Honey Container Prices
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Honey Container Prices

We have been using the 1 pound plastic oval container from sailor plastics. For a case of 225 plus caps and shipping, it comes to about .57 per bottle. I cannot find another price anywhere near that low from any other vendor. I am about to order another case, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a better deal elsewhere. Does anyone know of a better deal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honey Container Prices

I know a lot of people that stay away from anything sold in plastic. I try not to eat anything out plastic myself.

I think you will sell just as much honey using glass, despite the added cost to the consumer.

My customers love these: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...uctinfo/PEJ1C/
    With the dripless lids they are about .68.
    I also have 1lb glass containers but few prefer them.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Just Say NO to Plastic.... LOL. Spend the money and get the glass.

I've have always preferred the quality of the honey bear containers from Sailor Plastics. I use the softer plastic LDPE container. I purchases some cheaper honey bear containers a few years back, but didn't like them.

Thats about right, heres what I pay from Kelley. Price does not include tax or gas to pick up. Never had a complaint about plastic, I think most moms/folks with kids prefer them due to squeeze and durability (not breaking). Most of my buyers are moms. I usually use widemouth glass hex jars for gifts, they are a nicer than plastic. Smaller containers that cap be dipped and are not easily knocked over.

Italics are glass.

Big Bear $ 0.65
    Muth $ 1.25
    Sqz Bear $ 0.65
    Hex $ 1.00
    Bear $ 0.53
    Bear (sm) $ 0.54
    Hex (sm) $ 0.67

I am getting ready to buy containers for our upcoming harvest. So, I have been conducting an informal survey among the women I know. 100% of them said they would rather buy honey in glass than plastic. So I will be picking up my glass containers this weekend from Walker Honey Farm. They are distributors for Gamber Container. www.gambercontainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Beeracuda View Post
    100% of them said they would rather buy honey in glass than plastic.
    Interesting! I agree that glass looks better, feels better, and poses no health risk. However....with four kids, the plastic with flip caps sure is cleaner.

I have never had anyone ask for glass containers nor has anyone ever complained about my plastic bottles. Do you drink pop or water from a bottle? I'm not saying that you aren't right about the glass, but I think you would find it difficult to not buy any of your food or drinks in plastic containers.

all beekeeping is local. apparently honey packaging is also local.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    I have never had anyone ask for glass containers nor has anyone ever complained about my plastic bottles. Do you drink pop or water from a bottle? I'm not saying that you aren't right about the glass, but I think you would find it difficult to not buy any of your food or drinks in plastic containers.
    I pretty much don't drink anything that isn't poured into a glass first, unless I am at an event or location that prevents it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachB
    Interesting! I agree that glass looks better, feels better, and poses no health risk. However....with four kids, the plastic with flip caps sure is cleaner.
    I didn't and haven't had anyone ask for glass. The question I asked was "If you were buying honey from me, produced in my hives, would you rather buy it in glass or plastic?". No one said plastic. Maybe it was because all of them had older or grown kids, but still all the women said plastic.

I still put all mine up in glass-pint,s and quart jars mostly ball- I have several local stores who want all I make- I never have enough to go around. it,s sold before the bees can make-it I might could make more money to put it in little containers and sell it a jar at a time but it sure is nice to extract it- bottle it- and load it all up and sell it at one time

Use glass the customers will pay more since it does not look like plastic store bears.

Glass all they way. Honey is not soda or water. it's a product that has value and presentation is important.
    Quote Originally Posted by dleemc1 View Post
    I still put all mine up in glass-pint,s and quart jars mostly ball- I have several local stores who want all I make- I never have enough to go around. it,s sold before the bees can make-it I might could make more money to put it in little containers and sell it a jar at a time but it sure is nice to extract it- bottle it- and load it all up and sell it at one time
    Why don't you raise your prices? I charge a lot for my honey and it still does not come close to paying me for my time.
    6 years-8 hives-T
    brooklyn-queen.com

When you have to heat your honey in these containers after it crystalizes, how well does it work?

You can decrystallize the plastic containers in warm water just fine. I've never tried to heat them past 120F.

I have a freezer that I heat to 102 degrees. The crystallized honey is liquid in a few days. I won't be switching to glass, because I like the flip lids and ability to squeeze the bottle. How do you get honey out of the glass bottles without making a sticky mess?

I have a freezer that I heat to 102 degrees. The crystallized honey is liquid in a few days. I won't be switching to glass, because I like the flip lids and ability to squeeze the bottle. How do you get honey out of the glass bottles without making a sticky mess?
    Turn it upside down and let gravity do its work.

Quote Originally Posted by NCBeekeeper View Post
    Turn it upside down and let gravity do its work.
    Then when you take the lid off you've created the abovementioned "sticky mess". The plastic squeeze bottles store "upside down" with their lid on the bottom and the lids are dripless.

How do you get honey out of the glass bottles without making a sticky mess?
    Pour your hot tea or coffee in, swish it around with the last of the honey, pour it back into the cup and drink. And personally, I'd much rather do that out of glass than plastic.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast