SawStop!

Thread: SawStop!

Thumbs Up SawStop!

We have a SawStop out in the woodshop. A bit pricey but we thought it worth the safety factor a few years ago when we stated our custom woodworking business. We carve custom bee boxes and award plaques. My husband was out in the shop today cutting new boxes when the blade hit his thumb. The pink dot on his thumb is where the blade hit it. It WORKS . He's on his way to buy another dado set rather than going to the ER .

Last edited by kbfarms; 01-04-2014 at 07:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: SawStop!

Yes they are an amazing technology must have been a very clever guy who invented it. Does it ever give a false misfire? I've wondered about that, sometimes i'll accidentally just lightly brush the blade with a bit of wood & have wondered if it was a sawstop, could it tell the difference?
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

I believe the saw blade has an electrical circuit running through the teeth which constantly measures the electrical conductivity of the material it is cutting through. Human skin conducts better than wood, and thus the saw senses when it starts to penetrate your finger/hand. I have heard that overly wet wood or treated wood will cause a false trigger. You then can't use the saw until the one-shot brake cartridge is replaced to the tune of about $80. Beats cutting off a finger, though.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

That's pretty cool. I got my thumb into a shaper right before Christmas. Just made 3 tiny skin deep incisions - very lucky. The picture of what could have happened that ran through my mind gave me a cold chill. Glad you had it.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

Searched You Tube, here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbndZtkfcqs
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

Yep, beeswax will cause a seizing of the blade..... nothing in the instructions told us that beeswax would cause the blade to seize . He's turns it off now for cutting down our old boxes (yes, I know........). We are cutting 10 frame to 8 frame boxes because I'm a wimp. Today was about $300 between the dado blade and cartridge. Cheaper than ER and he gets to keep his thumb.

We take custom orders for nucs (either deep or mediums). They are usually available in mid to late May as we use our own queens, the southern queens just don't work well for me. We only sell by word of mouth as we are a small outfit and don't do large numbers of anything as we both still work fulltime so we can afford to farm. Folks can PM me or email us from our FB or website (just search for KB Farms) for additional information and prices. Hope I still have hives after this next set of cold weather. Wind chill is predicted from -15 to -30 by Monday

We have one of these at the school I teach at. Having taught woodworking for 5 years, as a teacher, I love the thing. As a woodworker, I override the safety often. I do not override it because I have a sense of arrogance but rather as stated the cartridges are rather expensive and I work with materials that are sometimes not ideal for the saw. It will "go off" with anything that can conduct electricity. Ours has set off for nails, wet wood, and a few odd things the custodians put through it.

When it "senses" something the blade is pulled down and jammed into a block of metal. Essentially ruining the cartridge though sometimes the blade doesn't take damage.

You can override the safety very easily and quickly if you need to, keep in mind, by need to I mean you're concerned the wood may having something in it (a small finish nail for example).

Overall a great piece of equipment for many users and of course, a saved finger is worth any amount of money.

For the woodworkers who are interested, here is a shot of the blade after it was engaged by the cartridge. My husband went to their website and reviewed their information. They will send a new replacement cartridge to you for free if you'll send the fired one in to them. They collect the data off the cartridge for research into improving their product. Bonus! We'll be sending ours off next week. I'm happy with the company.

I believe the free cartridge is sent if they determine the cartridge was set off by skin contact.

There is an aluminum sabot/billet that is actually fired into the blade when it detects skin contact (Joe here). As Cheryl mentioned we have had an event that I initially categorized as a false positive - fired when I didn't expect it to. But, after thinking through it, I think old wax and propolis on the wood gave the same result. As AR mentioned, every now and then I disable this feature when doing certain tasks to avoid the false positive. Frankly no idea how I ended up touching the blade in this case - simple task, new wood, push blocks in use, etc. Before I knew it the saw had stopped, the wood piece was on the floor, and It wasn't until after it was all over that I figured out that my thumb had actually hit the blade.

Here's a pic of the sabot that fired and a new one ready for use.

kbfarms
    Thanks for the heads-up. I have the Sawstop and love it but I didn't know that beeswax would trip the circuit. I was worried about false trips but have never had any problems in the three years I've had it. I do occasionally use the bypass when I'm worried about wood being too wet or the possibility of a nail being in the wood. You may have just saved me $200.+ for that info. Thanks again!

Thank You for sharing, I had no idea these existed... The You Tube video in which the product's creator stops the blade with his finger is pretty cool

That saw just paid for itself. a few times over. Repairs to equipment are so much cheaper than those to people. They just purchased the saw stop where I work. No false positives after one full year. They really need to get this product so that other saws can be fit with them. I have been hearing for years that they are working on it. the problem is or at least used to be that the safety is way up there but that the quality of the saw is not. I am not getting confirmation of that from our carpenters though.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Wow! Great Post I'm glad that you are okay. I don't own a table saw but I have seen the SawStop video before and was impressed. Daniel Y makes a great point about the repairs to the saw being cheaper than repairs to people. I hadn't thought of getting the SawStop but I should factor that in if I decide to get a table saw. I use a table saw at work and don't get my fingers even close but the thought of it is enough to have me thinking it is worth it for working on bee boxes and things that would vary more than what I do at my job. Nice thumb Joe it's a keeper