Extra Deep Supers?

Default Extra Deep Supers?

I have created some deep boxes from 12 inch boards. I plan to cut them down to the correct 9+ inch height, but what if I did not do this? Would the bees create natural comb from the bottom of the 9 5/8 frames? Or would it turn out to be a huge mess? Anyone tried this? Photos?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Extra Deep Supers?

From what I have read you will have a mess, but you could make extra deep frames if you never plan to move the box. I know I have read some people's comments that they used to do this to increase the size of the brood chamber. But I am just saying what I read, I am too new to know anything yet.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, not trying the no treatment anymore

I've wondered about this too. If they can build neat comb under a top bar, seems like they could build it under the frame just as well. Or could you just use the top and sides of the frame without the bottom? I was thinking that a single box 11 1/4 tall or maybe a few inches more would probably be enough of a brood chamber here. If you weren't planning to move it, it would save a lot of unstacking.

I wouldn't want many that big myself. I was thinking of building one for a friend. He only has a small yard and probably will never have more than one hive or ever want to move it.

I'd play with the idea!
    https://sites.google.com/site/worldb...eehives/dadant
    If you're inspired, try it and let us know how it goes.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Does anyone still sell those Dadant frames? I couldn't find any.

Thanks for the link. That's just what I was thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    Does anyone still sell those Dadant frames? I couldn't find any.
    Did you get a link to a place to buy the Dadant frames?

I don't think anyone sells them anymore. I couldn't find any, but I did find this: https://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...t-type-frames/

A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Of course, you could always order top and bottom bars from a bee supply and just make your own custom side bars. That's what I would do, not that my opinion really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonRedding View Post
    Of course, you could always order top and bottom bars from a bee supply and just make your own custom side bars. That's what I would do, not that my opinion really matters.
    Actually that's a good idea if nobody makes the whole frame anymore. I build everything else myself anyways.

Rossman sells 11 1/4" frames. I use a lot of them in both ten and twelve frame boxes.

Twelve frame Brother Adam Hive with 11 1/4" frames:

Stick with the standard sizes. You would regret it later if you get exotic equipment. Rip your boards first, then build the boxes, it's easier. Use the thin strip to make cleats for the boxes and stiffeners for bottom boards and migratory covers. Just my two cents.

>Stick with the standard sizes. You would regret it later if you get exotic equipment.

I have used deeper frames since 1979 and never regretted it.

Now this years project I might regret:

odfrank, that's good to know about Rossman, you must have to special order them because I didn't see them listed on their site.

[QUOTE=Kenww;1040665]I've wondered about this too. If they can build neat comb under a top bar, seems like they could build it under the frame just as well.

They can and will build neatly under the frame. This happens to me every year when I runout of medium frames and borrow shallow frames to dump into the medium boxes for more brood space or they raise brood in shallow frames that I pull to make splits in medium or deep boxes.
    When I find the frames at the end of the season I just scrape the bottom comb off and place back in the shallow super.

Odfrank,
    Nice hexagon hive! Are the top bars in the triangular sections nailed to the edges?

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    odfrank, that's good to know about Rossman, you must have to special order them because I didn't see them listed on their site.
    I ordered from Ann Rossman, 229 985-7200. Last order was maybe 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonRedding View Post
    Odfrank,Nice hexagon hive! Are the top bars in the triangular sections nailed to the edges?
    Yes, It is a hybrid Langstroth/Warre hive. With medium depth frames.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/odfrank/story/68457

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Yes, It is a hybrid Langstroth/Warre hive. With medium depth frames.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/odfrank/story/68457
    I must say, that is some fine woodwork! Uptown bees.....very nice and well done.

[QUOTE=kbfarms;1041022]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    They can and will build neatly under the frame. .
    You will find that a few shallow in a medium will work, but, if you put all 10 normal deep frames, (beeditch's question), in a super deep, it will work only if the comb on the bottom is started straight and then built straight downward. If any of your bottom bars are not lined up, you will get wavey comb, hard to get out and even harder to get back in.

Of course if you see that they are starting off wrong, you could scrape the comb off the bottom and let them try again. But, that causes a lot of disruption.

cchoganjr