Split like crazy - Page 20
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Default Re: Split like crazy

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    For your 3 hives, you'd need 15-18 boxes, plus a couple for splits.
    I had 15, gave away 4 got 2 replaced and bought 5 = 18. If it is not enough I will make or buy more.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Ya'll this poor old horse has been so well beaten, it could be sold as ground meat very easily. And no one would find the bones or the hide cause they have been so well blended in from the beating.

As a newbie, this has been interesting. Learned some from both sides of the debate.

Now are ya'll going to try to turn this thing to tomato paste consistency before it gets locked.
    Last edited by marshmasterpat; 12-01-2013 at 09:35 PM.

I had absolutely no intention of having as much equipment as I do now.

Frankly, I think I need more.

Unless you have stuff on hand, when and where you need it, you're pretty much helpless.

And, of course, there's all the stuff you bought/made that you don't really need, but you have it just in case.

I built 4 combination top/bottom boards so I can have two hives or more on a single bottom board. Just in case...

...I have to do a walkaway split in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    ...I remember being there myself, and I think that a successful split is even more important to a new hobbyist than a larger operation....Most are not looking for the "easy" way, but the "best" way.
    And a good successful first split lets a person know that even if they have one hive left in the spring they can still recover.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Instead of splitting like crazy, what would be a reasonable amount of spitting? If I wanted to sell 100 nucs per year how many full hives would I be likely to need? I know it could very greatly. Just want a best guess or average year estimate. Assuming that I wanted to raise bees and just a little honey. I'm looking for some supplementAl income when I retire in 5-9 years.

Maybe this will give you an idea:

http://www.mdasplitter.com/docs/OTS.pdf

That's interesting. Amazing really. Have you tried it?

I think it depends on if your raising queens, buying queens, or doing a let the bees raise there own. Also you need to decide how much your going to spend in feed. And how long you can make queens/splits..

But I would think you "should" be able to split a hive 4 times a year fairly easily... Then you need to figure out your winter losses etc... So in "theory" you could be able to get away with 25 hives making 4 splits per hive per year...

I'm sure you can get more or less aggressive... I fed one hive and it's splits all year two-three years back and ended up with 24 hives from one... But some of those didn't make it through the winter or got slimed out by SHB...

It really depends on you, your location, your bees, and your ability....

Also you need to decide if your going to try to make any honey with your to be split hives..

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920