NY State Winter losses
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NY State Winter losses

I have been hearing all sorts of reports on how much dieback there was in NY this Winter and am wondering what NY Beekeepers on Beesource have to report as to numbers, percentages, and cause of mortality.

I have heard of cases such as 9 out of 12 dead, 90% dead, all out of three dead, etc., etc. What has been your personal experience and what have you heard discussed at your club meetings or chatting w/ your neighboring beekeeper?

I had a 30% or more die back myself, even here in my NY bees in SC. Another, larger, commercial migratory beekeeper lost hundreds, 25%. I have been hearing this sort of report from NY beekeepers here in the South for the Winter, those in SC and those who pass through here for more southern climes.

I have also heard that Mann Lake, Wilkes Barre, PA is selling a lot of packages to NY beekeepers. I haven't heard what Betterbee or Wixson Honey Co have done yet. But it would be interesting to know the numbers, the details of how many packages or nucs were sold to NY beekeepers this Spring.

Thanks for your replies, NY beekeepers.
    Mark Berninghausen

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: NY State Winterlosses

Hi Mark

We have had a lot of reports of severe losses up here in the Finger Lakes. I manage two yards. The ones had my house were completely wiped out. The other yard is over by Trumansburg and lost only one hive out of 7. And that one was marked "probably queenless." I should have folded it then, and the yard would have zero winter loss ; )

It appears that location was very important this year, although I can't say what that really means. The bees at my house were very sheltered and the others were quite exposed. The sheltered bees croaked and the others looked really good in April. Not super strong, but alive and very little evidence of dead bees.

So, overall, a 50% loss?
    Mark Berninghausen

I'm in northern Rensselaer County with three new hives (2013 cut-outs) of formerly feral/ unmanaged swarm-bees. Quite surprisingly given my inexperience and the early, fierce, and endless winter, I had no losses.

Many local beekepeers I have spoken with had substantial losses.

You could post on the SABA Google group to enquire there.

Enj.

My winter loses were 20% from starve outs and I feel fortunate.
    I am not pre-selling honey this year as I normally do and have concentrated
    on building back up and making weak winter survivor hives stronger.
    Late winter seems to have been the killer, and then early spring was a nightmare
    for those that made it.

Just Friday night I heard Long Island loses of 50% and 90% from experienced sideliners.
    Two smaller honey producers are hesitant to say if they think they will have a crop
    because of all the rebuilding they need to do.
    Backyarders were hit hard too, but did not hear numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post

You could post on the SABA Google group to enquire there.

Enj.
    How do I do that?
    Mark Berninghausen

The NY Bee Wellness Spring survey closes May 6, but reports from non-migratory beekeepers in 41 counties, report an average 48% loss-- top 2 reported reasons: cold, starvation.

The final results will be posted on NYBeeWellness.org at the end of May

Survey: at NYhoneybeehealth.org
    NY Bee Wellness - recognizing and diagnosing honeybee disease is important to maintaining healthy bee hives

Climate change is a terrible thing.

Mark,

Re SABA Google group: I am even more clueless about computers than about bees so I'm afraid I can't help you figure how to start a thread there. (I only read and reply to existing threads for this reason.) You could try the website and see it that helps. Maybe another SABA member will see this and be able to help.

Enj.

I lost 4 of 16....so 25%...Not to shabby for my first winter and considering what other more experienced beeks have lost. I am hearing reports of 50% and greater. Two of my losses were too small going into winter...in the future hives that small will be combined. The other 2 starved....I foolishly filled a frame feeder with sugar instead of mountain capping it. Note to self and others this DOES NOT work, and the bees could not get to the sugar during the long cold spell we had. I ran into a fellow beek last week whom lost 19 out of 20! My mentor has lost 12 of 50, so he is about 25% as well.

My NY bees are in Eastern Clinton County. Counting both dead and weak as winter losses, I've lost a bit more than 10% of my production colonies and about 20% of the nucs.

Mark,

I'm in Ohio, but last month at our Association Meeting went around the room and everyone reported their losses. Many were significant, as you are seeing in NY.

One detail that really caught my attention was that almost everyone who purchased package bees last year, which were not requeened, had 100% losses.

I'm not trying to bash the package industry, just passing along information that you may want to question your NY beekeepers about when they report their losses, to see if there may be a common thread.
    To everything there is a season....

Mark, you can get to the SABA* Google Group here:

http://adirondackbees.org/?page_id=407
    BUT, you need to be a paying member.

* SABA = Southern Adirondack Beekeepers Association
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I don't know about NY alone, but for the New England area my package sales are down for the year. I ended up canceling 30% of my order. I don't know if that equates to better winter survival for some, or if it is related to depression from higher losses.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Bee Wellness View Post
    The NY Bee Wellness Spring survey closes May 6, but reports from non-migratory beekeepers in 41 counties, report an average 48% loss-- top 2 reported reasons: cold, starvation.

The final results will be posted on NYBeeWellness.org at the end of May

Survey: at NYhoneybeehealth.org
    Thanks Pat. Just the sort of thing I was looking for. I should have thought to ask you first.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    I don't know about NY alone, but for the New England area my package sales are down for the year. I ended up canceling 30% of my order. I don't know if that equates to better winter survival for some, or if it is related to depression from higher losses.
    Or competition from other suppliers?
    Mark Berninghausen

Demand for nucs for me was way up. I think it has to do with folks sick of their packages dying or from bad queens in packages and not being able to find replacements in time to save their 100 dollar investment.

Amen NYBlues. I think you've got it right.

Michael, I love the videos on youtube, I really appreciate you allowing them to be put up their so others can glean some knowledge from you, I know I have had a couple of wow, that really makes sense moments while watching your videos.

beek I was just talking to lost 2 of 2 new hives.
    non treatment friend lost 100 out of 120. just picked up 100 nucs from Mann Lake yesterday.
    beek down the street lost 9 out of 10 new hives last year. he picked up 60 packages from Mann Lake for the mid york bee club.
    beek that sells overwintered nucs reported he lost 40%, won't say how many full size hives.
    friend has 24 out of 74 left, all starved.
    now south of here around BIngamton the hives that had a fall flow from knot weed, beek only had 30 % losses and bees look good.
    beek in town reported 3 left out of 100, and 2 are on life support.
    I lost 39 out of 90, all to starvation and I feed from sept until to cold, and left on close to 1500 lb of honey supers, so the hives were heavy, so the next time a beek tells me that bees use up more honey when the winter is warm, I'm going to do bad things to there nose.
    I have had feeders out since we got a few warm days, and moved around any honey that was left in hives and they are either all going to make it or all die.
    most new beeks that fed there hives and didn't pull honey, had there hives survive.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast