diy oxalic acid vaporizer - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: diy oxalic acid vaporizer

Let's challenge ourselves to come up with one that we can make for under $30.00
    Could we perhaps make one out of every day parts found in a hardware store, without the need to weld anything or mill out a cup?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

O.k. then. That is the easy challenge. Here is my little mite strip experiment.
    Put some water into a few table spoon of OA. Then take some small paper strips to dip
    them in. After the strips are dried put them under the removable bottom board to burn into the hive.
    The bottom board has a 2" shim line with heavy duty aluminum foil at the bottom for a clean
    burning. Light a few strips every time you are out there to get rid of the mites. Saw this one on
    you tube vid. Nothing to drill or screw onto. You think this is doable?

Cheap OA:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by beepro; 01-14-2015 at 02:32 AM.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

>Let's challenge ourselves to come up with one that we can make for under $30.00
    It's already been done. YouTube is full of DIY OA ideas; cost me .50 worth of pipe.

>After the strips are dried put them under the removable bottom board to burn into the hive.
    The bottom board has a 2" shim line with heavy duty aluminum foil at the bottom for a clean
    burning.
    This is a new approach.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    After the strips are dried put them under the removable bottom board to burn into the hive.
    I would be curious to know if the fire/burning didn't cause a chemical change/degradation of the OA
    Below is a link to the combustion equation of Oxalic Acid, in a prefect chemical reaction (open fire under a hive is not) you would only get CO2 and water:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...9182817AAwQqXE

Also, the sublimation* temperature of oxalic acid is 147 degrees C (297 degrees F), while the temperature at which paper burns is much higher (papers vary, but think of Farenheit 451).

I'm not a chemist - or a chemical engineer, but that might be a concern.

*(sublimation is the process of turning a solid into a gas without going through a liquid phase)
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Well the burning experiment had failed!!!!!!!!
    Why? Because apparently OA in powder form does not dissolve in water that well. So another approach maybe needed like
    mixing with essential oil or something. OA sprinkled on paper does not burn well either. It solidified after got in contact with the fire.
    But I found a better way:
    I got it! Cost less than .10 cents to burn. And only took 30 seconds to see the vapor for a
    complete 2 minutes of clean burn (1 teaspoon of OA) using this process. No electricity is necessary using everyday household materials.
    I dare not to publish it afraid to put the oav gadgets out of commission. Got cough a little more than I wanted for not wearing
    my respirator. Got 2 mins of vid on it while burning and lots of good pics too. Yes, I do see the spiky crystals also. It works!
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

ford 7.3 L powerstrokes take glowplugs I have installed lots of them over the yrs tried autolight and others they seem to blow up kinda with a pop sound when over heated even the bosh but the factory motorcraft you can buy even in the parts stores are are a couple bucks more but are self regulating and last a lot longer when running them continuous with out using glow plug timer relay

Beepro that is like saying I have video proof showing pots of gold at the end of rainbows but won't publish them for fear of putting the gold miners out of business. If it is really so easy share, and help everyone
    Last edited by Fishman43; 01-15-2015 at 07:02 AM.

It works!
    Prove it.
    Regards, Barry

Where can I find a block of aluminum to make this with? I searched all my junk stuff and can find nothing.
    Thanks

Archerman
    Here's a pic of one I made.
    If you will P M me I have lots of alum plate 1/2" thick free to you, I 'm not too far from you I'm in west Ga off I 20.

Headnut, I like your slim oav version. Very professional done.
    Mind giving the dimensions of each pieces? i.e. the block, drill size use, etc.
    And where the negative terminal is connected to? I only see the hot wire connect to
    the plug.

Headnut, I like your slim oav version. Very professional done.
    Mind giving the dimensions of each pieces? i.e. the block, drill size use, etc.
    And where the negative terminal is connected to? I only see the hot wire connect to
    the plug.
    I believe he has the neg. Wired at the end of the all thread and wood handle. I put mine there also, but no wood handle on mine.

Drawing.

What size and number
    is your glow plug

Budsbees
    My glo plug is a Autolite 1104.
    Someone .suggested a Motorcraft for a Ford power stroke.

Using a propane torch as the heat source would be nice as its a lot of heat and lighter than a typical battery. The downside of the torch designs above is that you can't see the OA while heating it to know when you are done. Glass holds up well to heat. Maybe a small paint bottle with a decently thick wall would make a good reservoir. If one could find a small jar with a threaded neck and then get an air tight connection to a pipe, you would have a cheap and user friendly design. Just unscrew the jar to refill.

Or maybe one of those test tubes with a cork in the opening with a tube running through the middle of the cork.
    Last edited by BeeAttitudes; 01-17-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Also, the sublimation temperature of oxalic acid is 147 degrees C (297 degrees F) ...
    I made an error in the sublimation temperature of oxalic acid in post #25. The temperature in the document is 157 degrees C, which converts to 314.6 F.

Source document: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng0529.html
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Hello,
    I am a newcomer; must excuse me if I make some foolish question.
    I've been watching the projects that are in the forum to build a vaporizer oxalic. My first question is about the material: aluminum is suitable as a container for holding the boiling acid? It is not corroded by acid? I thought using stainless, but it is much harder to do machining at home. I prefer to use aluminum, if there are no drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by erlaita View Post
    Hello,
    I am a newcomer; must excuse me if I make some foolish question.
    I've been watching the projects that are in the forum to build a vaporizer oxalic. My first question is about the material: aluminum is suitable as a container for holding the boiling acid? It is not corroded by acid? I thought using stainless, but it is much harder to do machining at home. I prefer to use aluminum, if there are no drawbacks.
    No foolish questions here. Aluminum is just fine and it is what is used by most and no, it is not corroded by the OA. Stainless is better as it allows a more even distribution of heat but you'll be just fine using aluminum.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast