Nuc Hive Body

Thread: Nuc Hive Body

Default Nuc Hive Body

Here are some pics of my 5 frame nuc bodies?
    My question is that if I can make deep hive bodies with this type of wood. I don't know what the style is called but it is a bunch of grooved small cedar pieces glued together to make larger boards.
    IMG_20140301_195153_zpscb8a990d.jpg
    IMG_20140301_195208_zps99d8fcd9.jpg
    IMG_20140301_195251_zps8b5890fb.jpg
    IMG_20140301_195251_zps8b5890fb.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Nuc Hive Body

Not a thing wrong with jointing pieces of wood together to make large boards. you can buy them already made if you wanted to. The biggest concern will be quality of glue you used to join them together. I would also opt for a finger joint to do it.

Do to the term finger joint being used on this forum I will offer this to help clear things up. this is a link to a finger joint.
    http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5842-fin...6025_a_7c45796

It is pretty common for finger joint and Box joint to be used for what those here are making box joints with. But this is a true finger joint and is used to join boards edge to edge. There are other ways to get it done and it is a common method to get more use out of otherwise scrap wood.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Did you use shiplap, tongue and groove, or butt joints to join the boards?

Also the shiplap joint works well,& you can make it with just a table saw,I'd also use a good glue.

I bought the boards premanufactured and primed. For making the box, I used shiplap. So are these boards comparable to solid wood. I get the 1x12's for 60 cents a foot. TIA

Don't see why they won't work. The price is good to.

I made some screened bottom boards (which I have yet to use) out of similar wood -- basically finger- joined and glued cedar strip. I think in my area it was intended to be used as molding or similar uses and painted really well -- although it has been my experience that cedar doesn't take paint really well.

Some of the longer left over scraps I used to hold up plants in my garden and they did not hold up well to rain and weather. Therefore, I am skeptical about how they will hold up as bottom boards. I am going to try it but I'm guessing that I will probably be replacing them.

Painting wasn't a problem because they were pre-primed. And hopefully it does well as a deep box or super when I paint it well

Quote Originally Posted by pannu96 View Post
    I bought the boards premanufactured and primed. For making the box, I used shiplap. So are these boards comparable to solid wood. I get the 1x12's for 60 cents a foot. TIA
    Comparing to "Solid Wood" is a bit of a range. You have everything from the near garbage pine boards to finish or furniture grade boards. SO it is not as easy as a yes or no question. but say that board not hardly worth selling at all is one end of the scale and finish grade boards are the other end. You can actually take lower grade wood and make higher grade boards out of them. So in all I will say you stand to improve the grade of the boards you have. Assuming you use a quality glue for exterior use and get good fitting joints. Yeah it just keeps gettign more and more if's to it. It will also make the boards paint grade rather than stain grade. Not something you woudl normally be concerned about unless you are making a yard art type of hive.

In all I woudl say you will improve the wood you have though. It would not be done more often because of all the extra time and effort involved.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)