To bee or to pack honey

Default To bee or to pack honey

I am trying to sell the honey packing part of my business, I realized that I cant do it justice while running bees and raising a family. Anyone else out there have experience with running a small commercial operation and trying to pack and market all of their own honey?
    Last edited by Barry; 03-19-2014 at 09:47 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: To bee or to pack honey

My thoughts is that it is more profitable marketing than producing

The direction to go will depend on what other sources of income you get from your bee business. If it is predominately honey production and sales then you will most likely will make more money being a honey packer. For me I rely heavily on pollination income as well as honey production. If you have a strong source of income from another part of your business (pollination, nucs, queen raising) than you may want to consider fazing out the honey packing part and sell all your honey wholesale to other packers.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyhoney View Post
    I am trying to sell the honey packing part of my business, I realized that I cant do it justice while running bees and raising a family. Anyone else out there have experience with running a small commercial operation and trying to pack and market all of their own honey?
    It sure is tough. Of course the only child we have left in public schools is our daughter. Both boys are now in college and help out with both aspects. So I run the bees (after my regular job), and my wife packs and markets all the honey (full time). Its been tough with us, but seems to be working fine and my wife would rather work the honey packing than deal with having a boss outside the house. Yes I said it. I couldn't do it without her though. On occasion we hire extra help.

Cool Re: To bee or to pack honey

As a producer/wholesaler it was so much easier, then trying to retail a % of production. To many irons in the fire, and hiring employees is a waste of time and money. No one runs your business better then you do, other then your wife.

Anyone else out there have experience with running a small commercial operation and trying to pack and market all of their own honey?

Yes. Questions?

Crazy Roland

Yes. What's wrong with hiring an employee to help you?

Nothing wrong with hiring employees except as Ron pointed out nobody cares about your business like you do. So the challenge is finding an employee you don't have to babysit the whole time.