Are You In The Closet?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are You In The Closet?

If you don't sign your Posts w/ you own real name, why not? If your screen name and the name on your Birth Certificate aren't the same, why not? I am sure that there are good reasons I just don't know what they might be. One person told me that if his customers read what he wrote he might lose the business of some customers. Okay, I don't see why, but, okay. What other reasons are there?

And while I am asking, what's up w/ not filling out one's Profile truthfully and seriously? again I am sure that there are real answers. What are they?
    Mark Berninghausen

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Are You In The Closet?

I would say largely because of google and the fact that everything is FOREVER searchable there as long as it ever was online. People have privacy and security concerns
    Pachysandra King of the Ground-covers!

Good question Mark, don't have an answer to that one myself. But just guessing, i'd have to say the feeling of Anonymity.. That way if they say something that gets upon someone else's nerves and gets told off or put straight it's like nothing personal.. Just a guess.. For me though i'm like you in the fact my name is there and if i'm wrong, let me know.. lol
    Thomas Bartram

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    If you don't sign your Posts w/ you own real name, why not? If your screen name and the name on your Birth Certificate aren't the same, why not? I am sure that there are good reasons I just don't know what they might be. One person told me that if his customers read what he wrote he might lose the business of some customers. Okay, I don't see why, but, okay. What other reasons are there?

And while I am asking, what's up w/ not filling out one's Profile truthfully and seriously? again I am sure that there are real answers. What are they?

True story time. This happened to me a few years ago. I posted on a SciFi forum for quite a long time and got to know a good many folks that way. I enjoyed posting every day or so and hearing back from acquaintances that I came to think of as friends. Then one Sunday morning I woke up to find a stranger sitting on my front porch. He'd read my posts, researched my name and location, and figured out where exactly I was...and decided to visit. He'd also decided he was my new best friend even though he'd never actually posted anything on the site and I didn't know him from adam. He stayed on my front porch for DAYS. I think the only reason he didn't just walk right in and make himself at home was I had a pair of nice, big Dobies and they scared him. It took several visits from the local sheriff's department to finally convince him to go back home, which is how I eventually found out HIS home was a mental hospital in another state.

I no longer post anything but a p.o. box for an address, I never post a phone number, and I still keep very BIG dogs.

Sometimes a little anonymity is a good thing.

JMO

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

Your name plus date of birth are two of the key ingredients for identity theft. I never put my exact date of birth for that reason. I know a fellow who got some serious harassment that involved wife and children and it came about by being lax with personal information. Some certifiable nut case from a forum gave him a lot of grief. If you were claiming to be someone you were not, I would say that was deceitful. Don't lie, but dont feel compelled to disclose unnecessary information.

Edit; just read Rusty's post above; that is similar to the experience my friend had.

US Marshall, FBI, CIA, DEA, DA, Judge, numerous others for their protection and the protection of their families. Honesty is the best policy but now a days the truth can get you or your loved ones hurt. There's people that mean ill will to others for simply doing their jobs.

After a forum experience in the early net days, certain level of ambiguity is necessary.

Forum flame war where members called child services and had them removed over false sex claims.
    Party #3 vengefully drove across state lines and threw bag of drugs, gun, and $100 in fives in garbage can of party #2. DEA n FDLE involved at that point.

Yes, my screen name has many meanings. Locha is translated to turtle.

Mikey

I am not ashamed of who I am. I will meet you and we can talk. I happily sign emails and pms. I also have researched people and am always amazed at how much information that can be easily found through only a few minutes on the net. I know what the internet is capable of and I also know the depravity of mankind. Then again, I also tend to be paranoid.

I always use a screen name. I have met people on forums face to face and have always had nice results. But there are trolls that will pick at you and try to find out personal info. I have always been wary.

I don't do Facebook, Tweet, or any of the other BS on the net. I do poke around forums that have personal interest to me. I gain info and try to pass on knowledge. But I don't like to reveal much personal info because there are those out there that will take advantage of it. Facebook is the devil, who cares where I squatted last night?..

Search engines pick up everything. And the almighty US gov is listening all of the time. Who knows what they are looking for.

I also do not Facebook. I didn't even have to read the whole privacy agreement before I knew it wasn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by xcugat View Post
    I would say largely because of google and the fact that everything is FOREVER searchable there as long as it ever was online. People have privacy and security concerns
    But Will, we know who you are because you list your website on every post and every website has a domain owner.
    Regards, Barry

Troutsqueezer IS my real name. Don't make fun of me...

Potential employers have taken to Google in efforts to find out more about hiring candidates. If they read some of my posts, I'd be living in the streets.
    Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.

Privacy in the electronic age is why I use a pseudonym online instead of my given name.

Face to face, I get to choose to with whom I share my name and city with, and i reserve the right to do the same online as well.

Once i become acquainted with someone online, I may decide to share personally identifying information as when we spoke on the phone when I was in Elmira, Mark, but I dont' think it's wise to give strangers my name and a means to locate my home online anymore than I would in person.

Because of AROCK.

Some people get excited at the possibility of messing with someone in real life over crap posted on the internet.
    It's really pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsqueezer View Post
    If they read some of my posts, I'd be living in the streets.
    So for you it is so you can say things you wouldn't say otherwise? Or so you can say things that would get you fired?

Maybe being out would modify your behavior in a positive manor? I wrote things in beesource which were used against me and cost me $28,000.00. But, I figure, looking back, that information could have been found and established by a competent investigator w/out my public admission.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    ... that information could have been found and established by a competent investigator w/out my public admission.
    Ah, but a competent investigator isn't out to do you harm just for kicks or because of some mental irregularity! BIG difference. I once had to change my phone number because of an ad I placed to sell a car. Trust me, the caller was NOT interested in the car. And 250 calls later the phone company agreed. But that was years ago and I doubt they bother helping now. But ANY information that you put out in the public sphere can be used to bite you later, so people really should be WAY more careful than they are.

Oh, and Barry, you can hide your ownership of your websites now by paying a small fee to the domain registrar. Then they list their info in the database instead of yours so total strangers cannot use it to harass you. I'm quite certain the info is still available to law enforcement and such but it does give you a small degree of privacy.

It's a very different world from the one I grew up in and nowadays people need to protect themselves from the kooks out there.

JMO

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

I don't mind showing what city I'm in but would never post my real name, main email account, or other pertinant information on any websites. At the very least, it cuts down on spam, phishing, and hackers. Some of you have already listed some of the worse things that can happen. Who knows when you might make some comment or disagree with someone on a forum and some nut takes issue with it and shows up at your house.
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards

Several years ago I decided to stop using any screen names other than my own on the grounds that it helps me to remember to act civil - for the most part. If my Mamma was to Google me I don't think she would be too embarrassed.

No identity theft type problems so far. I'm pretty sure my name and address are a matter of public record anyway, and my cell phone has this nifty "block caller" feature. And even though i've never had to do it I don't think i would have a problem telling someone on my poch that it's time for them to go home. Anyway it's not one of the things that keeps me from sleeping. Not yet anyway.

I think sometimes in this modern world of too much information we tend to overestimate the likelihood of the worse case scenario.
    Last edited by David LaFerney; 07-14-2014 at 06:59 AM.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

Couldn't agree more, David. I don't live a life of fear. Some get paranoid about their email address being public. Mine has been out there for a long time. I've had disgruntled people spam my email, but a few short clicks and they are filtered forever.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    Oh, and Barry, you can hide your ownership of your websites now by paying a small fee to the domain registrar.
    Yes, all my domains are private registrations. I was simply pointing out the obvious that if you give everyone your website URL, unless you've secured your registration information, it's out there for all to see.
    Regards, Barry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast