package or nuc

Thread: package or nuc

Embarrassed package or nuc

Looking for a russian bee package or a nuc if it is close enough to drive. This is for spring 2014.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: package or nuc

Arnold in Knoxville TN offers Russian packages:
    http://www.arnoldhoneybeeservices.co..._for_sale.html

I purchased 2 packages of Italians from Arnold in 2012 and was pleased with the bees and the transaction. I did pick those bees up in person, and would recommend that you discuss shipping arrangements in your first contact with Tess Arnold. I also suggest that if you can find another supplier close enough to pick up in person - even for packages - that will be a better choice.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by bigwinemaker View Post
    Looking for a russian bee package or a nuc if it is close enough to drive. This is for spring 2014.
    If I was you I'd look for local nucs southern bees won't do well here but if your looking for straight up Russians that might be hard to find .
    Good luck.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

You don't have to have "russian" bees in the package.... You want a russian queen... So depending on your time frame.. You could order a package and a queen. Sell the italian/package queen and replace with the russian.

All the bees in your box are replaced in short order, so I don't believe it really matters what comes in the screened cage.. Thier job is to build comb for the queen to lay in....

You may want to check with Kelly's they sell Russian hybrid packages. I got 6 packages last year. I know I am farther south than you but so far they are doing fine. However, three of those packages did supersede.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    You don't have to have "russian" bees in the package.... You want a russian queen... So depending on your time frame.. You could order a package and a queen. Sell the italian/package queen and replace with the russian.
    The Italian package has to accept the Russian queen. If I were going to pay for a Russian queen I would want her to stick around so I would opt for a Russian package to increase the odds. Once you have an established Russian hive you can split or graft. The thing is the resulting hives will still be watered down over time.

To me trying to run pure breed bees is like fighting mother nature. You might as well toast the bees in the fall and buy new in the spring.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Why Russians?

If you do a search you will finds threads on the pros and cons of russians. I have had them in the past and do not care to have them again.

If you are dead set on russians you might want to check these folks out: http://www.coldcountryqueens.com/to-order.html

They have a very good reputation. Some years they do have nucs for sale. If you can't get a nuc you can always buy a package and then requeen it with a russian queen from them.

Tom

There are a lot of smart people with great advise on this post.
    My two cents, we have had Russians, not any more, still to this day after almost 10 years of beekeeping I cant figure out why anyone wants them, but each to their own.

Look for great genetics and as you know the mated queen if mated correctly rules the roost.

To us Italians are the greatest, but when it comes down to it a strong hive is a great hive no matter what they are.

Good luck, I hope you find what your looking for. If you want Italians or Carnis look us up.

I've never had an issue with this, if they queen is properly introduced. I was merely offering a suggesting. I'd say it's a lot easier to find a Italian package and mail order a Russian queen, than to find a "true" Russian package that was shaken from a Russian hive.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    The Italian package has to accept the Russian queen. If I were going to pay for a Russian queen I would want her to stick around so I would opt for a Russian package to increase the odds. Once you have an established Russian hive you can split or graft. The thing is the resulting hives will still be watered down over time.

To me trying to run pure breed bees is like fighting mother nature. You might as well toast the bees in the fall and buy new in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Hive Farms View Post
    Look for great genetics and as you know the mated queen if mated correctly rules the roost.
    I think most people will say the queen doesn't rule anything. She is just a egg laying machine. If a hive is predominately Italian and queenless it will accept a Russian queen out of desperation but if the Russian queen doesn't perform like the Italian one did they may just replace her before the population becomes mostly Russian. That would explain why Bill in Kentucky had a 50% supercedure rate. If the Russian queen is not pure breed Russian it may not get replace because it has some Italian tendencies already. When you buy a specific breed of queen do you get any certification to what it really is?
    Brian Cardinal

If you buy from a member of the russian breeder association.... you know they at least got into the program... Now whether they went down to GA and picked up 200 junk queens and resold... *shrugs*

As for the Italians being picky... I've seen much more problems from requeening Feral/Russians than any of my italians.. But your mileage may vary...

I would say try to get a nuc from somewhere local. A locally bred stock might be better than Russians.

I bought 2) nucs from a Russian Breeder Assoc. breeder. I liked them. A little testy, but overwintered quite well. They both swarmed in the early Spring, but I recaptured one. The other requeened and now appears to be an Italian, Russian hybrid. It is my best hive. It seems to me its close to impossible to keep your breeds pure.

Quote Originally Posted by Belewsboy View Post
    It seems to me its close to impossible to keep your breeds pure.
    And I would say that is why they have lasted for millions of years.
    Brian Cardinal

I still believe this as I am not sure how a hive will make it without a queen and the queen lays the eggs and you need an egg for them to pull out a cell.

Maybe like who came first the chicken or the egg argument.
    It was just my opinion and my experience over the years, a great queen, great bees, lots of honey and make it over winter, etc.

I assume this is your first year? If so I would order a couple packages and try to find a local nuc. Then you will have the opportunity to see for yourself the difference between the two. If you are sure you still want Russians buy some queens from someone in the Russian breeders Association later on in the summer and requeen the hives. I think you will have better luck requeening the hives later on in the summer during your main flow would be a good time. If you try to requeen the packages right from the start you run the risk of having the bees supercede the queen. It is pretty common for packages to supercede before they really get established. This would really get you some good learning experience.