Honey Container Prices - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Honey Container Prices

Better have your children drink from plastic cups eat off plastic plates with plastic utensils. Its so messy to teach someone how to be careful with things that are breakable. This way they can readily accept our wonderful world of plastics and keep filling our landfills and oceans with these disposable items that are seldom recycled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

My long term experience is that a squeezable not PET unsqueezable 12 oz bear is the most popular container I sell. Quart jars and pints are cheaper out of the big box stores than you can get plastic usually after shipping but people want the bear to refill and have for the kids on the table.

I have bought from Sailor Plastics and Gamber Plastics. I cant remember the cost per unit, but I do recall that Gamber was the cheapest by far. You have to by a lot (3 to 4 hundred) and call for pricing, but it is worth it.

http://www.gambercontainer.com/store/honey-containers
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

I sell my honey for roughly $7 a pound ( price goes up as container get smaller) I suppose if your wholesaling your honey you care about .10 in container costs but for the amount of time it takes to try to figure out that out... not worth it to me. If im doing the math right its not worth the 1.4% cost.

Quote Originally Posted by doug reed View Post
    Better have your children drink from plastic cups eat off plastic plates with plastic utensils. Its so messy to teach someone how to be careful with things that are breakable. This way they can readily accept our wonderful world of plastics and keep filling our landfills and oceans with these disposable items that are seldom recycled.
    Sorry Doug, I don't have any kids. So glass containers never end up in the landfills or oceans? I wonder how so many ocean/lake swimmers cut their feet on glass?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    Sorry Doug, I don't have any kids. So glass containers never end up in the landfills or oceans? I wonder how so many ocean/lake swimmers cut their feet on glass?
    No kids? Sorry. Sure changed my life for the better.
    Plenty of glass in oceans and landfills. Not the best choice, but they will eventually breakdown into the sand from which they came. You probably wont find them in the stomach of sea turtles, or in the Texas sized plastic mess in the Pacific Ocean.
    Sorry about the cut feet. Swam in the ocean all my life. Haven't had a glass cut. Just lucky I guess.

Humans are the only species on earth that was given ingenuity. What did we do with it? Made all this crap that is detrimental to our existence.

When making the decision what to use for containers this year I did a little research. I chose glass because glass jars can be turned back into glass glass jars. A key component of making glass anything, is crushed glass. It is truly recycled. A plastic bottle can not be recycled into another plastic bottle. It is "down-cycled" being turned into carpet pad or plastic composite wood. Considering our city gave a full size recycling bin to every house in the city, I know that the glass will be recycled.

Glass may get recycled, but not necessarily back into glass containers. Plenty of 'recycled' glass simply gets crushed and used as an additive to asphalt, or 'rock' for septic drain fields, or as just a substitute for plain gravel as a road base material. More on those glass 'recycling' uses here:

http://deq.mt.gov/recycle/Glass/pulverizer.mcpx

Whether recycled glass gets remelted and used as new glass often depends on transportation costs. If the crushed glass is too far away from a glass plant - it won't make into new glass as transportation costs are too high.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by giant pumpkin peep View Post
    A plastic bottle can not be recycled into another plastic bottle.
    You may find this product page interesting ....
    http://www.sks-bottle.com/PCRValueAdded.html

• - Use of PCR plastic helps avoid the further depletion of fossil fuels.
    • - PCR plastic can be made out of 100% post-consumer content.
    • - PCR plastic offers resistance to stress cracking.
    • - PCR plastic maintains a low gas-vapor transmission rate.
    • - PCR plastic offers similar durability and appearance of PET plastic.
    • - Less energy and water is required to produce PCR plastic than other plastic types.

http://www.sks-bottle.com/PCRValueAdded.html
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I guess for the hundred million not working there is time for them to paw thru their trash and allow beaurocrats to get bonuses for their brave actions. Employed people would spend their time better being productive. Why do we need to conserve SAND?

When I give my customers the choice of glass or plastic they say glass of course. Who wouldn't? It's easier to clean and recycle. If just feels fresher too. I'd rather have my soda from a glass bottle if I could get it for a comparable price.

On the other hand when I give them the choice of glass or a "squeeze bottle" their eyes light up and they say squeeze bottle every time. I have customers who buy from me just because I sell squeeze bottles. I can't get rid of the few glass jars I have left.
    11 yrs. 25 Hives T Zone 7a

For those looking to buy a few plastic containers (around 100), I have found Betterbee's bulk packaged bottles to be a good deal. I just received 100 1 lb plastic queenline squeeze bottles with caps and shipping for $61.50. They have similar deals on other styles, and service was very prompt.
    Beekeeping 6 winters, 17 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I guess for the hundred million not working there is time for them to paw thru their trash and allow beaurocrats to get bonuses for their brave actions. Employed people would spend their time better being productive. Why do we need to conserve SAND?
    Vance, I'd like to think I'm a productive person since I work an average 54 hour work week with a 40 minute ride each way, 6 days a week for my day job. Then there's my freelance design work that keeps me working past midnight some nights. An somehow I get out to work the bees. Still, being the superhuman that I am, I am able to paw through my trash and separate glass from plastic in my trash for recycling and estimate I spend, at most, 20 seconds a day doing it. And get this, these 20 seconds includes the time needed to separate cardboard! Once a month I go to the recycling center (if I can get off the Saturday they're open.)

Why do I go to these superhuman extremes to conserve sand? Because, while sand is the dominant physical component of glass, the biggest non-physical components of glass comprises the waste required in the initial production and the energy costs to produce the initial glass. The energy costs to produce it can be broken down to the cost of the fuel, the costs to taxpayers for fossil fuel subsidies and, arguably, the monetary and human costs we pay to have troops and government contractors used to protect our interests in oil-producing regions.

Far too simplistic to argue we are "conserving sand" unless you can point me to where honey jars sprout from the beach.

Wayne

Wasn't this thread originally about pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by dnichols View Post
    Wasn't this thread originally about pricing?
    Why, yes it was. I believe it was answered in posts during the discussion. And thank you for answering the original question..... Oh, wait a minute, you didn't answer it.

Never mind. Return to your moderating duties.

Thank you.

Wayne

wayne, if we are talking about the real total cost of plastic vs. glass. what about all the fuel we waste taking stuff to be recycled, and the absurd ton/miles wasted hauling the stuff to be processed? more energy wasted by feel good policies.

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    wayne, if we are talking about the real total cost of plastic vs. glass. what about all the fuel we waste taking stuff to be recycled, and the absurd ton/miles wasted hauling the stuff to be processed? more energy wasted by feel good policies.
    I'm going to assume that you are not one of those that takes the household trash and throws it out alongside the road. Otherwise, if you simply throw plastic, glass, aluminum, cardboard, etc in the trash, does it somehow magically make its way to landfills without the use of fuel and find itself buried below ground without incurring the costs of land-fill construction, earth-moving machinery, operator costs, site cleanup costs, etc? Do the waste haulers and landfill owners/operators operate as a charitable service in your area or are they making a profit on your trash?

Your local government could spend less time feeling good about their recycling program and start feeling great by looking to spend more money on finding and constructing new landfill space that the additional waste (perhaps a 50% more) needs to be hidden below ground for hundreds or thousands of years.

Makes sense for me to recycle. Takes me very little effort and with composting and chickens, I have very little trash at the end of a week. Personally, I don't care if you recycle or not. Throw it along the road if that makes sense for you. Certainly would seem to satisfy your cost concern.

Wayne

My plastic squeeze bottles are marked with a '1' on the bottom. they can be recycled, landfilled or tossed along the road with equal convenience.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast