requirements for moving bees into florida - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: requirements for moving bees into florida

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    It's certainly not responsible to site a plan to deal with the increased potential for risk that some areas may have as evidence of "a great deal of fear".
    To me, the not-very-sub rosa thrust of the plan is that Florida beekeepers are beset on all sides by AHB genetics.

3. Honey bee colony divisions or splits should be queened with production queens or queen cells from European honey bee breeder queens following Florida's Best Management Practices.
    4. Florida beekeepers are discouraged from collecting swarms that cannot be immediately re-queened from European honey bee queen producers.
    8. Recommend re-queening with European stock every six months unless using marked or clipped queens and having in possession a bill of sale from an European honey bee queen producer.
    9. Immediately re-queen with a European queen if previously installed clipped or marked queen is found missing.
    I don't know how else to interpret a best practices plan that focuses almost exclusively on the danger of AHB genetics. None of the material is concerned with any other problem Florida beekeepers might face-- nothing about AFB, for example, or any other disease or pest.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Okay I give up. I don't see the great deal of fear but real or perceived BMP are suggested as a way to protect and promote Florida's beekeeping interest.
    I'm unaware of any beekeeper that has a persistent issue with AHB. I've only heard of an occasional issue with hotter managed hives nothing that a pinch didn't fix. Yes bees test positive for AHB here. I'm sure we have some feral hives but my guess is that those in green swamp are diluted with known stock!

Okay I give up. I don't see the great deal of fear but real or perceived BMP are suggested as a way to protect and promote Florida's beekeeping interest.
    I'm unaware of any beekeeper that has a persistent issue with AHB. I've only heard of an occasional issue with hotter managed hives nothing that a pinch didn't fix. Yes bees test positive for AHB here. I'm sure we have some feral hives but my guess is that those in green swamp are diluted with known stock!
    I agree that it's not a real problem, but it certainly seems to be perceived as a problem by the Powers That Be.

Or, the more cynical explanation is that it's a result of lobbying by queen breeders. If beekeepers aren't allowed to requeen their hives from their own stock without constant testing, that means money in certain pockets.

It disturbs me because it tries to close all the doors to developing locally adapted bees.

I agree with the following:

I've seen no evidence to suggest that it's very high on the list of real problems encountered by responsible beekeepers or that difficult to exclude when encountered.

To the best of my knowledge/memory, the AHB moved north and south after being released. Going north, it encountered untrained tribesmen that responded by burning them. When they spread south into Argentina, the well trained beekeepers, many of them German, adapted to them and put them to work. I am sure they pinched alot of queens, but in the end, learned how to deal with the new genes.

Clear now?

Crazy Roland

Crystal!

I generally think my bees are very gentle but I've not worked with very many other hives.
    ( a few from WI and they where fine!)
    I've had my stock tested and actively promote drone rearing in and around the yard I mate in.

I think a the feral population is very low around most of my yards if it exist at all. I have no proof. The is one yard that is an exception but that is a different story.

I know for a fact if you are mating near the Greenswamp or Richloam you have no fear of African stock. We are mating thousands of nucs there now and do so twice a year. So that area is completely saturated with good drones.

The following thesis paper suggests that they're getting false positives (type 1 errors) for AHB in Florida with the tests they're using:

http://udspace.udel.edu/bitstream/ha...pdf?sequence=1

"With morphometrics, mitochondrial DNA, and nuclear DNA tested with the use of microsatellites we found that the known Africanized bees collected by the Florida Department of Agriculture did not exhibit Africanization other than in the preliminary, morphometric test performed by the Department of Agriculture."

"Our data shows that the Africanized bees from Florida/Alabama/Georgia were
    morphometrically Africanized only using USDA-ID not the GWV technique, and not
    necessarily genetically similar enough to the African bee to be considered an
    Africanized bee."
    Last edited by WLC; 11-03-2013 at 06:51 AM.

I have some hives that are gentle, I have some from making splits, from the same hives that are a little more aggressive.
    I know 3 commercial beeks, one raises his own line on the Pyane's Priairie, and ships 100s of them north.
    Like wise, I know Beeks that buy and requeen their hives every year. And then some that make splits and place new queens in them. And out of the 1500 or so hives in each apiary I have been to and worked with some hives are more or less aggressive than the next.
    Saying that, I believe that the AHB's genetics are already imbedded into the gene pool. Like a dog, you never know what gene will be dominate in any offspring.
    I think the AHB issue is over emphasized and is really of little concern. If you research you will find the AHBs can not survive the northern states. An as we all are aware, the bees concern is survival. And therefore, cross breading may have already occurred. Especially when you have no control of the mating when your unmated queen leaves on her mating flight.
    My2Cents
    I will bless (Praise) the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

You may think that AHB genetics in the gene pool is inconsequential, but what about us northerners that do not migrate and try to overwinter a purchased queen? I've seen mean package bees die at the first frost.

Crazy Roland

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12