Hobby Beekeeping increasing in popularity
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hobby Beekeeping increasing in popularity

I just signed up for a beekeeping class at our local D & B farm supply. They are now carrying beekeeping supplies and offering nucs and packages (expensive). I was shocked to find out over 60 people had signed up for the class in our little town.
    "...fascists divide themselves into two categories: fascists and antifascists" Ennio Flaiano

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hobby Beekeeping increasing in popularity

Quote Originally Posted by RiodeLobo View Post
    I just signed up for a beekeeping class at our local D & B farm supply. They are now carrying beekeeping supplies and offering nucs and packages (expensive). I was shocked to find out over 60 people had signed up for the class in our little town.
    Are you saying there beekeeping supplies in general are expensive....Or, are you referring to the Nucs and Packages? If the later, can you put a number on "expensive"?

I think it is actually cool that more people are getting interested in beekeeping.

What is the class about?

Both. However if they have in store delivery for free it would make up for a lot of the difference, particularly on the small orders. I will say that what ever paint they use on the hive bodies looks tough. It looks like some sort of plasticized treatment. They are all the Mellivo trademark, from the Beehive State, Inc. corporation.

10 frame deep (assembled and painted) 29.99
    10 frame medium (assembled and painted) 24.99
    Migratory top cover 29.99
    Hooded Jacket 109.99
    Queen 49.99
    Package 3lb Italian 109.99
    Nuc 4 frame Italian 139.99
    "...fascists divide themselves into two categories: fascists and antifascists" Ennio Flaiano

Quote Originally Posted by merince View Post
    I think it is actually cool that more people are getting interested in beekeeping.

What is the class about?
    Me to, I am glad to see it gaining in popularity. I am mainly going to meet other beekeepers in the area, as it will be a basic class. However I am always up to learn.

The classes will cover topics like:

The Hive and the Honeybee - Basic Biology
    Beekeeping Equipment Basics - Hives, Tools
    The Beekeeper's Calendar - Year at a Glance

Both. However if they have in store delivery for free it would make up for a lot of the difference, particularly on the small orders. I will say that what ever paint they use on the hive bodies looks tough. It looks like some sort of plasticized treatment. They are all the Mellivo trademark, from the Beehive State, Inc. corporation.

10 frame deep (assembled and painted) 29.99
    10 frame medium (assembled and painted) 24.99
    Migratory top cover 29.99
    Hooded Jacket 109.99
    Queen 49.99
    I'd agree...that seems expensive!

I do agree with you about the popularity growing. I belong to a couple of bee clubs, one being a very small local club...We probably average 12 or so members at our monthly meetings. This past Tuesday, we had 23 people at our January meeting.

Thanks, RiodeLobo!

I was wondering if it was perhaps a queen rearing class since it seems from your signature that you've had bees for a while. Meeting other beekeepers makes sense.

I'm certainly one of the new guys to the beekeeping scene. I attended a bee class at a community college where one of the professors is a 3rd generation beek. I was suprised to find about 45 people at the meeting. I didn't really come away with any new information, but it was nice to confirm that all of my reading was on point. He also had catalogs from Mann Lake, Dadant, and Brushy Mountain for the attendees.

It is interesting that so many new people are getting into this as a hobby. I'm not at all sure why I decided to keep bees, but i find them fascinating. I think part of the fun of them is making all of the gear. So far, the only real "gain" from keeping them has been through our local crop share. We used to buy a crop share for the family, but they want to trade pollination for a crop share. Everybody wins

The prices are a bit high, although painting boxes can be a pain. Maybe they include frames too. I make deeps for about $4-5 total, of course, I do the labor and have tools.

Queen price is outrageous. The hooded jacket might be fair depending on style/grade.

I would get the nuc, that price is fair if its fully drawn and good brood/population. Not too bad on package either, we pay $85 total.

Really helps any beekeeper if you can build your own langstroth hives, nucs, tops and bottom boards.

I still buy the frames but thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    The prices are a bit high, although painting boxes can be a pain.
    Even if they did include the frames, I did not like them. The frames were built with all butt joints, and did not look sturdy to me.

Not into equipment so no comment there. I can tell you that if you think the pricing on the bees and packages is out of line for onesees and twosees you might want to check around. Right now they are dead on target for a reseller on the west coast. Maybe a skim low. When push come to shove in April the price will be more along the line of 120 and up if you can get you paws on any. Sign up now and pray that your order doesn't get cancelled. If the rain fails to show up in flood type amounts in the next few weeks the rate of Queens out of California for those packages is going to be hindered. If you order 400 packages sold I will show up with up to 600 @ $90.00. $80 in Sacramento if you pick them up. That's if there's any queens in the nucs when shaking time shows up.

I think getting into beekeeping has soared in popularity. STAYING in beekeeping, is a whole different thing. There is always a fresh crop of new beekeepers who are really excited at first. Most of them get their packages, and many of them will loose the hive the first winter. Some of them will get more bees, some of them won't. By the third year, many of those eager newbees aren't in it anymore. Many of them have a hive just have one. The proudly claim to be bee-havers and not beekeepers.

I just spent $741 this mornign for 12 deep 10 frame bodies. 45 10 frame mediums and 18 5 frame deep nuc bodies. So what is that abotu 75 boxes total or on average abou $10 each. I can't but the materials and make them any cheaper. I kwow I just priced that also. I did buy the materials to make 850 frames to fill these and a few other boxes. I have some queen castles I made late last sumemr that also need frames. and those materials cost $550. I am nto sure what I could have just bought the frames for but I am guessing somewhere in the $600 range. so not a mountain of saving there even. And when you consider all teh work to make frames $50 is not really worth it.

Now for $10 a box I still have to assemble and paint them. As for the packages and nucs. those prices look to me to be right in the ball park with what I have been seeing lately. 2 years ago I was getting a 5 frame nuc for $100. Now I am seeing people mention prices of $150 or more. Packages I think $100 to start. The more it becomes popular the higher those prices will climb. Sad thing is it is most likely a fad thing and will fade as quickly as it pops up.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Not sure how but the guy selling those boxes got a patent cause they "toughen" up the boxes. If you look at the claims on the patent they are pretty specious at best. Looks like the PTO is looking for easy money. Currently working on a similar project myself using a "similar" type coating for use in "long term" identification. Pretty hard for a five finger discounter to get past microdots and the other "functions" this coating will perform.

Those prices are better than our local shops. I could not make a hooded jacket for that price. If I put together a deep and painted it it would take a fair bit of time....even more if I had to cut the pieces far less purchase the wood
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

On another thread recently the price of lumber in the Northwest came up, and I was surprised to learn that it is extremely high compared to prices locally here in the East.
    Your woodenware prices might not be too far out of line, all things considered. It looks like you will either pay the premium in freight, or higher local lumber prices.
    To everything there is a season....

Well we had to have 2 classes as there were more people than the room could accommodate. 87 in all.
    There was a discussion after the class on starting a Beekeeping club. The manager of the D and B store was supportive of hosting a club. The question is what would you suggest we think of if we start a club. We have a couple of enthusiastic newbs, me included, and a potential meeting place.
    Thanks,
    Dan Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Reynolds View Post
    Really helps any beekeeper if you can build your own langstroth hives, nucs, tops and bottom boards.

I still buy the frames but thats it.
    Where do you get your wood? I am just wondering if you get it from a sawmill in the area around Jackson Cty.

The closest Beekeeping class to me in Tallahassee, Fl. seems to max out every year, or has been for several years now. It is true, many who attend will not stick with it. But it is good to see so many people have an interest and are willing to expand their knowledge about honeybees, whether they keep bees or not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast