Hive check (post them here) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Hive check (post them here)

8 of 8 still alive and well, my 2 nucs are feeding on sugar due to going into winter light on stores.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A, Never look down on anybody unless you are helping them up

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I just checked my 4 hives, I lost 1 as of today. Not sure what happened yet.

All 17 still doing well. Decent size clusters. Some getting light.

Lost 1 of 2

All 11 still alive. Two have plenty of food and few bees. One has plenty of bees and is getting light on food.

2 more died out. One starved even though they still had twenty pounds of honey. The other froze? They had over 80 pounds of honey left.

I checked mine this weekend and both OK 2 for 2, I have a large hive and a split that was light on bees going in. Both our light in weight and I've been feeding them sugar bricks.
    I had this problem last year at this time, plenty of bees at Christmas time and then in January gone so I know what your going though if you've lost yours on a smaller scale than some of you. I'm praying to get to February.

Here north of SF (where it will be in the 70's this week!) I've lost one out of 9, with one other that's barely hanging on. The others are doing well in our nonexistent winter, building honey stores and I even saw drone brood in one hive this weekend.

2 of 2 still alive…one light on stores getting sugar bricks and the other plenty of stores and not touching the sugar bricks as of yesterday…it's been very cold and wet so far this winter in East TN. Lots of activity in both hives Sunday with temps in the mid 50's after several days of 0 to 10 degree weather...
    4th year - 8 hives

Yes 1 out of 1 still alive. Still got a good bit of winter to go though.
    Old enough to know better, still too young to care
    Camden, OH My home page: http://christ77.tripod.com/

2 hives both alive after some -15f plus wind chill days.
    Still capped honey but put several pounds of hme made fondant.

5 of 6 big hives ok. 4 of 4 dbl nucs ok. Some of the big hives getting light. Lost the one hive to mites in November.

I don't normally check this early but had to see if any tops had blown off due to high winds.

I checked about 65 of mine, 20 are not accessible at this time, one dead, one top was off, one has a mouse in it, that will have to find another way out, most hives are lighter than normal for this time of year.

I checked 75 hives of a friend of mine, none dead, three tops were off, I put sugar on 10% of his hives as they were too light.

none of the above is of much value as we have a long way to go, and I'll have to go back and check for tops again as those nice southerly winds were very strong again.

we both treated with apiguard in the spring and fall.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

14 out of 16 still going. 1 that I lost was a very late split that seemed to struggle, so no surprise there. The other was a nice 2 story that I had treated with apiguard in sept. Didn't have time to go through the hive, but certainly has me scratching my head. These are all first year hives from cut-outs and splits, fed all late summer and fall. Some were light, some were heavy, but I mountain capped everything with cane sugar. I have upper and lower entrances, 2" foam over the telescoping cover, and tarps wrapping 3 sides. Lots of winter left, and I knew I would take some losses. Still very excited for my 2nd year to start!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingstoneboy View Post
    14 out of 16 still going. 1 that I lost was a very late split that seemed to struggle, so no surprise there. The other was a nice 2 story that I had treated with apiguard in sept. Didn't have time to go through the hive, but certainly has me scratching my head. These are all first year hives from cut-outs and splits, fed all late summer and fall. Some were light, some were heavy, but I mountain capped everything with cane sugar. I have upper and lower entrances, 2" foam over the telescoping cover, and tarps wrapping 3 sides. Lots of winter left, and I knew I would take some losses. Still very excited for my 2nd year to start!
    16 hives your first year? Yikes, talk about jumping in with both feet!
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

One of my friends jumped in with 25!

32 out of 36. The four lost were small swarms/splits captured or made to prevent swarming after July. Feeding all hives, stores are very light!! Smallest stores in over 12 years.

checked yesterday and lost 1 of 5. i knew it wouldn't make it. it was a very small cluster. it was alive before the big freeze last week. i went thru it and saw lots of eggs. the cluster was too small to cover the eggs and acces their store, which there were plenty of. tried to find the queen. i think i found her, but not sure. i'm sure she would be smaller, having starved to death.

two out of four are dead. One hive was weak going into winter is dead. Swarm hive that seemed strong is dead too. Other two hives seem strong. Dead hives are full of capped honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Edymnion View Post
    16 hives your first year? Yikes, talk about jumping in with both feet!
    "Go Big or Go Home!"...Not really....only wanted 5 or so, but started helping an older gentleman do cut-outs in trade for knowledge and a few hives. Needless to say we had a very busy summer!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast