My recipe/method for sugar blocks - Page 24
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Default Re: My recipe/method for sugar blocks

Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I read the first 5 post pages hopping to find the answer and I decided to move to the last page. Sorry if my question is a repeat. Anyhow, the question is how and where to store the bricks. Mine are hard enough to kill with, but it may still have some humidity. I started using plastic wrap and I stopped; better ask. Wrapped, with what, out in the open or in the fridge, any shelf life to consider,..?
    Thank you for everything. Posts and pictures are a beauty.
    I put mine in Ziploc airtight storage totes. I like to put them in a box first with a sheet of paper (packing paper and the like) between each brick. The boxes will then go into the tote. -james

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I keep mine in a white plastic bucket with a lid on top. They keep indefinitely.

I just keep them in a cardboard box in the garage. It can get humid here in the summer and they stay rock hard. No problem with ants, maybe due to the vinegar? So, I would say just store them in a way where ants and other pests won't get into them. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    I just keep them in a cardboard box in the garage. It can get humid here in the summer and they stay rock hard. No problem with ants, maybe due to the vinegar? So, I would say just store them in a way where ants and other pests won't get into them. J
    my problem early on was mice getting in them. I also have an ant problem, though I don't recall if they got into the sugar bricks. Anyway, when i went to the sealable totes the mouse problem was solved. -james

Quote Originally Posted by dixiebooks View Post
    I put mine in Ziploc airtight storage totes. I like to put them in a box first with a sheet of paper (packing paper and the like) between each brick. The boxes will then go into the tote. -james
    Hi

I store mine in a plastic storage bin with the lid on. A bin that does not have any openings for air and clamps shut. I put wax paper in the bottom then in between each layer of sugar bricks then on top of last row. That keeps them nice and solid. You can store them in the house or in a garage. I wouldn't recommend anyplace that is high humidity like in a shed or garage with no heat. I do the same with cookies at Christmas with the wax paper and a metal tin container. They last forever and don't get stale. That's how my German Mom did it and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Devana View Post
    Hi

I store mine in a plastic storage bin with the lid on. A bin that does not have any openings for air and clamps shut. I put wax paper in the bottom then in between each layer of sugar bricks then on top of last row. That keeps them nice and solid. You can store them in the house or in a garage. I wouldn't recommend anyplace that is high humidity like in a shed or garage with no heat. I do the same with cookies at Christmas with the wax paper and a metal tin container. They last forever and don't get stale. That's how my German Mom did it and it worked.
    Bless your heart. A German mom. Me, too. LOL Maybe that's why we store ours the same way. The ziploc totes are airtight. -james

I pulled the remains of sugar blocks off my hives yesterday and switched to sugar syrup. My question is can I reuse the blocks next winter? Can I mix them with next year's batch and if so how do I do that since they are rock solid? It seems like a shame to simply throw away the uneaten pieces of blocks.

If you're feeding syrup just use them for that. Otherwise I have kept them sealed in a plastic bag in a chest freezer (may not be necessary) and used them the next year with no issue.

Thanks, but I don't understand your comment: If you are feeding syrup just use them for that. Do you mean re-liquify them?

Yes any I have left when I do use them get turned into syrup for nucs .

Break them into tiny pieces, first? Just put them in the feeder and add syrup, like an ice cube?
    Last edited by Beeman1554; 05-09-2019 at 07:27 AM. Reason: not necessary

Is there a water-to-brick formula to re-liquify? I'm sorry I'm being a little dense today.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324