diy oxalic acid vaporizer - Page 5
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: diy oxalic acid vaporizer

Your all thread is much bigger than your ground wire so it shouldnt affect it one way or the other.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Here's one I'm building to use the 7.3 ford glow plug since I run trucks with this plug mite as well use it . Still got to cut the cup out .
    image.jpg
    Big hammers shatters dreams .

Quote Originally Posted by rookie2531 View Post
    I'm loving it, maybe you can sell 2 and make a little cash. Good job.

As far as snapper says for ground, I did end up touching the threads to a heat sink and the all thread and my ground wire is connected near the handle. I'm not sure if that affects heat up time but it works for me.

Attachment 15827Attachment 15828
    I do need 11 more deeps with foundation, I may have to barter
    Nate Henderson
    "I hate being stung out of ignorance, but it sure happens a lot"

Some vehicles use a glow plug controller to moderate the voltage to the glow plug. Without this they will blow! I believe the Bosch 80010 has a built in controller. Not sure if other models do, KI am not a glow plug expert. Just putting it out there. Hopefully someone can elaborate.
    good luck

Erlaita, to address your question, I'm wondering if a temperature switch might be the lowest cost solution to control the temperature in the range needed. PID or on/off controllers are much more expensive.

Here is a temperature switch that's rated for 15A and seems to kick on/off at appropriate temperatures. At about $8, it's not too expensive. It would turn the heat element off at 169C (336F) and kick it back on at 157C (315F) which should work for this application.

http://www.alliedelec.com/white-rodg...866/#tab=specs

Quote Originally Posted by erlaita View Post
    Hello,

I have another question about the homemade vaporizer: is the temperature control.

- 1) The water of hydration leaves at 101.5 C (214.7 F) The water boils off leaving anhydrous oxalic acid crystals.
    - 2) At 157 C (314.6 F) the oxalic acid starts to sublime (Directly goes from solid to gas)
    - 3) At 189 C (372.2 F) the oxalic acid which has not yet sublimed decomposes to formic acid and carbon monoxide.

You do you use a temperature control system in your DIY vaporizers to prevent decomposition of oxalic?

BeeAttitudes,
    crofter said:
    AC thermostats and circuit breakers are not designed for DC. Direct current tends to arc momentarily when circuit is broken and metal gets transferred from one contact to the other (pitting) I have played with them in making egg incubators. They work for a while and then fail to initiate contact on temperature drop.
    In the datasheet I saw that specifies 120VAC, 240VAC; I think it should be discarded such switc. We must find a controller that operates at 12VDC

My guess is it would last a long time switching 12V DC current as long as you don't exceed the 15 Amp rating. I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by erlaita View Post
    BeeAttitudes,
    crofter said:

In the datasheet I saw that specifies 120VAC, 240VAC; I think it should be discarded such switc. We must find a controller that operates at 12VDC

Quote Originally Posted by BeeAttitudes View Post
    My guess is it would last a long time switching 12V DC current as long as you don't exceed the 15 Amp rating. I wouldn't be afraid to use it.
    AC Thermostats

Some caution is needed if you're using a thermostat not specifically designed for this sort of application. Most thermostats, and other switch gear, is designed for use with AC and relies on the current disappearing every 10 milliseconds or so, as the 50 or 60 Hz AC current changes direction, to stop an arc being drawn. If used with a high current DC source (even one which is well within the current rating of the switch) the arc will tend to persist burning out (perhaps welding shut) the contacts pretty quickly which would be a bad thing.

You could try it; it might last for quite a while. I found the contact degradation destroyed the precise accuracy needed for an egg incubator. There is a lot of design difference in AC and DC thermostats and circuit breakers. The current carrying capacity is not the issue so much as the arc over effect at every occasion the unit cycles.
    Frank

I agree crofter, it will reduce the cycle count which is normally 100,000 cycles. So it might be reduced to what.....20,000 cycles? That would still last a while and if/when it fails, replace it for less than $10. Also, when it fails it will likely fail closed which may cause the vaporizer to overheat till you switched it off (or disconnect it from the battery or maybe it pops the glow plug). How big a deal is that? Again, replace it and possibly replace the glow plug it burnt out.

I still think it would be fine for a homemade vaporizer. The alternatives are to find a similar temp switch that is rated for switching roughly 15 Amps of 12V DC power and get it cheap (if it's not cheap, you might as well purchase a factory unit). So far, I haven't been able to locate one (hopefully someone will and will post a link here). If we don't locate one, it seems this one will work fine.

FYI, I called the mfg and spoke with their design engineer. This was designed for AC use and they recommend it for AC use.......but they do have a few customers that use this design to switch 12V DC power (he mentioned a seat warmer in a vehicle). He said it would definitely reduce the cycle count but he couldn't say by how much without extensive testing switching a similar load. So he can't recommend it without specific testing.

So while not ideal, it will work. If it only holds up for 10,000 cycles....that is a lot of treatments.......especially for a hobbyist. Does anyone have a better/cheaper solution to keep the temperature in the ideal range?

Edit to add: PM me and I can supply the engineer's contact info

skip the thermostat like everybody else does.. run it thru a couple of cycles outside the hive with a watch. then do what works, as the battery goes dead it will take longer to heat by a little bit. it is not like the oxalic acid is real expensive, if you get it too hot, you get some formic acid which is the treatment for tracheal mites. you are over-thinking this. just figure out how long it takes to vaporize the crystals, cool it a set amount of time and repeat.

I made a video that shows how I made my vaporizer and how I did my treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnydLUfXyMs

Vince

Real good video Vince and a class A+ job.The only thing is 99% of us have no cnc machine nor know how to even use one.I think people need to see how to make one with limited resources."a poor man's vaporizer".

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    Real good video Vince and a class A+ job.The only thing is 99% of us have no cnc machine nor know how to even use one.I think people need to see how to make one with limited resources."a poor man's vaporizer".
    I realize that most people do not have access to a CNC machine. But one of the reasons for the video is to show the inner workings of the vaporizer. I use the tools I have at hand. BTW, building/rebuilding CNC machines is another hobby of mine.

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I realize that most people do not have access to a CNC machine. But one of the reasons for the video is to show the inner workings of the vaporizer. I use the tools I have at hand. BTW, building/rebuilding CNC machines is another hobby of mine. Vince
    Vince,
    Perhaps you could make and sell the pans to folks who like to take it from there and make their own? Just a thought.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Vince, a few questions if you don't mind.

- What volume is your cavity that holds the OA powder? And does it seem large enough to hold and vaporize 3g of OA without spilling while boiling (even if not perfectly level)?

- What size is the AL block?

- I see you did some temperature testing. What was the max temp the AL block reached with the glow plug running?

- Finally, do you know the amperage (or wattage) of that glow plug?

Thanks!

The simplest I have found. A 12"-18" long 1/2"copper pipe with one end smashed close. Pour in the dose. Gently and evenly heat up the pipe with propane torch. Use a pair of vise grips for a handle.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHz4B1vqKo

Here is a very simple design.
    You can even skip the fittings to make it even simpler.
    Elev 407 ft 47.39 N, 122.15 W

Beepeep, that is simple. After reading about how nasty this stuff is, I don't want that close when it turns to vapor.

Beepeep, that is a simple way. I made one and the realized I was spending too much time on my knees with a torch. Electric ones allow you to do something else while it is working, and keep away from the vapor. I cheated though and bought one. Thanks SNL.

I was able to answer a few of my own questions (a couple still unanswered).

I re-watched the video and you stated the aluminum block was roughly 1" x 1.5". Judging from the 1/2" thickness I would guess the size closer to 1.5" x 2". I'm still curious the dimensions of the cavity for OA and if you think it is large enough for 3g treatment without boiling over while evaporating (which seems about the max that would normally be used).

I looked up the glow plug you used (Autolite 1107) and it is the same as a Bosch 80034 or an AC Delco 60G. the AC Delco 60G is rated at 170 Watts so at 12V DC that is roughly 14 Amps. I would guess the Autolite and Bosch plugs use a similar wattage. FYI, these plugs are rated for 11V.

I like your compact design. I would sure be helpful to know the max temperature the aluminum block reaches when the glow plug is left powered on. I seen you had an infrared temp measurement tool in the video so I hope you can share that information. Will it get up over 400F?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeAttitudes View Post
    Vince, a few questions if you don't mind.

- What volume is your cavity that holds the OA powder? And does it seem large enough to hold and vaporize 3g of OA without spilling while boiling (even if not perfectly level)?

- What size is the AL block?

- I see you did some temperature testing. What was the max temp the AL block reached with the glow plug running?

- Finally, do you know the amperage (or wattage) of that glow plug?

Thanks!
    Last edited by BeeAttitudes; 02-19-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Vince, Thanks for the video. I do not have access to a machine shop, only do some woodworking. Would you consider making the aluminum tray with the mill work done and selling them? I could do the rest of the work. Thanks Mary [email protected]

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast