Split like crazy - Page 5
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: Split like crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    So cells don't make any sense for a hobbyist with a few hives. Raise your own walk away splits do.
    I almost bought cells this past Summer. They would have cost 4 to 5 dollars each and would have required a 3 1/2 hour round trip. I'm certain that the success rate with the cells would have been much better than for the virgins I purchased.

Cells would have made sense in my case....
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

"set up to raise their own queens". From their own three day old larvae. I made sure they had a frame w/ eggs and young larvae.
    Mark, that's great. I've always heard that you need to have a strong booming colony to raise quality queens. Apparently if you have enough bees and resources available that is not really necessary. That's good to know, I've always done splits and left a pretty strong colony to raise the new queen.
    To everything there is a season....

You do have to have a healthy amount of bees in those boxes. That may account for some of those that didn't work.
    Mark Berninghausen

So cells don't make any sense for a hobbyist with a few hives. Raise your own walk away splits do.
    I disagree. It doesn't make sense for a hobbyist to buy and ship cells... But it does not make sense to tear down your hives in the hopes of all of the parts making it. I've done it plenty of times when I first started. So if you said "for hobbyist that wanted the least amount of work with a "chance" for increase/hives". Sure, I agree.

If the hobbyist has the drive/energy. They can make much better queens in a controlled manner that doesn't involve grafting, assuming they can't/won't do it. You can cut comb/cell punch.. move the queen to a nuc and notch cells, you can overload a nuc etc...

But I don't believe it's idea to knock down a hive... Not look into it and just pass the full boxes like playing cards while you cross your fingers. Sounds like a easy way for a hobbyist to waste a large number of bees. If one part doesn't make it. You potentially "wasted" a third of your bees.

That's not to say it doesn't work... It works fine... but my opinion is that all beekeepers should due their part to make the best bees they can.. either through purchase or selective breeding...
    Last edited by KevinR; 11-23-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Ma strong booming colony to raise quality queens.
    You should have larger number/enough bees to overwhelming feed the cells.. This can be done in a number of ways...

It doesn't require a large number of bees to mate a queen. Which is why people use the baby mating nucs. If they queen doesn't make it back and the nuc fails, you wasted effort and a cup of bees.

Had a PM that asked about the last post. I just want to clarify that you need a large number of bees to make and feed the cells. My preferred way is to setup a cell builder with young nurse bees. 24/48 hours later.. The cells should be accepted and have a little ring of wax from where they are beginning to pull them out.

I then take these cells and place them in a BOOMING hive.. above an excluder.. The booming hive will feed and take care of all the started cells. On the 10th day, I pull those cells and place them in a mating nuc.

The mating nuc only needs a minimal amount of bees. I usually use a cup of bees in each mating nuc, then you lock them up with the cell and feed. The next day, I open the nuc so the queen can fly out of the hive to mate and will come back to the nuc, usually.

The cup of bees is enough to draw out the comb and she will start laying. Obviously you can't do this in the middle of winter, but as long as the weather is acceptable. I enjoy this method.

Makes sense. I just found it very interesting that Mark had 75% success with starter-finisher 4 frame nucs. I'm sure they had to be packed with bees to make this happen.
    To everything there is a season....

Kevin, you are not convincing me to change my ways. Everything that we have discussed involves critical timing and the time to do it. Most beekeepers are just beekeepers and I get that. But there is a large number of people who want garden hives and don't want to get into the biology and commitment of being a beekeeper. They have other lives. I know that for most people who make it their life and I think they need to get over it. Bees are insects and they have a far greater chance of surviving a catastrophic event than we do.

Bees are the most exciting hobby that I have gotten into. As a HOBBY they are the cheapest and easiest hobby that I have ever done.
    Last edited by Acebird; 11-23-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: "for most people"
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

You have 7,229 posts in 2 years, and your telling me the best way for a hobbyist to increase their number of hives. Is to tear their hive(s), divide by the box without inspecting them, and to hope for the best?

*shrugs*

You'd be way better served to tell the "hobbyist" to take 2 frames of brood, a frame of honey, and a purchased queen. They have not endangered hive(s) and they have a "very" solid chance to increase their number of hives.

I assumed the Split like Crazy title meant to split a lot... Maybe the title was literal.

I say take 2 frames of brood a frame of honey and the queen and let the big hive re queen then they would not have to buy a queen .
    I'd take the queen out and let them make QCs and split away bet you could make 5 or more nucs. Just saying.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Kevin, you are not convincing me to change my ways. Everything that we have discussed involves critical timing and the time to do it. Most beekeepers are just beekeepers and I get that. But there is a large number of people who want garden hives and don't want to get into the biology and commitment of being a beekeeper. They have other lives. I know that frost people who make it their life and I think they need to get over it. Bees are insects and they have a far greater chance of surviving a catastrophic event than we do.

Bees are the most exciting hobby that I have gotten into. As a HOBBY they are the cheapest and easiest hobby that I have ever done.
    Who is trying to convince you? And what the heck are "frost people"?
    Mark Berninghausen

Hey Mark that is short hand. Frost people are "for most people".
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    I say take 2 frames of brood a frame of honey and the queen and let the big hive re queen then they would not have to buy a queen .
    I'd take the queen out and let them make QCs and split away bet you could make 5 or more nucs. Just saying.
    I agree. This a perfectly viable option. I like to catch my old queens and place them into nucs for continued expansion and replacing the active hive with new blood. My big problem is that large hives don't always want to accept the new mated queen. Also, on the level of a hobbyist, they might not want to make 5+ splits. If your looking for rapid expansion it works well. The downside is if the bees decide to make all of their replacement queen cells on a single frame. That's why I like grafting and/or using queen cells.

My main point in all of it, is that you need to know what's in your boxes. Then you can make an educated decision on what each part/split needs.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    and your telling me the best way for a hobbyist to increase their number of hives. Is to tear their hive(s), divide by the box without inspecting them, and to hope for the best?
    Nope, I never said that.
    You'd be way better served to tell the "hobbyist" to take 2 frames of brood, a frame of honey, and a purchased queen.
    That takes timing and commitment, right? Your stuck in a rut. Not everyone has the time or the commitment. Now you are going to tell me they shouldn't have bees. I don't think so.
    Last edited by Acebird; 11-23-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    My main point in all of it, is that you need to know what's in your boxes. Then you can make an educated decision on what each part/split needs.
    I agree.
    Notching works well also when making QCs on frames I love working my bees and making splits if I only wanted a couple hives I guess a walk away would be ok but not for me.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Hey Mark that is short hand. Frost people are "for most people".
    Well then, maybe you are the one who should get over it and stop posting so darn much on beesource. This is a Forum for folks who want to learn about bees and beekeeping and who want to do what they do better. And you don't really seem to want to do any of that.

Also, seems to me that stories about harvesting from your garden and chasing chickens belongs in Coffee Clatch, not any of the Beekeeping Forums.
    Mark Berninghausen

Here is the thread on Ace's split earlier this year:

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...eenless-or-not
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

> Also, seems to me that stories about harvesting from your garden and chasing chickens belongs in Coffee Clatch, not any of the Beekeeping Forums.

Hey .... Ace had beekeeping content in there! He said he thought about opening a hive, but then ... mmm ... uhhh .... chickened out!

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

mark--
    This is a Forum for folks who want to learn about bees and beekeeping and who want to do what they do better.
    belongs in Coffee Clatch, not any of the Beekeeping Forums.
    it's about time!

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Also, seems to me that stories about harvesting from your garden and chasing chickens belongs in Coffee Clatch, not any of the Beekeeping Forums.
    Oops, sorry Mark. I thought the forum would enjoy what the bees did for me this year. What did the bees do for your garden?
    Brian Cardinal

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast