Extractors
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extractors

Default Extractors

I've been looking for a good used power extractor for quite awhile now and nothing is showing up so I might have to go new . I was going to go with either the dadant ranger or the maxant 3100p both in the 6 frame range for about 775.00 .

I was browsing around for a little bigger unit because most say for the little difference in money you can go bigger for not much more . Thats when I came across the brushy mt. 831G only about 120.00 more and does 9 frames ( radially like the others) . Had my mind set on dadant or maxant for quality not sure about the brushy mt. although they seem to brag up the German motor . Has anyone used one ,here is a link to Brushy .

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/831G/

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...Extractors.pdf

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Extractors

I wouldn't buy anything less than an 18 frame... and since anything bigger than 20 won't fit through my kitchen door, probably nothing bigger than 20. If you don't need an 18 frame extractor, you really don't need an extractor, you just want one... and the 18 will be less frustrating.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I would rather go with a programable controller.

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    I would rather go with a programable controller.
    Means more money, it breaks, it means more money.
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

I don't know how much extractor you need, but I've got a Maxant 3100H... It is a great extractor and it will wear you out after awhile. I ended up taking off the hand crank / pully stuff and put on a 1/2" corded drill with a router speed control to vary the speed works great. I know its a cheap go around, but I have to save money where I can.

I have owned the Brushy Mt 9 frame "manual" extractor for 6 years. Works great but will kill you extracting large numbers. I wish I had bought the motorized version but I didn't. That being said they used to have a conversion kit but it cost almost as much as a new extractor. I did USMC's trick, works great. Cheap but my bees have not complained. If you buy it, go motorized.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Motorized for sure , wonder what gauge the brushy is in the 9 frame .

24 g on the bm extractor.
    Higher the number, the thinner the stainless
    www.maxantindustries.com

Maxant am I understanding your line-up , you jump from a 6 frame medium extractor all the way to a 20 frame medium with nothing in between ? Or is there a a 9 frame or 12 frame in there .

You are correct.
    We make nothing in between.
    We did all through the 70's,80's, and 90's
    Your options now with Maxant are
    2 frame
    3/6/9 frame
    20 frame
    www.maxantindustries.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I wouldn't buy anything less than an 18 frame... and since anything bigger than 20 won't fit through my kitchen door, probably nothing bigger than 20. If you don't need an 18 frame extractor, you really don't need an extractor, you just want one... and the 18 will be less frustrating.
    Sorry, but I don't agree with this assessment at all. The fact that many companies for the past several decades (likely longer) sell smaller extractors seems to suggest that there's a viable long-term market for sub-18 frame models. Could all these customers have erred? Sure, the smaller models may prove to be a stepping stone to larger ones, but to suggest that they are not needed seems very odd to me. I run the Dadant 12-frame motorized and you better believe that I NEED it. Would I like an 18? Sure, but I really can't justify the added costs at this point. The question to me is: would an 18 dramatically improve my throughput? I suspect not, given that all my uncapping is currently done by hand. I do all the extraction for my 50+ hives myself over many nights. The 12 frame is not a bad choice since uncapping is the bottleneck in the process. Besides, care and feeding of the 12 frame breaks up the drudgery of constant uncapping.

Would someone with 10 hives need a 18 frame extractor? If not, how would you suggest they deal with the 300 frames? Surely not crush and strain......
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

> The fact that many companies for the past several decades (likely longer) sell smaller extractors seems to suggest that there's a viable long-term market for sub-18 frame models.

There still seems to be a market for a two frame, hand crank, nonreversible, tangential. Why? It's a mystery to me, but I'm guessing that no one who is buying one has ever used one before... Just because people buy them does not mean they are a good idea.

>Would someone with 10 hives need a 18 frame extractor?

Crush and strain is fine. I can crush and strain 300 combs MUCH faster than I can extract them in a six frame extractor and worlds faster than a two frame tangential. And with the exact same amount of mess. Comb honey is fine. An 18 frame extractor is fine if you can afford it. Now you're finally up to a size that can compete with crush and strain for speed. But what is the point of something in between? A 9 frame extractor is not half the cost of an 18 frame extractor. It doesn't take up half the space in your garage. It does, however take a third again as long to extract your honey.

There is some rationale in the argument that two 9 frame extractors would allow you to continue to uncap while one extractor is running, but I've always needed to sit down and rest my feet now and then anyway, so I don't think it would speed things for me.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Well the brushy mountain seems like a better deal , it will do 9 frames instead of 6 , legs aren't extra . Wish I new about the quality , German motors are some of the best , anyone know what gauge stainless there using . Kind of wanted a maxant or dadant now this Brushy comes along .

I'm kinda looking at extractors myself and brushy mountain sells an 18 frame motorized radial for just $100 more than the nine frame. So by the way I see it for just $100.00 more I can get twice the extractor and jhalf the time to extract. Has anyone got any experience with either the nine or the 18 frame extractor from Brushy?

John ,your right twice the frames for only 100.00 more and it states with reverse on the 18 but I don't see it on the 9 frame , wish I could find more reviews from beeks that have used them .

Mann Lake 18 frame power extractor for me. I would buy it again and again if I needed to. They had them for under $1,000 during their Spring sale. That was a great deal!!

laketrout, I'm pretty sure the 9-frame from BM is a SAF brand. If it is SAF, it is the same extractor that my mentor has. He bought it from his best friend who bought a 12-frame Dadant. I've extracted my honey with it the last couple of years (small amount, 4-5 supers each year). My mentor works up to around 50 hives (he's in his 80's so is cutting back some). From what I understand it hasn't missed a beat with either owner...probably 8-9 years old. It seems to be well built and plenty sturdy enough to do it's intended job...slinging honey. I know that when I used it it performed flawlessly. Naturally, everybody will have a blowout or something all along...so far I've been fortunate with no problems. I like the heavier gauge of the Maxant but it's basically a 6-frame radial and I do like the added capacity of the SAF 9-frame. The Maxant's thicker metal would probably take getting bumped better than the metal of the SAF...but, with an investment like that I'd be taking some precautions and storing it safely.

And then there's the 18-frame for an extra $100. The 9 or 18 frame, that's what I'm debating on. I'm hoping to make my purchase in the first part of 2015 ...provided the 2014 honey crop brings in as much as last year's. And finally make the bees pay for something!!!

Ed
    Last edited by Intheswamp; 05-07-2014 at 10:34 PM.

I believe your right , they are made by SAF in Italy and it looks like the models for Brushy are made for them exclusively as they don't show up on the SAF website that I can find . Right now you pay about 340.00 more for a dadant 12 frame over the brushy 18 frame .The dadant is USA and probably heavier steel .Maxant's options are very limited either a 6 frame med. or a 20 frame med. but you can get there 20 frame for only 158.00 more than a dadant 12 frame !! And the hunt goes on !!!

I don't think I want or need a big production extractor , my goal is 6 colonies , how many supers could I possibly need to extract in a good season .
    Last edited by laketrout; 05-07-2014 at 09:48 PM.

I'm looking at the Maxant 20. I'll crush and strain till then. The way things are looking, I won't need it this year. No rain. No honey. But I don't like paying taxes, so I may dump some money into the F form write off on equipment (wood or stainless). If extracting equipment, it will sit until another year when there is honey to pull. But I have no reason to get anything smaller or bigger. After the extractor, a bottling tank, ect.
    Northern Ca. Zone 9b. Third year newb.

laketrout, check this thread out.... https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ight=extractor

For the last two years I've only managed to harvest honey from one colony each year...4-5 supers worth....75-110 pounds. I run all 8-frame mediums.

Ed

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast