golden rod bloom
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default golden rod bloom

am i missing the golden rod reports?

peoria IL and the rod is blooming. this is earlyer than normal due to our long hot dry aug. in the past 3 years its been at least another 2-3 weeks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: golden rod bloom

Yes you are missing reports, several threads have been started as early as august for the north.

Buds started forming last week, no blooms yet. My guess is another week or two for Louisville, we've had plenty of rain.

I have what I think is gollden rod that is blooming, but my bees aren't touching it. Humbles are working it. Ive looked at the pictures but I cant figure why e eryone says bees go crazy for it and in. 2 years of watching I have yet to see bees on it. Am I alone in this or have I misidentified the plant. What I'm calling goldenrod is blooming in west ky now

Does your GR field look similar to this? This was taken on Tuesday, just buds no blooms.

Second round blooming in Indianapolis, and bees are definitely on it. Hoping to see a nice jump in weight.

It's thick here in Missouri.
    No one famous.

I hope we have some Golden Rod. I haven't paid any attention to it until I started raising bees. I haven't seen any yet, but it may have just not started yet here in Texas.

Drove from Indy to Terre Haute today and the GR blooming was HUGE. We spent the day at the Indianapolis art museum, with beautiful gardens. There was GR blooming there and the bees were covering it. One small plant with 30-40 bees on it. Sunday I would like to walk through an 30-40 acre area near my house that has a lot of GR and see if my bees are working it.

Here in KC area Goldenrod is blooming. I have a lot of it around but the bees are not working it. I assume because it's so dry. Goldenrod bloom is sort of strung out so I'm hoping we get some rain and a little bit of a fall flow. There is another insect that looks like lightning bugs that are all over it.

Here in northern Illinois, my bees are bringing in heavy loads of GR. We also have what I believe are yellow asters. I have left one super on each hive but I will soon have to check them as I didn't expect this flow.If there is an adequate amount,I will process it separately and if it turns out to be only a small amount I will leave it for the winter.

I did run down to a field about .3 miles from our house. Two major flowers asters and goldenrod. This field has a creek on one side and is about 30 to 40 acres in size and it is filled with both types of flowers. I was riding bikes today and saw goldenrod for miles along most of the country roads.

The bees are ALL OVER these flowers. A small patch of goldenrod has 8-10 bees on it. I did not open my hives this week end....too busy, but I plan to look next week end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

image.jpg

This is what I'm calling goldenrod. And as I said bumbles are working this bonus no

that's it. maybe it's my eyes but is that one of your bees on the lowest flower head just right of center?

burns375 I'd like to see a picture of that field after the flowers open!

There are several species of goldenrod, and the bees aren't always interested in all of them, nor do they all produce large amounts of nectar every year.

We had some bloom a couple weeks ago, and my bees worked it at least for pollen, but the main crop is just starting to open today. I'm not seeing goldenrod pollen yet, but plenty of light yellow and white pollen, and today there were quite a few bees falling off the landing board trying to get into the hive, must have been full up. Of course, they are all over the burst grapes next door, but I saw a number of them heading north, not east so they have something else they want too.

Quite often they will ignore goldenrod if the sumac is blooming at the same time.

Peter

I usually just do a smell check of the hives for G-rod. At least in my area it is unmistakable. Caught the first whiffs of it yesterday, so they started on it here in the last week or so.

Grod just starting to bloom. Girls arn't working it. Still on white snakeroot for white pollen and this yellow flower with pedals around flower buds. Anyone know the species, is this a variety of grod.

Pics are posted here. Pics are towards middle and end of thread.

Grod in Louisville Pics

Goldenrod is coming into full bloom in my neck of the woods in SW Ohio.

SE MN - Goldenrod around my yards is nearly done, but we're dry as a bone here. Bees are working sneezeweed hard, and the NE Asters are just starting to bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Hautions11 View Post
    Drove from Indy to Terre Haute today and the GR blooming was HUGE. We spent the day at the Indianapolis art museum, with beautiful gardens. There was GR blooming there and the bees were covering it. One small plant with 30-40 bees on it. Sunday I would like to walk through an 30-40 acre area near my house that has a lot of GR and see if my bees are working it.
    I made that drive last week and thought the exact same thing. There is ALOT of Golden Rod through there! I have about 4 acres of it at my house, and the bees are hardly touching it yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast