Honey smells like urine - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Honey smells like urine

MB's post gave an idea -- sell it (or use it) all for brewing -- you have a head start toward the ultimate product.

I'm wondering if this post might better fit in the marketing section.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Melaleuca honey does not smell like urine, nor is it foul. When the Melaleuca flow is on down here, you can smell an overwhelming sweetness far from the hives. My neighbors (two acres away) now know when the Melaleuca flow is on. Much like goldenrod, there is a bit of 'dirty sock' scent, but it is a beautiful smell! The honey is not at all foul. The Melaleuca tree is where we get Tea Tree Oil. I highly doubt there is any Melaleuca north of Lake Okeechobee anyways.

On another note, my neighbor had a diabetic dog that would pee on their patio. She said my bees frequently visited the 'puddles' left by the dog. I figured it was due to the high sugar content in the urine...kinda gross, but true! The dog is gone now, and I am glad to know my bees no longer have those puddles to visit!

Yes, I was wondering if the bees were getting their "water" upstream or downstream. Seems it may be puddles instead of streams.

to see how far this is going to go.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    But since no one replied to my first Post about Malaluka I must be talking to the wrong crowd.

Rader didn't even throw up a link to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post

Frankly, Mark, I didn't know what you were talking about. Perhaps if you had spelled Melaleuca correctly it might have been more clear. [/COLOR]

As it was I wondered if you were misspelling M
    anuka, but since that doesn't grow in the in the northern hemisphere it was a puzzle.
    Ha you guys crack me up ! Lol

When I was a kid we had an outdoor toliet and in the summer there were always feral honeybees and wasp in there.
    The buckwheat honey I get from a friend in Ohio taste like molasses to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    By the way, it's a tree. Planted by the Army Corp of Engineers to aid in soil erosion, especially around Lake Ocachobee.
    sqkcrk.... (Just for context, I am a Florida resident, still have a home in Florida, on Lake Okeechobee, but, now days spend more time in Kentucky than Florida).

I never heard that malaleuca trees (also called paper trees), were planted by the Corps of Engineers., They are currently being destroyed. Millions of trees have been sprayed or belted to kill them. If you have them in your yard, you are supposed to destroy them. If you don't they will come and kill them for you.

On Lake Okeechobee, thousands of acres that contained malaleuca trees have been sprayed. They normally grow in shallow water or on river and canal banks. They use tremendous amounts of water.

The bloom of the malaleuca is not a pleasant odor, but, I don't think I have ever eaten malaleuca honey.

cchoganjr

A document that includes the history Melaleuca trees in Florida:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fe670
    It does mention that the first trees were planted by the Corps of Engineers in 1941 for erosion control on levees.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    The bloom of the malaleuca is not a pleasant odor, but, I don't think I have ever eaten malaleuca honey.

cchoganjr
    Next time I get over that way I will make sure you get a jar. My backyard bees bring it in. And it is being eradicated, slow but sure.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

It does mention that the first trees were planted by the Corps of Engineers in 1941 for erosion control on levees.
    Radar... I bet they won't admit it now. They have spent $Millions spraying the lake and levees around Moore Haven.

I had just never heard that before. It is a very invasive plant.

Bevy.. Looking forward to that. Should be there about 1st Feb.

cchoganjr

Some folks can smell odors that others are unable to due to their genetic makeup. For example, some folks are able to smell the asparagus oder in their urine after consuming it while others remain completely oblivious to the it. Perhaps you have the enhanced genes for odor detection : )

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    sqkcrk.... (Just for context, I am a Florida resident, still have a home in Florida, on Lake Okeechobee, but, now days spend more time in Kentucky than Florida).

I never heard that malaleuca trees (also called paper trees), were planted by the Corps of Engineers.,

cchoganjr
    Cleo,
    I'm pretty sure Johnny Mac told me that some 18 years ago when Jon and I took bees to FL from SC. I can't imagine where else I would have picked that up from.
    Mark Berninghausen

I've bought jars here from local suppliers that have had that piss twang too them too , not sure what it is but my guess would be a certain type of nectar. Hoping mine don't produce pee honey
    Bee Happy!

An odor, is an odor, is an odor. People have different sensory abilities , as well as different sensory perception. Not all noses were created equal, and Size has nothing to do with it! That is why some people are aficionados of certain things, For example wines, or brews. our discernment of different odors is in part determined by how our brain categorizes smells, the importance placed on different smells, and the detection of the smells familiarity basis. Some people can smell a faint odor of urine in something, while other can discern it to a species, say feline as opposed to undulate. While others may not be able to detect all but the strongest of odor. So because one person has never smelled a certain odor in a specific plant based produce, does not mean it is not there. Some people think Goldenrod smells like pungent old socks. others find it to be a hardy woodland environment smell, Others find it sweet. It is all in our perception of odor.

sqkcrk... As I said above, I bet the Corps wishes they had never did that. Now they are spending $millions to eradicate them.

Radar referenced a link, and, I read where the Corps did try it. There were millions of malaleuca in the shallow waters of Lake Okeechobee, and on canal and river banks. I think it was because they are so invasive, but, also, they consume huge amounts of water, so, they are killing them to conserve water. And, could it be that they are not native trees. ( I don't know that for sure.

Anyway, some people think they smell good, and apparently they make good honey. Bevy is going to give me a jar to try, so when I get it, I will tell you what I think it smells like, and how it tastes.

I have never had bees in Florida, (except for the swarm traps that I set out in my front yard, and one colony I trapped from under my storage shed. I gave them to Bevy. I am going to put out about 4 swarm traps this year and see if I get any. I would rather attract a swarm and give them to someone, than have people spray them when they move into their sheds / houses etc. I think Bevy got 2 colonies from the trapping under my shed.

cchoganjr

Anyone remember a few years ago when a guy had a gatorade bottle full of honey at the airport and they decided it was explosives because they tested it? It was just honey. I always wondered if that was the urea from the honey that set off the nitrate detector that flagged it as explosives...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Melaleuca quinquenervia is native to Australia. It is a major source of pollen and honey and flowers in autumn and winter. The pollen is particularly nutritious with a crude protein content in the 30% range and builds colony strength. The honey has a strong flavour and weak density.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12