Split like crazy - Page 2
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Split like crazy

Only by looking underneath the frames and seeing when the boxes change from honey to brood nest. I could go by weight except in the spring most of the honey is gone so a box could be light and still not have brood. I do not pull frames and look for eggs or brood. Also up here in the spring the brood is not going to be scattered all over the hive because we have cool nights. Latter on in the summer the brood could be scattered because I don't use a QE.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

So you truly have no way of knowing whether your colony has brood or not unless its capped brood by looking from below up to the top bar? Sounds like you are guessing whether there is brood in it or not. Does that really work well for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I thought I was clear but I will make it clear, yes, custom frames and custom boxes.
    Anyone considering actually implementing the plan outlined above, with custom width frames, should be aware that this plan may require a custom built/modified extractor as well, or otherwise require crush and strain honey processing.

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Not really Graham. I have custom frames for my mating NUCs and I can extract just fine in my dadant extractors. Now the problem is it wont fit my uncapper so its uncapped by hand.

The frame reel in the extractor that I got from Brushy Mountain has the upper and lower frame guides spaced 16" apart. If custom frames width are less than that, they won't be tall enough to reach the top guide, and may be unstable.

That may be a problem.
    Graham

So your extractor doesn't have expanded metal helping support your frame. Is it one of the italian extractors they sell with the plastic/stainless steel reel?

I actually bought a deeply discounted 21 frame "scratch n' dent" model from the BM Bargain Barn that was stripped of some parts. But looking at other models didn't suggest that there was ever any expanded metal with this model. Also, I didn't see any significant plastic on these models.

Of course, not all extractors are designed to identical specifications. That is why my original post used the word "may". Its probably best to identify an extractor that works with your custom frame design before you commit to those custom frames.
    Graham

Yes so I would not suggest custom frames to anyone unless they really needed them. Of course they could always build a flat extractor or whatever they are called for extracting from TBHs.

100 % stainless steel flat extractor ....

I am not trying to make fun of those who chose to do crush and strain. I also have a couple of TBHs, and Crush&Strain is just the way it is for TBH harvesting. But one really should have a harvesting plan before committing to a particular non-standard hive style.
    Graham

Not exactly the extractor I was talking about, but He if it works, use it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    So you truly have no way of knowing whether your colony has brood or not unless its capped brood by looking from below up to the top bar? Sounds like you are guessing whether there is brood in it or not. Does that really work well for you?
    I know it has brood. I don't know if it has eggs or uncapped brood. It works just fine.

If a hive it taking off like a banchie and it usually does if it makes it through winter and has plenty of honey, it is a pretty good bet that it has brood of all stages and eggs. Most of you beekeepers are worried about efficiency. I could care less about efficiency. I am not selling any honey that I have to worry about getting the most amount you can get.

The way my extractor is designed I would have no problem running shorter frames. All I would have to do is move the brackets on the PVC tube or add more so I could do both lengths. Actually shorter frames would allow me to raise the motor and get more capacity but with only three hives I haven't even come close to have the level of honey reach the motor.
    Brian Cardinal

There are plenty of people that do walk away splits... I've done it and it works.... I just prefer to have more of hands on approach... I also feel that I can do more splits with moving frames than doing a walk away. i.e. one 8 frame box could make 4+ splits depending on their make up and how weak I wanted them to be.

I don't see any problem with having custom sized frames, beside the effort involved. You could easily modify a top bar to function has an adapter. Snap in the new smaller frame.. extract, then snap out the new frame.

I'm considering doing this on a bunch of mating nucs that I want to make up.... With that said, I don't know if there is real reason do to it.. It would definitely make it easier to know you have brood in your frames, because the hive would be collapses that much more.. Taller/skinnier.. Your just taking a slice out of the tower.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    I just prefer to have more of hands on approach...
    And I prefer to let nature take its course. Isn't beekeeping wonderful you can do what ever you want it all works out.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Isn't beekeeping wonderful you can do what ever you want it all works out.
    If only that was true
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

How about splitting using bought virgin cells/queens?

But, maybe that's just too nutty.

Walk away splits are cheap. Splits made with bought mated queens are quick.

I haven't heard much about the middle ground though.

Why is that?

I made splits with a strong DBL. deep I just pulled the queen and did some notching and made like 5 splits with QCs and put a frame of brood with each QC in a queen castle {2 frame set up} and let the DBL. deep requeen its self so that's 6 total with alittle help from other hives for the frame of brood. I like to make queens and splits and catching swarms just all of it.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Why is that?
    A queen cell is kind of delicate so shipping would do them in. There is nothing nutty about using a queen cell in your own apiary.
    Brian Cardinal

There are plenty of people that ship and buy queen cells. David Miksa has made an entire business out of it.. I believe he ships/sales hundreds of thousands of cells.

I'm planning on buying a bunch this year. When you order the cells, they hatch the same day...(Generally)

From an email conversation with David..

"We only ship queen cells next day Air UPS a box can hold up to 230 cells & we can tie two together.
    They are shipped in cell protectors with bees to keep them warm.
    Shipped only to your nearest UPS Customer service center as the cells emerge the day you get them.
    In the Lower 48 states it runs from $40 to $110. Double boxes are 50% higher."

Shipping prices may have changed since I talked to him....

Acebird:

Time and genetics are the issues. Queen cells are less expensive than mated queens, and have the advantage of 'new' genetics. Marked, virgin queens add a whole new dimension to 'splitting like crazy'.

It can produce hybrids, and you can certify the queen stock.

That's nontrivial in some necks of the woods.

That is news to me. What is the fall out percentage?
    Brian Cardinal

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast