diy oxalic acid vaporizer - Page 4
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: diy oxalic acid vaporizer

Well, there you go! I am a day late and a dollar short with my idea. It would be nice to have a quicker way to get a measured dose into multiple hives without the uncontrolled blowing around and unmeasured delivery of some of the commercial versions we have seen videos of. I am happy with the bare bones models but do not ever plan to get big (and spoil my fun)

Quote Originally Posted by mgstei1 View Post
    Compounder working on it now for 1/2, 1 and 2 g pills. The pill manufacturers want to use a lubricant for their machines to spit em out cause the OA crystals are I guess different, and I have refused to accept them with a lubricant. I have a small pill maker that is 8mm in diameter and can turn out several a minute but the pill makers can do thousands. I had planned on putting them in push out plastic pill dispensers so exposure to the acid would be less than using a scoop. They are available in Europe in a bottle but shipping is costly compared to manufacture here.
    Anybody out there work in a pill manufacturing facility ? I talked with one in New England and the least they would set up for is a 1 ton run and their machines required lubricants.
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

whats that ol saying in the union shop ?
    Give the nastiest, sorriest, hardest, most difficult that the brightest and best employee has tried to do to the sorriest, laziest, no count employee, and he/she will find the easiest, best, cheapest way to get it done.

I'm lazy and have worked around hazardous chemicals all my life as an Instrument/Electrical Journeyman in most of the chemical plants along the Texas coast and still hate being exposed to them.
    I wear gloves and a respirator and sometimes a face shield if the bees will let me using the OAV. Get a mean spirited lady under a plastic faceshield and the sound and nearness is unbearable.
    OAV works and works well on mites. How it don't bother the girls is beyond me. But chemicals have always fascinated me on how you can make, apply or swallow something so good outa something so bad to start with, is way beyond me.

Will a vaporizer work if you have screened bottom boards?

Vince

Sure a vaporizer will work with SBB. However, you need to get a piece of aluminum flashing or heavy duty aluminum foil to cover it. The covering does not have to be perfect.......... either of those items will work just fine. I believe the flashing would be easier to manipulate but you probably have heavy duty aluminum foil in your kit cabinet.........
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Just got through making 4 of them using HeadNuts drawing. Looks great, have to be a little careful as block is .50 thick and the glow plug is .475 so no room for error. I will try it in the morning to see how it does. I guess I need to get a timer and do a dry run to see how long to leave in hive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nate Henderson
    "I hate being stung out of ignorance, but it sure happens a lot"

Hi,
    Red wire is connected to glow plug about black? to handle rod? The hole for handle is drilled thru?
    I can't see it on any pictures.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dyzio View Post
    Hi,
    Red wire is connected to glow plug about black? to handle rod? The hole for handle is drilled thru?
    I can't see it on any pictures.

chris
    Yes, I put double nuts on the 5/16 all thread and grounded there. The black goes in the yellow connector in picture. I did not have wired in pic.
    Nate Henderson
    "I hate being stung out of ignorance, but it sure happens a lot"

One question.How do you keep from blowing the glow plugs? I have tried two glow plugs and they heat up for a few seconds and you hear then spit and they are shot! I thought I would just try this little project this morning and made one with some copper pipe.A 4" piece of 3/4" copper pipe split and flattened.Then rolled up the long ends.One to fit the 5/16' all thread and the other to fit the glow plug.The other ends I used a hack saw and made a couple cuts next to the rolled ends so as to have a flap to bend up to make the cup.Used a little solder to fill the cut gaps.It didnt take long at all.The only problem is shorting the glow plugs after only a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by nater37 View Post
    Just got through making 4 of them using HeadNuts drawing. Looks great, have to be a little careful as block is .50 thick and the glow plug is .475 so no room for error. I will try it in the morning to see how it does. I guess I need to get a timer and do a dry run to see how long to leave in hive.
    Man I love the opportunity to jump in and make one of these things....I just have so many sticks in the fire right now and I will probably have to just suck it up and buy one.... but I am going to save this post so I can make one anyway before springtime or copy the one I buy... Thanks!!!

Here is the one I made this morning and it was really easy.Now if someone can tell me about why it blows glow plugs in only a few seconds.150204_001.jpg

Hey do you have a side view of this puppy? Perhaps it the wrong glow plug....now you are making me want to play with this and try to make one!!!!! nice jwork snapper
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    Here is the one I made this morning and it was really easy.Now if someone can tell me about why it blows glow plugs in only a few seconds.150204_001.jpg

Most likely a plug not designed for 12Volts. Some are designed to be supplied through a voltage reducing controller of the vehicle. Also common on a lot of homemades is that the body of the plug is mounted into the heated tray. Have a look at a plug and you will see the internal parts are insulated from the shell by a type of plastic. When screwed into an engine head the mass of the cylinder head keeps the body of the plug a lot cooler than when it is in a vaporizer with a temperature around 350 F. Not ideal! Only the hot tip of the glow plug should contact the tray.
    Frank

Here is another pic.To bend those edges up to make the pan all I used was a crescent wrench.vap2.jpgvap3.jpg

Crofter I was wondering about the tip of the glow plug being in contact with the metal plate but I couldnt tell in the pics of others if that was the way they had done it.How about it others are your tips contacting the pans?

The one I made does. The tip slides in the drilled hole and, I have a set screw that comes in from the side to clamp it tight to the vap. Pan.

It was a little big, so I used 2 glow plugs.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...5-homemade-oav

Would you think one would be enough for this pan I made or would I need two.I saw one similar to what I made on youtube and his has only one.

I enlarged the pan on one model because if found that during boil off some of the oxallic liquid overflowed and got wasted. With only one plug the larger pan was a bit slower to finish vaporizing. It is important to have good contact between the pan and only the heating tip of the glow plug. The set screw system like what rookie did is the simplest.Below is a snip from another thread of another method.
    Dave H
    Re: homemade oav
    The heating element in mine is a very tight fit. I had to heat the aluminum with a torch and put the glowplug on ice to get it in position. My thinking being that a tight fit means a more effective transfer of heat.

The body of the plug should not be in tight contact with the tray as that would be a heat loss and not healthy for the glow plug.
    Last edited by crofter; 02-05-2015 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    One question.How do you keep from blowing the glow plugs?
    some automotive applications used 6 volt glow plugs or something else, you only want to use 12 volt ones with a 12 volt battery. you need good contact from the tip to the bowl. you really do not want to heat the threaded part of the glow plug space it back. glow plugs are designed usualy for hot side red [positive], but reversing the leads makes no difference.

By your pic it looks like the side of the plug is what is in contact with the pan. You want the plug below the threads to contact the pan. In other words the hot part of the plug should be in contact with the pan and not the threads or body above it.

Your threaded part is your ground.Without a ground you have no circuit.No circuit no heat.

Quote Originally Posted by nater37 View Post
    I'm loving it, maybe you can sell 2 and make a little cash. Good job.

As far as snapper says for ground, I did end up touching the threads to a heat sink and the all thread and my ground wire is connected near the handle. I'm not sure if that affects heat up time but it works for me.

OAV LONGVIEW.jpgOAV CLOSEUP.jpg
    Last edited by rookie2531; 02-05-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast