Hive check (post them here)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hive check (post them here)

Instead of cluttering up the forum with a bunch of threads about how your hives are doing lets get a single thread to post your losses until we get to spring.

I've lost 1 of 21 as of Jan 12 and have a tree trunk with a colony in it that may be dead as well. I'm pretty happy considering what I've been hearing from other local beeks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive check (post them here)

I have lost 1 of 21 as well - just froze, too small of a cluster.

2 out of 2 dead

I've lost 2 out of 3 - one of my uncle's lost 4 out of 6 and another uncle lost 5 out of 6.

Didn't open mine up but there is atleast 1 bee in each of my 2 hives that is still alive. I'm hoping that translates into two hives still alive.

opened up the other day, one hive is still in the bottom deep and the top is still completely full of untouched honey and the other hive is at the very top and empty of honey they weighed roughly the same in the fall.
    i fed dry sugar to the low one and they are all over it so i am going to have to keep feeding every other week it looks like until a flow appears.

0 out of 7 full hives, 2 out of 4 fall nucs

Checked mine yesterday. I'm feeling lucky....all 4 of mine are still alive. One was light, so I dry fed. Another had the bees up top right under the inner cover so I fed it as well. ...we got a long way to go though...

I lost 2 langs from mites, I started the two this year from packages, Starting again next year.

knock on wood, 2 for 2 in good shape. Still plenty heavy. Winter patties being added during warm stretches as a precaution.

Opened up my one hive to add sugar blocks (Lauri's recipe). Had -17.5 temps a couple weeks ago, low forties today. I thought I would just get in, pop the sugar blocks on, peek at fondant board underside, get out. Bees had other plans... I went in, saw bees at the top bars in a clump, saw bees coming at me, heard a slight roar, dropped sugar blocks on the top bars, tried to get inner cover back on, angry bees dinging my veil, inner cover wouldn't go back on right because the sugar blocks were too high even with the shim, repositioned the sugar in a cloud of angry bees and got everything zipped up tight again. Bees were hanging out at both top and bottom entrances after everything back together. Caused some excitement I guess. I had figured too cold for smoke and cold enough so they wouldn't be active. Wrong!!! Had to flick bees off my hands, my veil, my sweatshirt, and had bee poop on me. Guess they are still kicking, but I didn't get a chance to evaluate remaining stores, which I really wanted to do since in hefting the back a few days ago they felt light.

ALL of my surviving hives are still alive, NONE of them were lost.

So far all hives 20 signs of bees...some all over the top of the upper deep, others just a hum in the far corner of the bottom deep. The next 3 months should be telling as to which take off and which succumb .
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

48 degrees they were out 1 dead 5 alive knock on wood!!!!

1 out of 1 still alive and well. Hopefully it stays that way!
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

I lost 4 out of six. All treated for mites. All had good stores. I hope the remaining 2 survive

l left out of 3

Quote Originally Posted by Daphnecybele View Post
    Opened up my one hive to add sugar blocks (Lauri's recipe). Had -17.5 temps a couple weeks ago, low forties today. I thought I would just get in, pop the sugar blocks on, peek at fondant board underside, get out. Bees had other plans... I went in, saw bees at the top bars in a clump, saw bees coming at me, heard a slight roar, dropped sugar blocks on the top bars, tried to get inner cover back on, angry bees dinging my veil, inner cover wouldn't go back on right because the sugar blocks were too high even with the shim, repositioned the sugar in a cloud of angry bees and got everything zipped up tight again. Bees were hanging out at both top and bottom entrances after everything back together. Caused some excitement I guess. I had figured too cold for smoke and cold enough so they wouldn't be active. Wrong!!! Had to flick bees off my hands, my veil, my sweatshirt, and had bee poop on me. Guess they are still kicking, but I didn't get a chance to evaluate remaining stores, which I really wanted to do since in hefting the back a few days ago they felt light.
    A video sure would have been nice to have !!!

Well here in beautiful Wilkes Co. NC we had our coldest temps on record in many years, however glad to report 9 out of 9 alive for now, now 6 of these are either nucs or double nucs and actually moved them into my uninsulated garage during this time and moved them back out once it got into the 40's again, all have good stores and numbers but I also have dry sugar on top of everything for moisture control and just in case they were to need it. Unfortunately last year I lost all 10 hives after January 22 and all had good stores in them but I did have a couple that lost their queen. Good luck to all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast