Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Default Re: My recipe/method for sugar blocks

Thanks!
    I'll pass on the probiotic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I leave plenty of naturally collected feed stores and do not treat with antibiotics or fumagillin.

In my case I see no need to add probios.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Thanks Lauri !

I've used Lauri's recipe since it was first posted and have adapted the recipe for small batches. I've also added mineral salt. It works well for me. I stack them in boot boxes to take them to the yard. I've learned that they will break up if I have them in the back of the truck when bouncing through the roads and fields to the yards so I put them on the floor of the cab.

My version:

8# sugar
    6 ounces of cider vinegar
    - 1 teaspoon vitamins & electrolytes from TSC packet
    3 drops LG essential oil
    1 teaspoon mineral salt (also from TSC)

Makes 2 large sheet pans. Tap in place then gently roll out. Cut into 4 bricks each. Dry in the oven, keeping the temperature around 150 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    2015 November pics below of a moderate nuc colony
    Those two pics look like you just dropped the sugar brick on top of the ladies! No wonder it's a "moderate" nuc colony!
    Last edited by Barry; 11-17-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    Those two pics look like you just dropped the sugar brick on top of the ladies! No wonder it's a "moderate" nuc colony!
    I have a lot of single 8 frame deeps I use as mating nucs most of the season. I leave the last round of queens in them and let them grow to overwinter.

Bees get out of the way of the block just fine as long as I give them a second or blow on them. There's enough bits of burr comb on top the frames to hold the block up just a bit.

Here's a plastic sheet I use on singles to keep them from building up too much on top the frames. (Especially if I need to use a feed shim to feed protein patties in fall.) Keeps their collection and storage efforts on completing those outside frames. This is what that colony in the post above looked like before I exposed them & added the sugar block.

That sheet is actually a food grade 'cutting board' from the dollar store. comes in a 2 pack and is the perfect size for laying across the top bars of singles to keep them from making a mess when they are still drawing wax.

https://deals.dollartree.com/Flexibl...8956/index.pro

Here's two colonies the same age and size. One with the sheet and one without.

Now if the sheet is left on until late fall, you'll get some wax built, but there'll be no honey stored in it. The feed has been stored on the frame where it belongs. You can scrape off the wax if it is excessive (Like this one was) without taking away winter feed.

Here's a typical single built up with wax and honey and empty end frames.

SO far, no matter how full the hive got, the bees have never made a mess on top the mat.
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-17-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    Lauri Miller.

I like the cutting board idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    I like the cutting board idea.
    It's like a mini crown board, but you can use your inner cover with a top entrance.

They always start building in the center so that's really all you have to cover. Works great. I just left a couple on until late fall to see what they'd so. The little pillers you see are not really for building up, but to make room for the bees to congregate on top the frames but under the sheet.

This is usually the results. Just a bit of wax and bees below on the frames.

Totally eliminates this if you are using a feeding shim for fat patties

Photo is 4-26-15..Maple

Best way to avoid this is to slap another box on top before they do this. Sometimes it just isn't an option at the time. A mat on top the frames can buy you some time.
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-17-2015 at 05:28 PM.
    Lauri Miller.

Lauri -

The plastic sheet thing is a very useful idea!

I'll ante in with another: if you do get pieces or chunks of stray comb with honey in it during the course of working your bees, simply put them into one of those shallow plastic trays that hold microwaveable dinners (after washing the tray, of course.) Set the tray with comb directly on top of the top bars (or on top of the inner cover, if you use them) and the bees will relocate all honey and pollen very quickly, leaving clean wax for re-melting. I keep a stack of these plastic trays on hand whenever I am in a hive and routinely dump in all the comb pieces that I scrape off the tops of bars. Keeps the bees' own resources in their hive. I think they also recycle some of the new wax and propolis, as well.

Enj.

Enj.

Just wanted to say 'Thanks" Lauri for the recipe, easy as pie. My bricks were mixed exactly to specifications and placed in my warm basement with a fan on them and they were literally hard and ready to be placed on hives in 48 hours. Placing them in the next few days and sitting back and waiting on spring now, of course with the occasional peek to see how the stores are holding up

Lauri, if the dry Bee Pro melted on top of the sugar bricks when I put them in the oven, does that denature the proteins or otherwise make it unhealthy or no longer beneficial for the bees?
    Last edited by jhinshaw; 11-20-2015 at 12:33 PM.
    4th Yr. 8 hives. Italian/Carniolan apiary. 3 loss over 4 yr. W.NC location.
    https://instagram.com/jacquelinehinshaw/

Quote Originally Posted by BeeTeach View Post
    I've used Lauri's recipe since it was first posted and have adapted the recipe for small batches. I've also added mineral salt. ...

Makes 2 large sheet pans. Tap in place then gently roll out. Cut into 4 bricks each. Dry in the oven, keeping the temperature around 150 degrees.
    Quick Q: About how long in the oven?

I read the first 5 post pages hopping to find the answer and I decided to move to the last page. Sorry if my question is a repeat. Anyhow, the question is how and where to store the bricks. Mine are hard enough to kill with, but it may still have some humidity. I started using plastic wrap and I stopped; better ask. Wrapped, with what, out in the open or in the fridge, any shelf life to consider,…..?
    Thank you for everything. Posts and pictures are a beauty.

I've stored extras for a year in a cardboard box, used them the next with no problems.

I have read many post, not all but a lot, so please forgive me if this has already been covered.

I am getting my first bees in March, four packages. Will this be a good "tonic" to feed the newly installed packages?

MC - They would slow the "uptake", so syrup might be a better bet for a package. Too much syrup can lead to back filling, so bricks should remedy that. First bees, started on foundation, would probably benefit more from a slug of syrup, followed by bricks as they get going. I believe Lauri uses them on all manner of small colonies (nucs). Store them in a plastic storage tote.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Default How many trays will this recipe make?

Can you tell me how many large trays of sugar cakes Lauri's sugar black recipe will make? It's hard to determine this by her pictures. I only have 2 hives. Also, if I have extra sugar cakes is there a certain way they need to be stored? Thanks I am trying to make these today since I can't give them syrup any more. Too cold outside...

Default Re: How many trays will this recipe make?

Depends on the thickness. I make about 6 sugar blocks from this recipe...any leftovers I just store in a cardboard box, off the floor of my shop and use the next year. They keep pretty much forever if you don't get them wet.

Thanks for your reply )

I cut he recipe down to 1/4. That made one large cookie that has edges. I have it on the lowest heat 170 degrees in my gas oven. Not sure how long to leave it in. How is it supposed to look or feel when it is done??? )
    Last edited by Lady Devana; 10-15-2016 at 04:35 PM.

I only set the oven to 120 , after it warms up to 120 I turn it off,
    just doing that 3 or 4 times seems to be all it needs
    ( i make small bricks not a whole sheet )
    too hot and you will melt the sugar

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast