Drone comb = Honey comb

Default Drone comb = Honey comb

When you allow the bees to build comb in foundationless frames you'll find that they build mainly worker size comb in the brood nest and mainly drone size comb outside the brood nest where it's used for honey storage for the majority of the year. This is especially noticeable in a horizontal hive with an entrance at one end.

In a wild hive this boundary between the brood nest and honey storage comb is reached about the time the hive would start raising drones.

I find it interesting that beekeeping with it's use of foundation has not promoted using worker size foundation only in the brood nest and drone size comb only for honey supers.

Doing this would also act like a queen excluder as the quuen would only lay a certain amount of drone in the box directly above the brood nest. Above that would be only honey.

Also, pollen is less likely to be stored in drone size cells.

Comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Drone comb = Honey comb

I think that plan would work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MattDavey View Post

Doing this would also act like a queen excluder as the quuen would only lay a certain amount of drone in the box directly above the brood nest. Above that would be only honey.
    It will NOT act like a queen ecxluder because the comb will be drone brood. The queen will instantly bomb out the drone comb above 20-30% drone.

In feral hives i've seen honey storage in all sizes of comb, not all honey was in drone or large cells, but you are right drone comb will only have drones and honey. I think for many years now, it has been burned into the beekeepers brain that drones are bad and we should discourage.

If that is your goal, it works better to use 7/11 in the supers. It's more like honey storage cells. It's smaller than a drone cell and larger than a worker cell and the queen does not like to lay in it. Walter T. Kelley still sells it I think.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF