How long for a 4 frame nuc to start working foundation?

Default How long for a 4 frame nuc to start working foundation?

Hello all,

Bought my first two nuc's last Sunday and have been feeding sugar water since. My question is I can look up through the bottom screen board and see that the bees are still on the original frames and was wondering when they will move to the foundation frames and start drawing comb in my deep brood box?They are coming in with pollen and it has been almost a week now. Also, how long should I go before inspecting them the first time? Don't want to mess them up as soon as they get on a roll.

Thanks for all the help in advance!!!
    Greasydog26

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How long for a 4 frame nuc to start working foundation?

I would cover the screen with an inspection board or something to help retain heat. You can get into them everyday if you want too. It won't hurt except squishing a few bees or the queen.

As far as when they start drawing comb is totally dependent on the population size and flow.

Default Re: How long for a 4 frame nuc to start working foundation?

They will only pull comb when it is needed. With that said, it is dependant upon how much brood and bees are currently in the box. The queen will only lay up what the bees can keep warm. If you have a SBB on the hive, close it up for a few weeks and let them get some brood going on. Also reduce the entrance to keep them warm. It will help keep them strong.
    Thomas Bartram