to the second year with three hives, zone 6b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast