Pure oxygen?

Thread: Pure oxygen?

Default Pure oxygen?

What if you gave a hive a continuous supply of oxygen? Serious question,not joking.

When you or I are sick the doctor puts us on oxygen,why not bees?
    I understand that it is out of the scope of an ordinary beek, but have any laboratories or universities considered the idea?

Would it help them fight disease and pests? Faster honey production? Better hatching?

Of course you may want to be careful with the smoker.....exploding bee hives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pure oxygen?

OK, I'll play.

Plenty of "sick" people do not get put on oxygen. Those that do get bottled oxygen generally have breathing or lung issues, but not every sick person fits this description. Those that get bottled oxygen do so to replace a portion of their diminished breathing capacity, but bottled oxygen isn't a benefit to a person with normally functioning lungs in "normal" atmospheric conditions.

Since many of the bees in a hive need to go outside the hive at least periodically, an airlock would seem to be impractical. Without an airlock, a lot of oxygen would escape the hive without being used.

Finally, oxygen is is not flammable or explosive. It is an oxidizer (supports combustion), but does not burn in the sense that propane or hydrogen, for example, do burn or explode.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    OK, I'll play.

Finally, oxygen is is not flammable or explosive. It is an oxidizer (supports combustion), but does not burn in the sense that propane or hydrogen, for example, do burn or explode.
    True, but things that normally are slow to ignite in normal air values can become explosive in the way they ignite in the presence of high O2 levels.
    Old Guy in Alabama

probably accelerated aging of the bees.

Studies show CO2 levels to be raise in winter clusters to very high levels. I wondered if a cooler and Co2 could be used to store them

Bees seem to do the best in winter when you leave them alone...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Bees seem to do the best in winter when you leave them alone...
    The 2014 Quote of the Year. Would somebody tag that for me?
    Mark Berninghausen

Come on Mark! You figured out "tags", you can probably manage bookmarks next.

(in some systems, bookmarks are called favorites.)
    Graham

Figured it out.
    Mark Berninghausen

some things just do not need to be fiddled with. In the case of oxygen for humans under physicians care it is a specific prescription for a specific ailment. and a regulator controls the amount of oxygen administered. oxygen May provide a temporary benefit to bees in certain circumstance. However, general use without specific goals and reasons that are backed by research is never wise. we all know that a gasoline engine supplied with nitro oxide gas will run like a turpentine cat. However, its use will severally decrease the life span of the engine even with moderate use. Logic would therefor dictate that the prolonged use of pure O2 would have a similar effect on bees. Quite frequently mans attempts to monkey with the status quo of nature turns out poorly.

Assuming we are not talking about over winter, assumine you don't care about the cost and assuming you have a supply of oxygen (it is available only by prescription for people, but you could say it's for welding I suppose) then the other issues to consider are these:

There are three triggers for ventilation. Heat >94 or so (the precise number varies by genetics and so varied genetics have a smoother shift to more and less ventilation), undesireable fumes (smoke, butyric acid, formic acid, thymol etc.) and CO2 build up. I suspect there is a fourth that has to do with humidity, but I don't know of any "science" on that one nor do I have a clear cut idea how that might work. The question is, how will adding oxygen change that feedback system? Maybe it won't, but maybe it will.

As someone has already suggested, maybe adding oxygen is the opposite of anti-oxidants... it may well shorten the lives of bees and larvae.

I don't know of any studies on bees, but in humans pure oxygen is a bad idea. It washes out the nitrogen that lines your lungs and keeps the alveoli inflated so that the alveoli collapse and you get atelectasis. These collapsed areas plug with mucus. The exchanable air in the lungs actually decreases. Assuming you manage to mitigate those issues and get the person to absorb more oxygen you get oxygen poisoning or oxygen toxicity. This can damage cells, including those of the central nervous system and damages enzymes and cause other serious problems.

My best guess is that it would be very expensive and detrimental.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

what I was wondering is if you could use elevated Co2 to cause them to cluster, and then keep them warmer than 40 to conserve energy. say keep them at 70, just enough they would cluster but not have to eat so much to stay warm and healthy.
    500-1000 hives mostly honey

CO2 will keep them dopey. I don't know if it will keep them clustered. CO2 is used to anesthitize queens for II mating.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    CO2 will keep them dopey.
    sqkcrk... We have enough dopey beekeeping without adding CO2.

cchoganjr

I think that goes in my Best of 2104 folder ....
    Graham

According to our state apiculturist, ozone can be used to sterilize deadout combs-kills nosema spores etc.
    Nick.
    Thinking we all have too much time sitting around inside trying to keep warm-rather be down south working bees:

Quote Originally Posted by funwithbees View Post

According to our state apiculturist, ozone can be used to sterilize deadout combs-kills nosema spores etc.
    Nick.
    Paul Cappy told you that? Did he say how one could do that using ozone? How does one test their comb for presence of Nosema spores? You wouldn't want to sterilize combs for something that isn't present.
    Mark Berninghausen

Yep. If I remember correctly, an airtight chamber could be set up and combs placed inside and connected to an ozone generator. My guess is that you could test bee feces from dysentery that are on a deadout comb for spores under a microscope. or test the dead bees. I think randy oliver mentioned something about o3 also in one of his articles. I don't know anyone who has actually done it. I researched O3 generators and found them to be expensive.
    Nick

Here is a Randy Oliver page that discusses ozone and nosema:

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/the-...ve-treatments/
    (with many systems, Control-F enables a page Search function.) Try searching for "ozone" at the link above.
    Graham

>Control-F enables a page Search function

Wow thanks-learn something new every day