diy oxalic acid vaporizer - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: diy oxalic acid vaporizer

I have 2 and will run them off a 12 volt motor cycle battery. Lets me do one side of a pallet at a time. I think that I can drive 4 off of one battery on apposing pallets. so I am looking to expand to 8 at a time.

I bought them from the guy here in the states that sells them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I built mine and paid around $25 for the aluminum. That bought enough to make about 5-6 units. Then with glow plug, scrap handles, wire, and clamps each will come out to be around $20-25 bucks. Order aluminum stock off of ebay. Hardest thing is hollowing out the acid "bowl" for me.

SCpossum I know what you mean about making the acid bowl. What I did the four I made I laid out the bowl then drilled four holes in the corners then milled it out on this old milling machine just don't drill the holes all the way through the bottom.

No, the aluminum will not react with the OA. Maybe this is a weaker acid.
    I have made a simple small bowl out of the heavy duty aluminum foil.
    Then use a small candle flame to burn off the OA at the
    hive bottom with a 2" hole thru the bottom board. The hive must use shims to
    raise it so the bees will not get burn too. After a few tests run I got it. And the
    mites are dropping like flies after the first 2 rounds of treatment. I use 1/2 teaspoon
    per nuc hive. And time it to 3 minutes then removed the flame.
    It works though very primitive method for a small scale hobby hives.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

[QUOTE=beepro;120628l the burning experiment had failed!!!!!!!!
    Why? Because apparently OA in powder form does not dissolve in water that well. So another approach maybe needed like
    mixing with essential oil or something. OA sprinkled on paper does not burn well either. It solidified after got in contact with the fire.
    But I found a better way:
    I got it! Cost less than .10 cents to burn. And only took 30 seconds to see the vapor for a
    complete 2 minutes of clean burn (1 teaspoon of OA) using this process. No electricity is necessary using everyday household materials.
    I dare not to publish it afraid to put the oav gadgets out of commission. Got cough a little more than I wanted for not wearing
    my respirator. Got 2 mins of vid on it while burning and lots of good pics too. Yes, I do see the spiky crystals also. It works![/QUOTE]

Did you mix it with drano? Also, I don't think it worked, if you see a small version of superman's house.

It works! The small shiny white OA crystals consolidated on my nitrile glove during the test
    burn. When burning at the hive the fumes went all over the hive with some escaping
    out the crevices too. I saw dead mites today. Did a treatment on last Sat and again yesterday.
    Will do one more tomorrow. The bees seem o.k. after the OA burning. Mite level had decreased
    significantly inside the hive. And did not mixed in with anything either, no drano only the OA powder.
    Will be interested in when you can make better improvements on my primitive burning method. Already
    got a better way devised for this process. Can you?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Here is another technique for you to try, Beepro ...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    On the subject of untested ideas. Here is a poor mans method of OAV. Get a small metal cup. Walmart has some for about 99 cents for 4. place a lit hooka coal in it and then put a dose of OA on a piece of aluminum foil. Place that on top of the frames of your hive. cover it and walk away. you can come back in an hour or two or the next day and remove the cup. Not my favorite way to do it and you do not get that really great cloud like you do with the vaporizers. but it does work. I still keep coals and cups on hand. if I am running short on time during one of my scheduled treatment days I can grab those coals lite them all with a torch. drop them in the cups with a small pair of tongs. get the OA doses set up and drop them in the hives. I can treat 20 hives this way in about 10 minutes. When I get back from whatever. I can go back out and remove the cups.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Hello,

I have another question about the homemade vaporizer: is the temperature control.

- 1) The water of hydration leaves at 101.5 C (214.7 F) The water boils off leaving anhydrous oxalic acid crystals.
    - 2) At 157 C (314.6 F) the oxalic acid starts to sublime (Directly goes from solid to gas)
    - 3) At 189 C (372.2 F) the oxalic acid which has not yet sublimed decomposes to formic acid and carbon monoxide.

You do you use a temperature control system in your DIY vaporizers to prevent decomposition of oxalic?

Thanks for all the input guys
    Nate Henderson
    "I hate being stung out of ignorance, but it sure happens a lot"

Hello,
    I've been looking at some thermostats operating in the range of vaporization of oxalic. There are two components used in appliances, perhaps, could be used in the vaporizer:

Electric iron thermostat:
    ux_a14051400ux0536_ux_c.jpg

Deep fryer thermostat:
    ux_a14030700ux0838_ux_c.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by erlaita; 01-27-2015 at 03:22 AM.

I just tore apart my wife's iron last week and got the thermostat out of it and am in the middle of building a vaporizer to see how this works out.

Will Ac work with Dc current? I notice that both these pets are Ac components. If you are building an Ac unit, I would be afraid to use it in the field so to electrocution.
    Nate Henderson
    "I hate being stung out of ignorance, but it sure happens a lot"

I do not think there is any danger: the thermostat has a metal contact, which would be to cut a 12V DC voltage.

Actually using some of your "inventiveness" for a possible new vaporizer......thanks and good luck with yours!
    Last edited by Barry; 01-27-2015 at 08:50 AM.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

AC thermostats and circuit breakers are not designed for DC. Direct current tends to arc momentarily when circuit is broken and metal gets transferred from one contact to the other (pitting) I have played with them in making egg incubators. They work for a while and then fail to initiate contact on temperature drop.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    AC thermostats and circuit breakers are not designed for DC. Direct current tends to arc momentarily when circuit is broken and metal gets transferred from one contact to the other (pitting) I have played with them in making egg incubators. They work for a while and then fail to initiate contact on temperature drop.
    Maybe those of you thinking Electric should consider using a rheostat (?) ( variable resistor) for control. I would monitor temp using the non-contact thermometer I bought for my day job ($25 at harbor frieght) but if I had to go buy the thermometer for this project,, that might exceed the cost to just buy a store bought unit?
    I like the idea posted by DanielY in another thread, & quoted above about putting a coal in a cup, putting oa in a tin foil over it & walking away. I dont like the idea of setting my hive on fIre though
    some one said they used 1/2 teaspoon of oa to treat a hive ... I got out my new scale I bought at walmart for under $20, set it to metric scale, enough sugar to see what 1 gram of sugar looked like.
    sugar is 1/2 teaspoon per gram with this device.maybe I should measure the wt. of 4 teaspoons & divide, since this won't measure smaller increments than 1 gram. this might be 1.99 gram for all I know. I checked google for grams to ounces conversion, 28.xxxx grams per ounce.
    I ordered 2 pounds oa from ebay, ($12, including shipping) should show up this week.
    I guess I would _like_ a device a could carry from hive to hive like a smoker, stick the nozzel in the entrance & puff x number of times, or turn on a battery operated fan for x number of seconds, then move on to the next. I only have 4 , no 3 hives at home ( one died) & 3 at my mothers house, so I am really small scale. would be nice if the parts were something that worked for other uses too, not just once per year. batteries used once a year blah blah.
    just dreamin'.
    Last edited by tech.35058; 01-27-2015 at 11:15 AM.

I agree with both sides ..

A one time cost then it's $.10 per treatment, but with about $20 in parts - that's a whole lot of treatments at $.10 each hive. Other treatments aside, as we all know/try to follow those also - but $125 or $165 ???

Testing one now without a PID controller but simply using the burn cup mass to keep temp below 350degF and the heating device below a 5 amp current draw @ 12vdc and only pulling 50 watts.(2g burnoff @<5min)
    Also, have a compounder developing a safer delivery method for the OA.
    Will be American made and hopefully American made parts. Still researching 1 item made overseas(China) and may be outa luck on availability here.

I did a OA weight in using my reloading powder scales in grains and did the multiple conversions. Tech. you might be advised to do 10 charges and divide if your scale has that coarse of graduations. Just from memory I came to the conclusion that half a teaspoon was a bit more than 2 grams but is what I use for a double deep.

I had the thought that it would be nice to have OA pellets of approx. 1 gram that you could drop down a snap cap covered tube into the temperature controlled pan. This way you would not have to cool the evaporator between burn offs. Probably the recreational drug boys could point us to a suitable pill maker and an anti hygroscopic coating for our mite pills!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I did a OA weight in using my reloading powder scales in grains and did the multiple conversions. Tech. you might be advised to do 10 charges and divide if your scale has that coarse of graduations. Just from memory I came to the conclusion that half a teaspoon was a bit more than 2 grams but is what I use for a double deep.

I had the thought that it would be nice to have OA pellets of approx. 1 gram that you could drop down a snap cap covered tube into the temperature controlled pan. This way you would not have to cool the evaporator between burn offs. Probably the recreational drug boys could point us to a suitable pill maker and an anti hygroscopic coating for our mite pills!
    Compounder working on it now for 1/2, 1 and 2 g pills. The pill manufacturers want to use a lubricant for their machines to spit em out cause the OA crystals are I guess different, and I have refused to accept them with a lubricant. I have a small pill maker that is 8mm in diameter and can turn out several a minute but the pill makers can do thousands. I had planned on putting them in push out plastic pill dispensers so exposure to the acid would be less than using a scoop. They are available in Europe in a bottle but shipping is costly compared to manufacture here.
    Anybody out there work in a pill manufacturing facility ? I talked with one in New England and the least they would set up for is a 1 ton run and their machines required lubricants.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast