All is Lost.......... - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: All is Lost..........

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    all this arguing and the OP hasn't logged in since he asked the question
    Interesting.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I live in upstate NY and the weather has been as you know down right cold. I had no signs of life from any of my 8 hives I went into winter with. I'm not going to rule anything out just yet. If my hives fail I want to check them for Nosema ceranae.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseltrac View Post
    I'm not going to rule anything out just yet. If my hives fail I want to check them for Nosema ceranae.
    Did you test for mites last fall?
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Randy at http://scientificbeekeeping.com/ does an interesting explanation of the possible effect of Nosema on a colony. It fits well with what I see in early spring faltering hives and would also fit well with losses of hives in spring when bees are attempting to build up.

I general he looks at a colony as an entire organism itself. Basically not a collection of tiny insects but as a single animal that grows to approx 12 lbs. He then selected another animal that has had it's growth studied that is comparable weight. what he came up with was the broiler chicken that is grown from hatching to about 7 lbs in 6 weeks.

in just the weight of chicken versus weight of bees the bees blow the chicken away. He then goes on to explain that this weight to weight measurement may still be way off indicating the the bees in fact make a chicken look like it knows nothing about how to grow. basically in the same time a chicken can grow to be 7 lbs a honey bee colony can grow to be around 50 to 60 lbs. Not only that but it will do so while expended vast amount of energy working to find the food for that growth in the first place.

Now whether your agree with this assessment or not there is no denying that bees can and will grow at a tremendous rate. and disruption of the process of nutrition would be devastating to such growth. And disruption of processing nutrients is exactly what Nosema does.

I thik it is a valuable idea to keep in mind when I find that hive that is just not keeping up. Disruption to that need for nutrients becomes far more serious if I think about it.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

I did not test for mites.

I did not test for mites.
    I'd add it to my list.

So, basically, all of you are saying that there is more than one way to keep bees? There is more to keeping bees than people ever imagined? A beekeeper should know what's happening with his/her bees? Are you all saying that it's beneficial to learn the ins and outs of the pests and diseases just as we do with the bees themselves? I have to apply what I read, observe, and learn to keeping bees? You mean there is real work involved?

All of you are hitting the nail on the head. It's frustrating when I see folks trying to put everything in life inside a box. Then, they expect those things to act within the parameter of the box, which they created. It's madness. Beekeeping is no different.
    All you have to do is be observant, and know what you need to be observant for. If one cannot do this, then it will be to their demise. In a sense, natural selection doesn't just apply to the bees, but it also applies to Beekeepers who fail to observe and act on what they find. There are MANY ways to act. Stop putting beekeeping in a box (lol...no pun intended!).
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

I live in upstate NY and the weather has been as you know down right cold. I had no signs of life from any of my 8 hives I went into winter with. I'm not going to rule anything out just yet. If my hives fail I want to check them for Nosema ceranae.
    I, too, live in upstate NY....I will admit to babying my bees; this is my first winter. I started with 2 packages from TX, and one local. We harvested around 180 lbs. of honey last year, and the thought of "maybe" losing the hives was not acceptable without doing all I could. So I treated (a little late) made up a sugar board with a small pollen patty buried in it. Wrapped in black roofing paper, then when the below temps were predicted strapped foam board around 3 sides. So far they are still alive and eating the sugar. One hive had excess moisture and saw that we had wrapped too high and the hive was not ventilating properly, so we cut some of the paper away from near the outer cover and that seemed to help. Now a retired NYS bee inspector, Joe Hewitt, told me in March he would put a piece of bubble wrap (or something similar) on top of the bars, just in the middle of them, not completely side to side, for warmth to help control the fluctuating temps of March. I guess this seems excessive, but if has worked so far.

I was monitoring varroa with SBB. Still have to work on my timing. Also, I did not use any QE, hence the ton of honey and a good flow for us last year. I actually HAD to harvest honey!

I am entering my fifth year of beekeeping and I have come across allot of different things that that all us beekeepers come up against. From 300 plus Ib black bears to little mites that appear as tiny specs of a reddish brown on the side of a bee. An then there was that second swarm I caught was all excited to get them going so I feed it with a division feeder only to check on them about 10 days later to see the wax moth had taken out 4 frames of comb. That same hive was taken out by a bear shortly after. So I had since made investments in fencing and so far I have been able to deter the bear. I had two hives coming out of Winter last year, I split one to build a nuc and wanted one as a honey production hive but did rob a few frames of drawn comb to help out some packages I started. Both of my over wintered hives swarmed, this was my fault for not completely going through the entire hive and catching Queen cells. Last years build up was super fast for me but on the bright side I caught two of the swarms. The nuc I put together swarmed as well. Swarmy year? Being it was my fourth year I look back and see allot of mistakes I have made.

Two packages on the way with Russian queens this spring.

Oh yeah I am trying to be TF but have feed global patties in the spring.

here is a link to the head bee inspector in Main about how to diagnose a dead out.

http://mainebeekeepers.org/informati...aster-strikes/
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Good link. Should be a sticky.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I am entering my fifth year of beekeeping and I have come across allot of different things that that all us beekeepers come up against. From 300 plus Ib black bears to little mites that appear as tiny specs of a reddish brown on the side of a bee. An then there was that second swarm I caught was all excited to get them going so I feed it with a division feeder only to check on them about 10 days later to see the wax moth had taken out 4 frames of comb. That same hive was taken out by a bear shortly after. So I had since made investments in fencing and so far I have been able to deter the bear. I had two hives coming out of Winter last year, I split one to build a nuc and wanted one as a honey production hive but did rob a few frames of drawn comb to help out some packages I started. Both of my over wintered hives swarmed, this was my fault for not completely going through the entire hive and catching Queen cells. Last years build up was super fast for me but on the bright side I caught two of the swarms. The nuc I put together swarmed as well. Swarmy year? Being it was my fourth year I look back and see allot of mistakes I have made.

Two packages on the way with Russian queens this spring.
    Well, we'll see about those bears; I don't really think the fence I have will keep them out if they really want to get in, I am hoping they don't come down to us and keep themselves up on the mountain…I have 3 pckgs. coming, and two Buckfast queens from Canada. I am sure I will make a ton of mistakes, but hopefully nothing too drastic; but you never know with the bees!

here is a link to the head bee inspector in Main about how to diagnose a dead out.

Great link, thanks.

Yes Thank you for the link.

Today hit 53 degrees I think or around that. Confirmed my fears all my hives lost. I need to take pics to display the damage.

Today hit 53 degrees I think or around that. Confirmed my fears all my hives lost. I need to take pics to display the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I've been included in the 'old timers set in their ways' crowd.
    In the end I evangelize. Test your bees for mites using an objective method. That's my sermon. I decline to sit idly by when I see posts that I believe are misleading to newcomers.
    And then what? What is the next part of your sermon?

How do you teach moving toward tf to those who want to explore tf?

Mike (UK)
    The race isn't always to the swift, nor the fight to the strong, but that's the way to bet

Quote Originally Posted by DMLinton View Post
    I grew up a farm boy and I can tell you very clearly what happens if one tries to keep livestock without an effective health management strategy in place. Health management means neither constant medicating nor constant failure to medicate when advisable - it means health management.
    DM what part does selective propagation play in your health management of animals?

Mike (UK)
    Last edited by mike bispham; 03-20-2014 at 02:21 AM.
    The race isn't always to the swift, nor the fight to the strong, but that's the way to bet

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast