Hard Sugar - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Sugar

Default Re: Hard Sugar

>Got any steam?

That would be ideal to insure not burning it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

On a very small scale if brown sugar in a bag goes hard as a rock if you close in a piece of fresh bread ( high moisture content) and seal the bag the entire bag of sugar is soft in a day or so. If you the same principle with something other than bread perhaps you would end up with soft bags of sugar.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I hope real- real cheap.

Sweet Challenge!

First, if it is available at a good price and you can use it, secure the buy at once.

My approach-

If it is one chunk or similar I would be setting up 4 or so 55 gal drums close to your water source, together with your hive weighing scale and a 5 gal bucket.
    I would also have gone to Home depot and got their submersible trash pump, together with a hook and lanyard, and a discharge hose kit- at least 6 or so feet.

Fill the 5 gal bucket with a measurable amount, fill the 55 gal drum about half full and figure your sugar ratio and how many buckets you will need.
    dump the required number of buckets, and start filling the next drum.
    Place the trash pump with attached discharge hose into the drum and halfway submerged in water. secure to side with hook and lanyard.
    Direct the hose to bottom of drum and turn on pump.
    What will happen if you don't waste time is that the pump will recycle the sugar through till mixed.
    On to the next one when mixture gets mixed.

If it is one chunk, move your air compressor nearby and , while at Home Depot, grab an air hammer and the widest air chisel bit (2") or so and have at it, and fill the bucket as fast as you can.

Hundred pound bags or so, I would cut the tops off, and slit the side, top to bottom while sitting in my wheel barrow.
    Use the pump to fill manageable containers for your storage use as desired.

Quote Originally Posted by CMCDennisS View Post
    Sweet Challenge!

First, if it is available at a good price and you can use it, secure the buy at once.
    I agree. Where there is a will, there is a way.

That kind of thinking gets me into trouble at times... at least until I accomplish the goal. Then the nay sayers all start back peddling.

Typically, Just about the time you are done breaking it all up, you'll have figured out the most efficient way to do it.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

If they are really hard to break apart, maybe you could drill some holes, shove plastic bags/sheeting or melt wax into the holes so they are waterproof. Fill the holes with water (maybe use a ratchet strap to hold a hard plug of some kind against the hole), and see if there is anywhere nearby that is cold enough for the water to freeze and expand.

I think you won't have much trouble finding a place that is cold enough

deknow

edit: Perhaps some hot water poured slowly (or a cold water drip) would make the holes easier than drilling them?
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

As fun as heavy machinery would be, going to change my vote to go with WBVC. Add water slowly and wait till it reaches the slushy stage and just use a shovel.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

If you are going to liquify it then just make syrup. All you need are 275 gallons of hot water to turn it into 1:1... Seriously

Put the sugar on your trailer on a large piece of butyl or pond liner. Build a containment wall around it out of scrap material = 12 or 18 inches is tall enough.

Get a bilge pump, put a paint strainer bag over it and attach a bit of hose.

I've got easy access to my 40 gallon hot water heater (don't know for you but the whole operation would be under weight limits for a tandem axle trailer), hook up to the hot water heater and hose down the block of sugar until incoming water starts to cool down or you are reaching the limit on the containment wall. Stir a bit with an oar or paddle.

Double check the ratio, pump a gallon into a milk jug and check - 1:1 weighs 10.3/gallon = I suspect it'll be heavier than that but I can't imagine it hitting 2:1 (If it's better than 1:1 It really doesn't matter)

Drop in the bilge pump and begin filling your syrup containers. Repeat. At 1:1 this will fill nearly (8) 55 gallon drums.

I bet Rubbermaid has a water trough big enough to handle it. With an 1 1/2" drain already built in. Elevate the whole thing and let gravity be your friend.
    Lauri Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Too much work, jackhammer!
    Numatic chisel? Like sculptures use?
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    If they are really hard to break apart, maybe you could drill some holes, shove plastic bags/sheeting or melt wax into the holes so they are waterproof. Fill the holes with water (maybe use a ratchet strap to hold a hard plug of some kind against the hole), and see if there is anywhere nearby that is cold enough for the water to freeze and expand.

I think you won't have much trouble finding a place that is cold enough

deknow

edit: Perhaps some hot water poured slowly (or a cold water drip) would make the holes easier than drilling them?
    I thought u were going to suggest TNT. My wife doesn't play w/ explosives anymore or I would send her over to VT to help.
    Mark Berninghausen

Rent an electric chipping hammer. When I owned Car Washes I did this often to repair brickwork, install post, dispensers and such. The Milwaukee brand is very powerful and around here comes with several bits and blades.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rent...w=1465&bih=796
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

One of those cheap hammer drills from Harbor Freight should be able to break it up into chunks big enough to handle pretty easy.

IF you can unload it near a large yard, why not use it as a huge "moutain camp" feeder? Cover it to keep rain out but add water as needed (daily?) to keep it slightly moist and let the bees carry it away, kind of like a giant salt block for cattle. One hive can go through 5 pounds of dry sugar pretty quick sitting on top of a hive.
    20 hives, 10 years, T and TF, All local stock

If it is dry and hard and out of the hive, I don't think you will get any takers. If it was wet the bees would take it. Just take an axe and make chunks that will fit in a metal container, add water and heat til liquefied.

Go to a quarry, drill and balst.

How small of pieces do you want?

Make sure you post on youtube.

Tom

NI3 Baby!
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Nitrogen-Triiodide/

I'll leave the details to the user...but yes, please post the video (if the camera survives...at least the memory card).

deknow (expecting Homeland Security to knock on the hotel room door any second)
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

I just want to know who gets the prize for the best idea?
    Lauri Miller.

What material is the bag made of? Paper or a woven plastic like polypropylene?

Crazy Roland

Woven plastic. It's the same sort of Ag Bag that bulk fertilizer is transported in.
    Mark Berninghausen

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast