Reusing old wired wax foundation

Question Reusing old wired wax foundation

Any issues with fragility using honey super frames with old wired wax foundation? It should be from ~1996.

I know the previous owner/hive's history. Just wondering if the foundation will be strong enough to use as a honey super and in an extractor.
    2013, 7 hives, T

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Reusing old wired wax foundation

It's bound to be somewhat brittle. I'd use new foundation myself.

It's also probably cleaner than the present foundation. Not so many mite treatments in use...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Be gentle installing it in frames on warm days and it is a good thing to have. I have over 25 pounds of foundation I purchase probably in 1983 I am using up quite successfully.

Thumbs Up Re: Reusing old wired wax foundation

Surprisingly, I just checked the foundation which was surprisingly supple. (That said, TX, I have shallows from another source with brittle foundation - those sheets are going in the trash!) These hives were treatment-free, so even if it's like today's foundation, there's no additional contamination. Hopefully I can afford to cycle out foundation after a few years. I'll use the frames with old foundation for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I have over 25 pounds of foundation I purchase probably in 1983 I am using up quite successfully.
    Nice stash of clean foundation, Vance. Color me jealous! Hopefully I'll get there eventually.
    2013, 7 hives, T